Archive for Friday, August 4, 2006

Crash injures two teens

Car rolled over north of Lawrence

August 4, 2006

Two teens were taken to the hospital this morning-- one by air ambulance and one by ground ambulance -- after a rollover wreck north of Lawrence, according to the Kansas Highway Patrol.

Terry Allen Gray, 17, Lawrence, was driving a 1993 BMW west on North 2000 Road near U.S. Highway 24-59 shortly after midnight when he lost control, entered the south ditch, then the north ditch and rolled several times. Gray was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected. He was flown to St. Luke's Medical Center, Kansas City, Mo.

A male passenger, Lindsay Scripps Dyche, 16, who was wearing a seat belt, was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Comments

gphawk89 7 years, 8 months ago

"Too much performance for a young driver...."

Maybe, but (barring mechanical failure) losing control of a car is ultimately the driver's fault, not the car's. Many of my classmates in high school had "performance" cars (60's Mustangs, Camaros, Barracudas, and the like) at that age. I don't remember those being a problem - no injury accidents or fatalities. My SS396 Camaro, which I started driving when I was 16, could get an inexperienced driver into trouble real quick if they weren't careful, but I never had a problem with it. You just need to know the limits of your car, and the limits of your own driving ability, and not exceed them - doesn't matter what kind of car it is.

I hope both kids pull through this OK, and maybe learn that they really aren't invinceable, as many teens seem to think. Of course, maybe it's not totally the driver's fault (avoiding a deer, for example). We'll see...

ilujenn 7 years, 8 months ago

At the end of the day a young boy is still fighting for his life . Regardless of what kind of car he was driving or what time of the day or night it was he is still a human being with family . Why don't you show a little compassion . I certainly hope that none of you ever have to face this but , just imagine if that was your family member would you want people to make jokes about the situation ?

anonymous_ljworld_poster 7 years, 8 months ago

Baille..

"More probably the more........"

Huh? What?

holygrailale 7 years, 8 months ago

I had a college roommate who owned a 914 Porsche.

His Dad owned a BMW and, according to my roommate, regularly smoked him on the highway.

=======================================

Wear your seatbelt from now on and pray for Terry Gray and his family. Pray for Lindsay Dyche and his family as well.

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

To heck with the BMW M5, give me a Subaru Impreza any day.

For the price at least :) BTW, this link is unlikely to last very long...

JLoh21 7 years, 8 months ago

Remind them to make sure that they have signed the organ donor slot on the back of their driver's liscenses before their next drive. Just in case they haven't learned anything lasting from their experience of this morning.

Curtis Lange 7 years, 8 months ago

Who cares what kind of car they were driving (and I DO know my BMWs). The kind of car they were driving in played little to no part in the accident. This could have happened in a Kia with the same results.

Just another example of why you NEED to wear your seatbelt!

Baille 7 years, 8 months ago

"...or else we'd be hearing from their supports lecturing us about "how dare us posters take them to task for being so reckless and stupid!! Can't you see that these two young INNOCENT boys are no longer with us??!! Show some compassion!!..."

Maybe. More probably the more even-keeled among us would just mark you off as another jerk with more mouth than sense and move on.

Maybe not.

youngitized 7 years, 8 months ago

My prayers are with the two kids as well as their families.

sweetpeagj 7 years, 8 months ago

Actually, TJ is a very good kid with a very confused father. I know both of them very well. TJ has waited for two years too be able to get this car. The dad had this car well maintained and they had only bought it about four years ago maybe three from the dealership. TJ has a curfew and tries to be a good person but his father is messed up like I stated earlier. I need to call him and make sure TJ and the passenger are both ok.

theitalian78 7 years, 8 months ago

TRYING TO IMPRESS A GIRL DRUNK IS WRONG.

anonymous_ljworld_poster 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm guessing it may have been the grays (you know the grays, don't you?...they're the midget/4 foot high aliens with them ultra-thin necks, large bulbous heads, no body hair whatsoever and....ooooh!....those big almond-shaped eyes!)

Them grays are always up to no good!

anonymous_ljworld_poster 7 years, 8 months ago

Uh-huh. Sure, momma. Whatever you say.

And, hey, maybe they saw a flying saucer hovering above their car...and when the saucer shined its "ultra-white bright light" down on the Beemer....the boys both freaked out and lost control and then went off the road??

..................Hmmm...........

I wonder if them aliens were "the grays".....or "the lizard people"?

I need to listen to George Noory on late-night radio more often and get up to snuff on recent alien encounters!!

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

well as we do not have all the details we really do not know anything do we. For all any one knows they were trying not to hit an animal or had a blow out anything could have happened.

anonymous_ljworld_poster 7 years, 8 months ago

Well, at least they didn't die.........

or else we'd be hearing from their supports lecturing us about "how dare us posters take them to task for being so reckless and stupid!! Can't you see that these two young INNOCENT boys are no longer with us??!! Show some compassion!!"

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Blah! Blah! Blah!

Whatever.

..............and once again, I'll say that thank God these two young male idiots didn't kill any truly INNOCENT motorists.....which, from the sounds of things....they could have easily done!!

reginafliangie 7 years, 8 months ago

Probably both on that issue Dad.

badger 7 years, 8 months ago

75x55 -

That would be why I found it intriguing. I understand that BMW puts out and has put out a number of fairly high-performance cars which might still be fairly fierce and powerful at age 13, but they've also put out a number of family sedans (my parents had one many years ago when we lived in Germany), so powershopper's blanket statement raised my eyebrows.

Perhaps I just don't know that much about BMWs.

75x55 7 years, 8 months ago

"I hope these kids recover quickly and completely.

I'm intrigued by the notion that a 13-year-old BMW is really so very much more powerful than other things a teen might drive."

Same hopes for recovery. Gotta wonder how much 'performance' is left in a 13 yr old BMW that teen would drive - ya don't see many in very good shape that are that old, odd as that seems to be. Used to hear horror stories from owners facing the dreaded 6-month maintenance visit...

Steve Jacob 7 years, 8 months ago

17 years old AND driving at night are never a good mix, even sober. There's a reason why your insurence skyrockets when you put your teen on your policy.

cnorwoodus 7 years, 8 months ago

Maybe he was trying to hurry home to his midnight curfew.

atat_at_at_at 7 years, 8 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 8 months ago

"Terry Allen Gray, 17, Lawrence, was driving a 1993 BMW west on North 2000 Road near U.S. Highway 24-59 shortly after midnight"

Breaking curfew, or lack of curfew?

badger 7 years, 8 months ago

I hope these kids recover quickly and completely.

prioress 7 years, 8 months ago

"Too much performance for a young driver...." Good point. Anytime one "loses control" 98%+ of the time the reason is excessive speed. I hope the kids recover.

dhill00 7 years, 8 months ago

Yeah powershopper, but you can handle anything and everything. small weiner

powershopper 7 years, 8 months ago

Never let a teen get behind the wheel of a BMW. Too much performance for a young driver....

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

oh my I hope the 17yr old is doing ok being ejected is never a good thing. speedy recovery for both I hope.