Archive for Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Investigation prompts speculation of homicide

Victim may have died after weekend attack

August 2, 2006

Dist. Atty. Charles Branson was mum Tuesday on the condition of a 37-year-old woman who was the victim of weekend domestic violence at Gaslight Village mobile-home park, 1900 W. 31st St.

That and other activity prompted speculation throughout the day from courthouse sources that the woman had died from her injuries.

But Branson said he would neither confirm or deny that speculation.

The woman suffered internal injuries and possible broken bones and was admitted to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. LMH officials said Tuesday she no longer was a patient there. But their records did not say where she had gone. That suggested she had either been transported to another hospital or had perhaps died.

The woman's boyfriend, Christopher Belone, 35, already has been charged with aggravated battery "whereby great bodily harm or death could result." Branson said he likely would make an additional statement about the case this morning.

"If we receive additional information on the case, we would review the matter for any additional or amended charges," he said.

According to a police report, the woman went to an acquaintance's residence on Saturday at Gaslight Village, drank alcohol and went to sleep in one of the bedrooms. The report said she was awakened about 2:30 p.m. by Belone dragging her out of bed and beating her. At one point, he picked up a piece of wood and struck her in the face, the report said.

Lawrence Police said Tuesday they did not have any additional information to release about the case.

Staff writer Ron Knox contributed to this report.

Comments

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by holygrailale (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 7:12 p.m. (Suggest removal)

freudian_slip:

No, I just find it funny that a person can both express a stereotype belief and embody it all in the same thread.

Is ironic the word I am looking for, or hypocritical? Not sure, I'll use both.

I'm done because I do not want to step on the toes of those who are having a serious discussion now. Bye, bye flailing ale.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

this is what I was trefering to, there are two threads going

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

I tell you what really makes me angry is when something like this happens I would think news stations could find a better photo than a mug shot.

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

He did that as well which is why she broke up with him.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

by physical action I ment putting his hands on her. they can do all the other stuff and nothing will be done.

holygrailale 7 years, 8 months ago

freudian_slip:

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

Oh, he has taken physical action. He said he was going to get her financially. She had to file for bankruptcy. He put in a claim for some "work" he had done. So she has to see him for that. He has brought false accusations to court about her which results in more time with her lawyer and more money she has to spend.

He said he would get her fired. All the letters sent to the company have been traced back to his ex-wife. She is frequently seen with him and even shows up to all the court dates & hearings with him and their son.

It goes on. Hopefully some day she will be free of him. She only dated him for a year and she has been dealing with him for a little over 3 now.

I try to help where I can. I don't live in the same town as her so it is limited help.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

The problem , it is only considered terroristic threat, he must take physical action first. keeping letters, messages etc is good for getting the restraining order and renewals, but they are also limited. I have a friend right now who is stay in a domestic violence shelter and he is harassing her by asking the police to do safety checks on the kids. So when the police see her in the community they pull her over and do their job. it is very stressful. Another thing that happens alot is friends get frustrated with women who stay and stop coming around, the abuser preferes that .

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

It simply is not as easy as it seems to go and even harder to stay away.

Preaching to the choir here, Enforcer. I have a close friend and co-worker who has been dealing with an ex-boyfriend since over 2 years ago. The ex-boyfriend even got his ex-wife (that is how manipulative some are) to harass my friend - to the point of calling the office repeatedly and writing a letter to the president of the KS portion of our company and accusing her of vairous actions that would get anyone fired from their job.

My friend has been interviewed by company security each and every time accusations came up and every time she was cleared because she did not of it. The ex-boyfriend harassed her elderly mother. She is still dealing with all of this in court because the ex-boyfriend has a lawyer who keeps getting an extension on the court date (for restraining orders). She has gone through hell and this is for someone who was not married to the guy so I imagine it is even more difficult for those who are.

BTW, she has all the answering machine messages where this man has vowed to destroy her. He lists out each action he will take until she is broken. He has taken action on almost all of them so far.

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

I saw the article on the home page here. But thanks for offering.

swbsow:

The Kansas City news stations are reporting that she died. I don't know how to post a link or I would provide one for you. It's under the Latest Stories section of the LJWorld home page too. Crime blotter.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

ok guys ( no gender specified) This is indeed the problem at hand; people do not understand. So instead of doing this tit for tat stuff, let's dispel the illusions.
We have established it is not social or economic dynamics that create domestic violence, nor are the women who stay stupid. Drugs and alcoholo are not always involved but when they are the situation is drastically escalated.
The update posted appeared to my understanding that she was away from him and he returned despite a restraining order. This is another issue and one I feel very strongly about based on my experience. Law enforcement does not like to deal with domestic situations ( here and now I will admit that I was ambivalent and nasty when the police showed up) Victims of domestic violence( I hate that term too) tend to protect the aggressor, I know I did which perpetuates the cycle. Getting out is not the end in my experience he continued to stalk consistently for a long time and even now resurfaces just to cause grief. I have a letter ( made copies for victim witness coordinator and police dept) that clearly states his intention to kill me, if I had stayed I would already be dead. In any case because the victims of such crime are ambivelant it is difficult to resolve the issue. many women leave, get order of restraint etc., only to return later because they want to believe that he has changed. I was one that would never leave. Officers would talk to me at the hospital trying to get me to sign a complaint and I wouldn't do it; instead I would return home with him and believe it was going to change. It simply is not as easy as it seems to go and even harder to stay away. Today I can't imagine why I stayed, but I did and how liucky I was time after time that it was not the last time. Linda Begay was not so lucky. To me it doesn't matter if someone generalized or not, because someone else didn't make it out alive. also I think it is important to remember we are always learning every day of our lives and because this has happened maybe those who may or may not be genralizing will take something from this tragedy, at least in that sense it will mean something.

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by holygrailale (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 5:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

freudian_slip:

I have no control over your keyboard. I indicted you with your own words.

Don't want to apologize or stand behind them???

Don't blame you

First holygrassyass, you indict people? I don't get it. No one called me out on anything. I fullt disclose that I am not fond of trailer parks. But hey, I guess you (obviously the law) can still indict someone when they turn themsleves in. And apolgize? You are correct, no I won't apologize for my opinions. I say what I mean. But thanks for soliciting an apology anyways. It helps me know that I offended you with my "balls" comment. It's slang. I wouldn't use it at the office. I'm sorry, is this your office. Oops, no it's not. So I'll use slang. And I've been standing behind my words all day. I haven't back tracked one bit. But, yet again, thanks for the attempt at trying to come up with something other than the trailer park thing.

Wanna keep going? Or are you out of false arguments?

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

Oh never mind. I'm apparently behind on the news now.

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

Do we know for sure she died?

This article does not say. How would anywhere here know? The hospital could not release any info to tell anyone here. No one here would have known where this woman has gone. The article speculates as to what happened.

Enforcer is the only who has said this woman is dead.

Was there an announcement on the T.V. news that this woman died?

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

I also seem to be lacking in the grammar area. Maybe I should grow some.

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

Let me offer a "thought experiment" for you to perform.

Picture yourself in your office or home or in a bar, talking to a woman.

Tell her to "grow some balls".

See what happens.

See if the "I'm just using slang" line works.

Sorry, HGA, but you are being unusually sensitive today. I've used that that phrase many times both to women and men. The men are usually the ones who get more upset about it (since I have naturally implied that they are lacking in that are). The women usually laugh at it since it is funny to hear someone tell you to grow some balls when it is physically impossible to do so.

holygrailale 7 years, 8 months ago

freudian_slip:

I have no control over your keyboard. I indicted you with your own words.

Don't want to apologize or stand behind them???

Don't blame you.

=======================================

And after I demonstrated how you were picking on women, what do you do to prove me wrong???

"Try not to be as stupid as you assume the people are that you converse with here." --- freudian_slip

=======================================

"Does anyone on here know anything about me? Do you assume I am a prosperous egotistical man? Seems so." ----freudian_slip

Well, we know that you think it's okay to tell women to "grow some balls" and to "Try not to be as stupid as you assume the people are that you converse with here".

=======================================

Let me offer a "thought experiment" for you to perform.

Picture yourself in your office or home or in a bar, talking to a woman.

Tell her to "grow some balls".

See what happens.

See if the "I'm just using slang" line works.

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by freudian_slip (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 10:44 a.m. (Suggest removal)

What? Domestic violence at a trailer park? I am shocked!

But, hope she is alright. What a wake up call - a board to the face!

I repost my original post. Don't you feel stupid you made such a big deal about these four short sentences. Thanks for taking the time to turn this into the fact that I don't like the woman, trailers or yourselves. Your arms must be sore from stretching. I do revel in the fact that I wasted so much of your time today. Thanks for playing.

Sincerely, when I posted this the woman was possibly alive. I'm sorry she's not. I hope the guy is sentenced to life imprisoned in a trailer. Sorry to the family. I hope the trial is speedy for you so you can get some closure.

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by 1lawrencemom (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 5:27 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Last comments because I need to go find some women to hate on. I stereotyped an action, not the people. Especially not the woman.

mom, I really got under your skin today and enjoyed that. Try not to be as stupid as you assume the people are that you converse with here. I'll be sure to congratulate your children when they begin stereotyping because they saw their mother do it too. And then I'll be annoyed when they tell my children not to stereotype in the same breath.

Good night almighty hypocrit.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

please no more, and to any family reading, I am sorry about your loss. and the argument that has nothing to do with the article. shameful you all. Stereotyping is bad bad bad.

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

1lawrencemom - nice stretch at trying to make me a women hater. And I owned up to my stereotype about trailer parks from the get go. Again, another nice try.

How do you get from a general trailer park comment to not respecting women? By using slang to tell you to have the nerve to make your own comments? No, it's by 1lawrencemom getting easily offended and overacting and grasping at straws to belittle someone they know nothing about. Oh wait, you know me very well. You know that I don't like trailers and I use slang. I feel very close to you now.

Please, tell everyone what I am really like from your vast knowledge of me.

1lawrencemom 7 years, 8 months ago

and NO Freudian...no one knows anything about you (nor do we want to now)...we are all STEREOTYPING you....how does it feel? You stereotyped the woman in this case AND the man, just because they lived in a trailer park. Please, freudian, take this from one human being to another....NEVER judge a book by its cover. LIVING IN A TRAILER DOES NOT EQUAL STUPID, DRUG ADDICTED, OR CROSS DRESSING! Improve your outlook...take that to heart--if you have one.

1lawrencemom 7 years, 8 months ago

Yes, and thank you holygrailale, I can tell from his sweet tone that he meant for me to grow some balls in the most respectful manner possible. I think he might even have a crush on me, that's how children do each other when they like each other right? Be mean to each other to show that they like each other? haha And to freudian-I can apologize for saying something that you took as stereotyping men--that was not my intent--and unlike you I can own up to my FREUDIAN SLIPS, not just by naming myself that, but actually speaking to them. I have met quite a list of good men in my life that did NOT live up to the "woman beater" stereotype and they truly respected women--well, I can say I can cross one off the "other" list now that I have had the incredible pleasure of this intellectual bantering with YOU.

holy-

Those comments have nothing to do with picking on women. Since when do sarcastic remarks equate to women bashing?

Question 1: Does anyone on here know anything about me? Do you assume I am a prosperous egotistical man? Seems so.

Keep it coming holy...

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by 1lawrencemom (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 5:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yeah, I'm exactly like the guy that killed this woman and abused enforcer because I don't think much of trailer parks. Talk about one huge leap in logic. If you only knew where I am coming from in my life you would shut your pie hole and know that I am most sympathetic to this situation. But hey, go ahead and be a bitch about it.

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

Trailer park stereotypes are valid. It doesn't mean everyone who lives in a trailer is poor and useless. My dad lived in a trailer in a transitional period in his life. I refuse to argue an obvious point.

Enforcer, I'm sorry you experienced what you did in life and I'm glad you had the strength to get out.

For those women that are arguing with me based on the nature of this article and it's sensitivity to you as women, I'm not condoning the behaviour of this guy so I'm not sure why you are all butt sore towards me. If it is simply based on my trailer park comment, get over yourselves.

holygrailale 7 years, 8 months ago

freudian_slip:

"Picking on women? I hope that wasn't pointed at me because that isn't found in any of my posts." ---- freudian_slip

=======================================

"Grow some balls." ----- freudian_slip on August 2, 2006 at 4:15 p.m.

=======================================

I bet you posted that with only the most loving intent.

1lawrencemom 7 years, 8 months ago

We all have to do what we have to do to get by in society, enforcer, and I'm glad you did not let people like freudian and their stereotypes keep you from protecting yourself and making your life better. Good for you. I'm sure the victim in this case was in many ways doing what she knew to do to get by, too. Aside from freudian's attempts to make this thread about himself, it is about a woman who died at the hands of someone she thought "loved" her....and as has been said on other threads..."love" is not supposed to hurt.

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by holygrailale (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 4:53 p.m. (Suggest removal)

freudian_slip:

I think you should just accept that you were caught using a stereotype and when caught, you started namecalling.

Caught? Hmmm...I think I acknowledged the fact in my subsequent posts that I indeed did/do stereotype. But yes, let me sit back and be called the "stereotyper" while those who label me with this title do the same thing. Picking on women? I hope that wasn't pointed at me because that isn't found in any of my posts.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

I think it is fair to say much is assumed about domestic violence that is untrue. I remember talking with a neighbor after a really bad episode, she asked me "Don't you think you can do better than him?" At the time my answer was no, because that is how it feels. We lived in a house, it was a nice house too in a very nice neighborhood with trees and flowers and real grass for a lawn, but you know what when I was able to safely leave him I lived in a trailer because I didn't have alot of money and needed to live cheap in order to begin again. I live in a house now, but I have to say I sure was glad to move into that trailer.

holygrailale 7 years, 8 months ago

freudian_slip:

Picking on women for speaking their minds.......don't know where I've read of that phenomenon recently......

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by 1lawrencemom (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 4:42 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Nice one, mom. Fight a stereotype about trailer parks with a stereotype about men. Ha, I like your sense of humor.

1lawrencemom 7 years, 8 months ago

If I had balls, freudian, I might start to behave like the man who is the subject of the aritcle that started this whole conversation. I don't need to ride coattails, nor do I need to repeat myself or someone else, so I didn't. HOWEVER, I did care to support another person in her position, which is allowed on here. Thanks for your "valued" opinion anyway though. Further:

Posted by freudian_slip (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 4:13 p.m. (Suggest removal) In my life I have come across people that live in trailer parks. In the end, one was convicted of sexually molesting 12 boys, one was cooking meth, one was a freaky old fat lady with 7 or cats that crapped all over everything, and another was a truck driver who dressed in drag and walked the streets when he wasn't driving. NOw tell me that this isn't a cluster of bullsh!t more likely to occur in trailer parks. I haven't met anyone like this who lives in a normal house

Freudian: I, too, have come across people who molest children, are addicted to drugs, and "freaky old fat ladies with 7 cats," and cross dressing truck drivers and guess what? NOT ONE of them lived in a trailer, so I guess you COULD look at it both ways....IF you were an open minded intellectual......oh wait...did I say OPEN MINDED?

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by 1lawrencemom (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 3:39 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Bravo, Confrontation!

mom-I like people who ride coattails to make a point but don't care enough to elaborate. Grow some balls.

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation: Why would you make the comment about stupid people when no one made a comment that would fall under that response? Funny that you posted it right after my post, but yet weren't referring to anyone. You assumed, but that's OK.

Stereotypes are usually based on historical evidence of certain people, things, etc. If things happen in certain clusters more than others, they deserve a general stereotype. It doesn't mean everyone is that way, it means it's more likley to happen with them than others, to whatever degree. You are so brilliant in calling me out on my comment about facts and figures. Obviously that is not quoted from a certified study. It is my generalization based on personal knowledge of people that live in trailer parks and what happens there.

In my life I have come across people that live in trailer parks. In the end, one was convicted of sexually molesting 12 boys, one was cooking meth, one was a freaky old fat lady with 7 or cats that crapped all over everything, and another was a truck driver who dressed in drag and walked the streets when he wasn't driving. NOw tell me that this isn't a cluster of bullsh!t more likely to occur in trailer parks. I haven't met anyone like this who lives in a normal house.

My point, there are poeple like this everywhere, just more apt to find them in a trailer.

And about my life - I've had a hard life but have managed to keep my sanity and prosper. Thanks for your concern, but you are way off base on your assumption. My stereotype on the other hand is spot on.

Thank you.

Confrontation 7 years, 8 months ago

freudian_slip: Where did I claim that you said anything? I just said that someone who thinks this behavior is only happening in trailer parks is a stupid person. I want to see your research and statistics on trailer parks. Don't assume that those in poverty are more likely to use drugs, either. Check out the rich high school kids addicted to both prescribed and illegal drugs. There is definitely a stereotype for those who live in trailer parks, but it's just that: a stereotype. I could assume/generalize/stereotype you from your posts. You're a person with a decent income who never struggled a day in your life. You hold a very negative view of people who can't afford an overpriced West Lawrence home. You think waaay too highly of yourself and no one enjoys being around you. Do you like that assumption?

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

It happens everywhere, there are no social or economic boundries related to domestic violence. It isn't about where is happens it is about what happens.

Confrontation says:

"It takes a pretty dumb person to assume that this type of behavior is limited to the trailer parks."

hockmano says:

"Domestic violence does not only occur in the trailer court. It often occurs in upper income familes also.Money doesn't change your values. If a man is going to beat his wife, he doesn't care if they live in a trailer or a mansion!"

Really!?!?!?! I read back through the posts and no one said anything about domestic violence ONLY happening in trailer parks. Yes, I made a generalization. But I didn't say ONLY.

If you take the entire population of trailer homes in the country and calculate the percentage that have incidents of domestic violence, alcohol abuse, drug use and drug manufacturers and sales, you would get a much greater percentage of occurrence than if you took all single family homes and did the same. So, I generalize.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

they came pretty darn close with Christopher Bread.

parsimoniousjayhawker 7 years, 8 months ago

Enforcer - Anyone with any type of common sense knows the police do not want anyone talking about what they witnessed because it could jeopardize the investigation by leaking information.. Only the witnesses and the killer know what exactly happened out there. This is not CSI.. This is real life. The police know exactly what they are doing. They have never had an unsolved homicide yet..

hockmano 7 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation 7 years, 8 months ago

It takes a pretty dumb person to assume that this type of behavior is limited to the trailer parks. I guarantee that there are a lot of rich men beating their wives in West Lawrence. Of course, those men can afford expensive lawyers to keep everything quiet. The real problem comes from boys being taught that women are their slaves (yet another benefit of religion).

freudian_slip 7 years, 8 months ago

What? Domestic violence at a trailer park? I am shocked!

But, hope she is alright. What a wake up call - a board to the face!

trinity 7 years, 8 months ago

oh good lord, enforcer...it's people such as yourself that disseminate possibly erroneous information, or out&out LIES, or rumor, that are responsible for officers&investigators having to work way too hard to solve cases. people running off their mouths cause way more damage than you think.

"oh my brother in law's sister's boyfriend said blah blah blah, and he KNOWS it's true" sort of crappola. you really ought to think before posting.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

that is true too, it is due to excessive force by crooked cops

billyflay 7 years, 8 months ago

Squasnatch34

does smoking pot make one an idiot, or is one an idiot to smoke pot?

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

who care about that point talk do not talk happens no matter what the cops and DA wants. The witnesses are not talking so much more to come on this crime and it will not be good that is for sure. I think maybe they are still tring to gather evidence and maybe protect the woman. Hope she is ok in the physical sense

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

community members are not responsible for keeping quiet becase the police say so.

Sasquatch34 7 years, 8 months ago

Enforcer...you are an idiot. You must smoke a lot of pot, because your paranoia level is off the charts.

dozer 7 years, 8 months ago

Enforcer - what should the press bust wide open? This isn't a conspiracy, it is an investigation. You are correct in stating the DA and law enforcement can't prevent witnesses from speaking, but it is certainly reasonable that they would ask witnesses not to speak with the press when you have an ongoing investigation.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

nothing in the obits. so that can be seen as positive. Not that there is a positive in something like this.

law 7 years, 8 months ago

So she was cheating on him. Note they said aquaintance, not a friend. Hope she is ok though.

Trailer Park Pride 2006.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 8 months ago

It seems that the investigators have a need to keep some secrets, for now. Something bad has happened, for sure.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

"Late Tuesday, police detectives and uniformed officers in unmarked cars hovered around two separate trailer homes in Gaslight Village and instructed several people in those homes not to discuss the incident with reporters or others."

The cops the D.A. nor the Courts cannot tell anyone not to speek to the press about a crime they witnessed. The press should be coming out in droves to bust this wide open just because the cops have overstepped their boundries.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 8 months ago

Slow news day? Printing rumors now?Geez.