Archive for Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Investigation prompts speculation of homicide

Victim may have died after weekend attack

August 2, 2006

Dist. Atty. Charles Branson was mum Tuesday on the condition of a 37-year-old woman who was the victim of weekend domestic violence at Gaslight Village mobile-home park, 1900 W. 31st St.

Late Tuesday, police detectives and uniformed officers in unmarked cars hovered around two separate trailer homes in Gaslight Village and instructed several people in those homes not to discuss the incident with reporters or others.

That and other activity prompted speculation throughout the day from courthouse sources that the woman had died from her injuries.

But Branson said he would neither confirm or deny that speculation.

The woman suffered internal injuries and possible broken bones and was admitted to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. LMH officials said Tuesday she no longer was a patient there. But their records did not say where she had gone. That suggested she had either been transported to another hospital or had perhaps died.

The woman's boyfriend, Christopher Belone, 35, already has been charged with aggravated battery "whereby great bodily harm or death could result." Branson said he likely would make an additional statement about the case this morning.

"If we receive additional information on the case, we would review the matter for any additional or amended charges," he said.

According to a police report, the woman went to an acquaintance's residence on Saturday at Gaslight Village, drank alcohol and went to sleep in one of the bedrooms. The report said she was awakened about 2:30 p.m. by Belone dragging her out of bed and beating her. At one point, he picked up a piece of wood and struck her in the face, the report said.

Lawrence Police said Tuesday they did not have any additional information to release about the case.

Staff writer Ron Knox contributed to this report.

Comments

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

Trailer park stereotypes are valid. It doesn't mean everyone who lives in a trailer is poor and useless. My dad lived in a trailer in a transitional period in his life. I refuse to argue an obvious point.

Enforcer, I'm sorry you experienced what you did in life and I'm glad you had the strength to get out.

For those women that are arguing with me based on the nature of this article and it's sensitivity to you as women, I'm not condoning the behaviour of this guy so I'm not sure why you are all butt sore towards me. If it is simply based on my trailer park comment, get over yourselves.

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

Posted by 1lawrencemom (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 5:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yeah, I'm exactly like the guy that killed this woman and abused enforcer because I don't think much of trailer parks. Talk about one huge leap in logic. If you only knew where I am coming from in my life you would shut your pie hole and know that I am most sympathetic to this situation. But hey, go ahead and be a bitch about it.

holy-

Those comments have nothing to do with picking on women. Since when do sarcastic remarks equate to women bashing?

Question 1: Does anyone on here know anything about me? Do you assume I am a prosperous egotistical man? Seems so.

Keep it coming holy...

1lawrencemom 8 years, 3 months ago

and NO Freudian...no one knows anything about you (nor do we want to now)...we are all STEREOTYPING you....how does it feel? You stereotyped the woman in this case AND the man, just because they lived in a trailer park. Please, freudian, take this from one human being to another....NEVER judge a book by its cover. LIVING IN A TRAILER DOES NOT EQUAL STUPID, DRUG ADDICTED, OR CROSS DRESSING! Improve your outlook...take that to heart--if you have one.

parsimoniousjayhawker 8 years, 3 months ago

Enforcer - Anyone with any type of common sense knows the police do not want anyone talking about what they witnessed because it could jeopardize the investigation by leaking information.. Only the witnesses and the killer know what exactly happened out there. This is not CSI.. This is real life. The police know exactly what they are doing. They have never had an unsolved homicide yet..

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 3 months ago

It seems that the investigators have a need to keep some secrets, for now. Something bad has happened, for sure.

law 8 years, 3 months ago

So she was cheating on him. Note they said aquaintance, not a friend. Hope she is ok though.

Trailer Park Pride 2006.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 3 months ago

nothing in the obits. so that can be seen as positive. Not that there is a positive in something like this.

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

Posted by holygrailale (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 7:12 p.m. (Suggest removal)

freudian_slip:

No, I just find it funny that a person can both express a stereotype belief and embody it all in the same thread.

Is ironic the word I am looking for, or hypocritical? Not sure, I'll use both.

I'm done because I do not want to step on the toes of those who are having a serious discussion now. Bye, bye flailing ale.

dozer 8 years, 3 months ago

Enforcer - what should the press bust wide open? This isn't a conspiracy, it is an investigation. You are correct in stating the DA and law enforcement can't prevent witnesses from speaking, but it is certainly reasonable that they would ask witnesses not to speak with the press when you have an ongoing investigation.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 3 months ago

who care about that point talk do not talk happens no matter what the cops and DA wants. The witnesses are not talking so much more to come on this crime and it will not be good that is for sure. I think maybe they are still tring to gather evidence and maybe protect the woman. Hope she is ok in the physical sense

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

Posted by 1lawrencemom (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 3:39 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Bravo, Confrontation!

mom-I like people who ride coattails to make a point but don't care enough to elaborate. Grow some balls.

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

1lawrencemom - nice stretch at trying to make me a women hater. And I owned up to my stereotype about trailer parks from the get go. Again, another nice try.

How do you get from a general trailer park comment to not respecting women? By using slang to tell you to have the nerve to make your own comments? No, it's by 1lawrencemom getting easily offended and overacting and grasping at straws to belittle someone they know nothing about. Oh wait, you know me very well. You know that I don't like trailers and I use slang. I feel very close to you now.

Please, tell everyone what I am really like from your vast knowledge of me.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 3 months ago

please no more, and to any family reading, I am sorry about your loss. and the argument that has nothing to do with the article. shameful you all. Stereotyping is bad bad bad.

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

oh good lord, enforcer...it's people such as yourself that disseminate possibly erroneous information, or out&out LIES, or rumor, that are responsible for officers&investigators having to work way too hard to solve cases. people running off their mouths cause way more damage than you think.

"oh my brother in law's sister's boyfriend said blah blah blah, and he KNOWS it's true" sort of crappola. you really ought to think before posting.

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

Posted by 1lawrencemom (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 4:42 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Nice one, mom. Fight a stereotype about trailer parks with a stereotype about men. Ha, I like your sense of humor.

swbsow:

The Kansas City news stations are reporting that she died. I don't know how to post a link or I would provide one for you. It's under the Latest Stories section of the LJWorld home page too. Crime blotter.

hockmano 8 years, 3 months ago

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

What? Domestic violence at a trailer park? I am shocked!

But, hope she is alright. What a wake up call - a board to the face!

Confrontation 8 years, 3 months ago

It takes a pretty dumb person to assume that this type of behavior is limited to the trailer parks. I guarantee that there are a lot of rich men beating their wives in West Lawrence. Of course, those men can afford expensive lawyers to keep everything quiet. The real problem comes from boys being taught that women are their slaves (yet another benefit of religion).

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

Posted by holygrailale (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 4:53 p.m. (Suggest removal)

freudian_slip:

I think you should just accept that you were caught using a stereotype and when caught, you started namecalling.

Caught? Hmmm...I think I acknowledged the fact in my subsequent posts that I indeed did/do stereotype. But yes, let me sit back and be called the "stereotyper" while those who label me with this title do the same thing. Picking on women? I hope that wasn't pointed at me because that isn't found in any of my posts.

1lawrencemom 8 years, 3 months ago

We all have to do what we have to do to get by in society, enforcer, and I'm glad you did not let people like freudian and their stereotypes keep you from protecting yourself and making your life better. Good for you. I'm sure the victim in this case was in many ways doing what she knew to do to get by, too. Aside from freudian's attempts to make this thread about himself, it is about a woman who died at the hands of someone she thought "loved" her....and as has been said on other threads..."love" is not supposed to hurt.

Confrontation says:

"It takes a pretty dumb person to assume that this type of behavior is limited to the trailer parks."

hockmano says:

"Domestic violence does not only occur in the trailer court. It often occurs in upper income familes also.Money doesn't change your values. If a man is going to beat his wife, he doesn't care if they live in a trailer or a mansion!"

Really!?!?!?! I read back through the posts and no one said anything about domestic violence ONLY happening in trailer parks. Yes, I made a generalization. But I didn't say ONLY.

If you take the entire population of trailer homes in the country and calculate the percentage that have incidents of domestic violence, alcohol abuse, drug use and drug manufacturers and sales, you would get a much greater percentage of occurrence than if you took all single family homes and did the same. So, I generalize.

Confrontation 8 years, 3 months ago

freudian_slip: Where did I claim that you said anything? I just said that someone who thinks this behavior is only happening in trailer parks is a stupid person. I want to see your research and statistics on trailer parks. Don't assume that those in poverty are more likely to use drugs, either. Check out the rich high school kids addicted to both prescribed and illegal drugs. There is definitely a stereotype for those who live in trailer parks, but it's just that: a stereotype. I could assume/generalize/stereotype you from your posts. You're a person with a decent income who never struggled a day in your life. You hold a very negative view of people who can't afford an overpriced West Lawrence home. You think waaay too highly of yourself and no one enjoys being around you. Do you like that assumption?

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

Confrontation: Why would you make the comment about stupid people when no one made a comment that would fall under that response? Funny that you posted it right after my post, but yet weren't referring to anyone. You assumed, but that's OK.

Stereotypes are usually based on historical evidence of certain people, things, etc. If things happen in certain clusters more than others, they deserve a general stereotype. It doesn't mean everyone is that way, it means it's more likley to happen with them than others, to whatever degree. You are so brilliant in calling me out on my comment about facts and figures. Obviously that is not quoted from a certified study. It is my generalization based on personal knowledge of people that live in trailer parks and what happens there.

In my life I have come across people that live in trailer parks. In the end, one was convicted of sexually molesting 12 boys, one was cooking meth, one was a freaky old fat lady with 7 or cats that crapped all over everything, and another was a truck driver who dressed in drag and walked the streets when he wasn't driving. NOw tell me that this isn't a cluster of bullsh!t more likely to occur in trailer parks. I haven't met anyone like this who lives in a normal house.

My point, there are poeple like this everywhere, just more apt to find them in a trailer.

And about my life - I've had a hard life but have managed to keep my sanity and prosper. Thanks for your concern, but you are way off base on your assumption. My stereotype on the other hand is spot on.

Thank you.

1lawrencemom 8 years, 3 months ago

If I had balls, freudian, I might start to behave like the man who is the subject of the aritcle that started this whole conversation. I don't need to ride coattails, nor do I need to repeat myself or someone else, so I didn't. HOWEVER, I did care to support another person in her position, which is allowed on here. Thanks for your "valued" opinion anyway though. Further:

Posted by freudian_slip (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 4:13 p.m. (Suggest removal) In my life I have come across people that live in trailer parks. In the end, one was convicted of sexually molesting 12 boys, one was cooking meth, one was a freaky old fat lady with 7 or cats that crapped all over everything, and another was a truck driver who dressed in drag and walked the streets when he wasn't driving. NOw tell me that this isn't a cluster of bullsh!t more likely to occur in trailer parks. I haven't met anyone like this who lives in a normal house

Freudian: I, too, have come across people who molest children, are addicted to drugs, and "freaky old fat ladies with 7 cats," and cross dressing truck drivers and guess what? NOT ONE of them lived in a trailer, so I guess you COULD look at it both ways....IF you were an open minded intellectual......oh wait...did I say OPEN MINDED?

1lawrencemom 8 years, 3 months ago

Yes, and thank you holygrailale, I can tell from his sweet tone that he meant for me to grow some balls in the most respectful manner possible. I think he might even have a crush on me, that's how children do each other when they like each other right? Be mean to each other to show that they like each other? haha And to freudian-I can apologize for saying something that you took as stereotyping men--that was not my intent--and unlike you I can own up to my FREUDIAN SLIPS, not just by naming myself that, but actually speaking to them. I have met quite a list of good men in my life that did NOT live up to the "woman beater" stereotype and they truly respected women--well, I can say I can cross one off the "other" list now that I have had the incredible pleasure of this intellectual bantering with YOU.

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

Posted by 1lawrencemom (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 5:27 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Last comments because I need to go find some women to hate on. I stereotyped an action, not the people. Especially not the woman.

mom, I really got under your skin today and enjoyed that. Try not to be as stupid as you assume the people are that you converse with here. I'll be sure to congratulate your children when they begin stereotyping because they saw their mother do it too. And then I'll be annoyed when they tell my children not to stereotype in the same breath.

Good night almighty hypocrit.

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

Posted by freudian_slip (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 10:44 a.m. (Suggest removal)

What? Domestic violence at a trailer park? I am shocked!

But, hope she is alright. What a wake up call - a board to the face!

I repost my original post. Don't you feel stupid you made such a big deal about these four short sentences. Thanks for taking the time to turn this into the fact that I don't like the woman, trailers or yourselves. Your arms must be sore from stretching. I do revel in the fact that I wasted so much of your time today. Thanks for playing.

Sincerely, when I posted this the woman was possibly alive. I'm sorry she's not. I hope the guy is sentenced to life imprisoned in a trailer. Sorry to the family. I hope the trial is speedy for you so you can get some closure.

freudian_slip 8 years, 3 months ago

Posted by holygrailale (anonymous) on August 2, 2006 at 5:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

freudian_slip:

I have no control over your keyboard. I indicted you with your own words.

Don't want to apologize or stand behind them???

Don't blame you

First holygrassyass, you indict people? I don't get it. No one called me out on anything. I fullt disclose that I am not fond of trailer parks. But hey, I guess you (obviously the law) can still indict someone when they turn themsleves in. And apolgize? You are correct, no I won't apologize for my opinions. I say what I mean. But thanks for soliciting an apology anyways. It helps me know that I offended you with my "balls" comment. It's slang. I wouldn't use it at the office. I'm sorry, is this your office. Oops, no it's not. So I'll use slang. And I've been standing behind my words all day. I haven't back tracked one bit. But, yet again, thanks for the attempt at trying to come up with something other than the trailer park thing.

Wanna keep going? Or are you out of false arguments?