Archive for Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Woman injured in Baldwin Junction collision

Air ambulance summoned to help

August 1, 2006

Emergency crews inspect a car that was involved in a two-car accident at Baldwin Junction, the intersection of US 56 and US 59 west of Baldwin.

— A woman was evacuated by air ambulance after a collision at Baldwin Junction shortly after noon. Information about the cause of the accident or those involved was not immediately available. Witnesses said it appeared the woman's vehicle had pulled in front of a semi truck and that her injuries were grave. The intersection of U.S. Highways 59 and 56 have been the scene of several serious or even deadly accidents the past several months. State highway officials have said they intended to changes signs at the intersection to improve visibility and traffic awareness. But those changes have not yet been made.

Comments

massager 8 years ago

You know sometimes we don't always remember to take that second look back to the left or right b4 pulling out into the intersections someone might have had a blind spot to where they don't see it the first time God bless the families of both drivers , It is always hard on Semi,Dump truck, concrete truck, any big vechile driver to wreck into another vehicle and someone get hurt or killed. They go through severe trauma also. You have to Drive defensively. Don't lay blame on either you werent there and neither was I.

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

This is a dangerous intersection, and KDOT has known that for a long, long time. Why are they dragging their feet about doing something about it?

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years ago

had my scare when I saw the pic. looked like my moms but it was not thank goodness. I tell you nothing makes you panic more than that thought.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years ago

oh my hope all goes well and that theis woman does well.

spammer89 8 years ago

I live in Baldwin and that intersection is terrible it has taken far to many people from this earth. I say put in a 4 way stop at least.

Rick Aldrich 8 years ago

oh gonna change signs. big deal. put in a overpass, it's a major crossing. than the deaths will stop. rocket science 1 0 1. at least a wreck or death once a month.

Linda Endicott 8 years ago

WHY haven't they made the changes yet? I thought they discussed all about making it a four-way stop and putting in rumble strips and everything.

What is the state waiting for? What the hell is taking so long? How many more people have to be hurt or killed before they do something?

Jim Fisher 8 years ago

Looks like a Buick Century. 4-way stop, please.

Brent Cagle 8 years ago

I wish this woman all the best as she recovers from her injuries, and if it will keep things like this from happening then I am all for signs, lights, whatever needs to be done, but I just have to ask: How does one not see a semi barreling towards them at 55 mph? Unless the semi was signaling to make a turn and kept going straight instead, it confounds me whenever I hear about people pulling out in front of something that big, moving that fast.

matahari 8 years ago

I thought they were to change that, I entered that section yesterday, glad it was not me....how hard is it to put up another stop sign or two???

K_dub 8 years ago

I know the intersection well. I worry that people on 59 Hwy won't be accustomed to stopping [and won't]. And then the 56 Hwy users will have a false sense of safety and get smashed into. The whole thing is very troublesome. Will they install very obnoxious little bumps and lights and stuff so people will remember to stop? I still think it's going to be a danger.

Sigmund 8 years ago

How many more before KS puts in a four-way stop, rumble strips, flashing lights?

spammer89 8 years ago

Maybe they should put in a round-a-bout now that would solve all the issues sorry had to. When it kills or injuers some one higher on the food chain so to speak they will change it or when they get sued like no other.

linus 8 years ago

I cannot say enough about this intersection and the lack of thought KDOT gave when INCREASING the speed limit a few years back! People that drive this route daily KNOW to watch for those that don't. Unfortunately, there are also some "locals" that seem to believe that they own this road. Makes the rest of us sick! No matter what they do at this intersection...there will be those that do as they darn-well please. SO...drive VERY defensively when you pass this way!!

wysiwyg69 8 years ago

signs, overpasses, roundabouts, come on, the lady pulled out in front of another vehicle. It is not going to make any difference no matter what signage or rerouting of the road is done as long as poeple do not pay attention and use some common sense when driving.I feel bad for the lady and for the other driver ,who by wittnesses, say she pulled out in front of the semi. Come on people pay attention!

wysiwyg69 8 years ago

sorry I did not know kdot put blinders on the lady

wysiwyg69 8 years ago

kdot is not responsible for the actions of people not paying attention while behind the wheel. I drive 30,000 miles a year and I am suprised there is not more "kdot" caused accidents from peolpe brushung their hair, reading a paper ,eating breakfast, talking on cell phones while crossing the center line several times until someone gently wakes them up to the reallity they are driving 75 mph

wysiwyg69 8 years ago

I know only from what ljw reported. No I don't want a medal for drivin 30k a year , all I want is a safe road to drive on and that is going to require a little common sense,. I do , as I said previously feel bad for everyone involved and am not blaming anyone. But saying kdot is responsible for the accidents at this location is an iodiotic statement.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years ago

can we at least wait for facts before we attack this woman? or at best, and I know that is hard for some, post something of sympathy first. gezz.

adky 8 years ago

Seriously, a roundabout there would stop all these accidents. You can't just drive through a roundabout at 75mph.

BaldwinResident 8 years ago

As a eye witness, the 84 year old women came to a complete stop on the east side going to the west. The trucker was heading north. The women was seen stopped and then started pulling out into the intersection and rammed into the front corner of the passengar side of the ag truck, which was fully loaded of rock. There was only a split second of response time, the wreck was quick. The eldery lady must of had something not clicking right in her head. She pulled out in front of him. Period.

jayhawks71 8 years ago

government.... moving at the pace of.... well... government.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years ago

kansasdaughter not literal but as you can see some people are just mean right off.

ruralbaldwin 8 years ago

My prayers are with the families of the people involved in today's wreck at Baldwin JCT. That being said....the wrecks that have occurred at that intersection all have the same common thread...driver error. There is nothing wrong with the intersection itself. My husband and I go through this intersection every working day. There are no "blind spots" and it is clearly marked that US 59 DOES NOT STOP(well, at least for right now). The danger lies with the drivers on the road. People passing on the right on 59 when someone is turning left...THAT is a problem. People not paying attention and pulling out into oncoming traffic...that is a problem. But, the intersection isn't the problem. And putting in a 4-way stop isn't going to be the answer....I see it causing more DEADLY problems...from drivers on 59 not stopping(unless they put in the rumble strips, but I don't know how effective that will be) and rear-ending someone stopped at the 59 stopsign. Bottom-line, the problems will never be solved until people start driving carefully.

baldwinCITY 8 years ago

People have been dying at "The Jct." for my 52 years of living there. I called KDOT several times after the initial LJ-W article. My ideas are not in their interests so I finally stopped calling after being told that "it was no longer a priority". Well, LIFE is a priority to me. I could almost put up with the rumble strips outside of my bedroom window...I could almost imagine that someone won't pop over the hill from the south heading north while those $#%^^& rock trucks are stopped at the stop sign and smash themselves...It's not going to change until people drive the speed limit, PAY ATTENTION and then look again. This woman was a friend and maybe "something not clicking right in her head" will be of comfort to her grieving family.

compmd 8 years ago

I wonder what the age statistics are for victims of accidents at "the junction." last time it was a couple young girls, right? maybe that should be looked at. I would be very curious to see if there is a correlation between inexperienced drivers and elderly drivers. also, any state that doesn't give drivers over 80 annual driving tests is endangering the public. hearing loss, degraded visual acuity, and delayed response times all add up to create a dangerous driver.

strateup 8 years ago

Do you non-sympathisers not remember the article about the signs causing a blind spot just to the South of this intersection. Unless you travel this road often and use this intersection then you are essentially talking out of your a@@. All of you that are so quickly to blame this woman should that realize by the number of accidents at this intersection that there is obviously a problem. My sympathies go out to this woman and her family.

BaldwinResident 8 years ago

As a family member of the truck driver and a neighbor to the lady in the wreck, we are in shock. The truck driver did everything he thought he could have to avoid her vehicle without risking the oncoming traffic in the other lane. He is devastated for this lady and her family. And we will all be praying for them.

kujeeper 8 years ago

This is why old people should have driving tests yearly to see if they are still able to be safe on the road. For every accident they are in, they probably cause 10 but never know it because they can hear or see anything. I think they are the second worst drivers after the under 23 age group

BaldwinResident 8 years ago

Wait tell you read the paper before any picks sides. It doesn't matter who was at fault. An acciendent is never intentional. Sorry if i caused upset feeling toward my comment of "something wasn't clicking right in her head." I just mean her judgmental must of not been there. I was at the baldwin junction myself when the wreck accured. I to give sympathy to her family, who were providers of my 4-H Lambs as a kid. I also feel for the young driver who wasn't planning to end a womens life today, which i can't say it was fatal yet until declared. Living with that wouldn't be a easy thing. Im suprised that a fully loaded rock truck didn't flip and cause a bigger wreck. I was impressed that the truck driver was able to aviod on coming traffic and fully stop the truck less of 100 m range with out losing control when truckers are to usually prepare to stop 1/2 mile away. The wreck was lucky no worse when other to could of been hurt, including myself.

badger 8 years ago

That poor woman and her family.

Good thoughts and hopes to all of them. Also, my empathy for the driver of the truck, who now has a painful memory that will live with him forever.

In answer to kujayhawk93, there are a lot of innocent mistakes that can lead to an accident like this, and second-guessing someone's driving decisions after the fact may not be all that helpful. I don't know much about the layout of the accident site or either driver's visibility.

There's an accident at this intersection every month, it seems like, with someone fatally or critically injured. There's always someone who has to point out, "Why did the driver do what the driver did?" and I guess my response to that is that asking that question eventually loses a lot of its meaning when an area or intersection is that accident-prone. Obviously, if there are that many more accidents in one place than in another, either more drivers make mistakes there more often, or there's something about the place that makes a mistake more costly.

It doesn't seem we can really stop drivers from making mistakes. Given that, if there are changes to the intersection that can be made so that those mistakes and moments are less likely to be fatal or cause serious injury, then I think those changes should be made, and made quickly.

It doesn't make much sense to keep things the way they are, because clearly drivers aren't changing the way they drive at that intersection in response to the accidents. It's kind of stubborn to oppose changes simply because people ought to drive more carefully.

badger 8 years ago

I guess I didn't make my point very well.

Accidents happen. It's all well and good to bemoan how badly people drive and how folks should stop or look or this or that. But accidents at this intersection seem to be more likely to result in serious injury or death. That's the problem - not that people drive badly there, but that people who drive badly there are so much more likely to be fatally or seriously injured than if they make the same mistake elsewhere.

No one can take direct action to make other drivers pay attention. I was almost slammed into a concrete barrier Friday at better than fifty miles an hour because some woman was screaming at her kids. At that point, neither I nor the State of Texas could do a darn thing to make her notice my car was already in the lane it was occupying with nowhere else it could go. There are just bad drivers out there. There's not much the State of Kansas can do about that, though funding more troopers to enforce speed control and obedience of that stop sign might have prevented one or two of the accidents on that stretch of road in the last year. Not all of them, and possibly not today's.

What the State of Kansas does actually have the power and ability to do is make changes to the intersection or the stretch of road so that accidents there are less likely to result in fatal or serious injury. They can put in rumble strips, or stop signs, or do visibility studies, or decrease the speed limit.

If the accidents that have occurred have only caused death or serious injury because the drivers did something wrong, then why is the occurrence of fatal injury at that particular location higher than elsewhere? The accident wasn't KDOT's fault. The fact that an accident there seems to be more likely to result in a fatality isn't KDOT's fault.

But it doesn't have to be KDOT's fault for people to suggest that there are things KDOT can do to mitigate the severity of accidents at that particular spot. Screw blame, look at options.

You can either be wringing your hands again a year from now at the fact that so many people are seriously or fatally injured at that intersection, or you can ask KDOT to do something to help decrease the severity of those accidents.