Archive for Saturday, April 29, 2006

Apartment fire injures one

April 29, 2006

Lawrence Fire and Medical Crews work together to secure the scene of a fire on Friday at 2136 26th Street in Lawrence.

One person suffered a burn injury after an apartment fire that caused $60,000 in damage Friday evening.

After an original report of a medical call at 6:19 p.m. at 2136 W. 26th St., SouthPointe Apartments, Lawrence police officers noticed smoke coming from inside the building.

Officers then knocked on doors of several residents and ordered evacuation of the three-story building that stretches for about a block, said Mark Bradford, chief of Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical.

An ambulance crew transported a male, who was inside the unit, to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment, Bradford said. The victim was later flown by helicopter to the University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.

A medical crew also treated three other people for smoke inhalation, Bradford said.

Firefighters used water to extinguish the blaze in the middle floor of the apartment. After no indication that the fire had spread, police and firefighters allowed residents in unaffected apartments to return to their homes.

A vacant unit below the burned apartment sustained some water damage, Bradford said.

Investigators were trying to determine a possible cause.

Comments

NotASquishHead 11 years, 7 months ago

Once again an officer saves a life and the LJWorld doesn't mention it (but the Kansan does). If you're going to report the bad, please report the good in this world.

I just hope the officer wasn't injured as well. It took some courage for the officer to enter a smoke and fire filled apartment to save someone who apparently doesn't value life. I hope this person is able to survive and find a reason to value life from here on out.

lilytree 11 years, 7 months ago

This man did not try to kill himself, and shame on you all for posting such comments without having your facts straight. He is very happy with a bright future ahead of him. None of you know the story, because none of you are close to him. I am, and shame on you all for posting such comments that has made this family member VERY upset. When he does pull through, you all owe him an apology. He did not start this fire. that I can assure you. He is a beautiful soul that loves more than you heartless people could ever imagine.

brunette_beauty07 11 years, 7 months ago

you stupid people! i wonder how many of you infact even know the man who lived in that apartment? his name is Derek. derek is a nice guy and is always polite and kind whenever i run into him at the mailbox. he's helped me out when i've needed a hand before. and is the proud owner of a pug named Bumpus. he is not the type of person to have motive to kill himself. now i may not be around him 24/7, but until law enforcement release more details...don't go running your mouths and creating gossip. you're wasting you're time. this is so rude and in a way cruel to go automatically assuming "he wanted to kill himself and others in the apartment by starting a fire". get a life and get to know the people around you before making crap up.

Confrontation 11 years, 7 months ago

We all know that nice guys never want to kill themselves. Duh!

Confrontation 11 years, 7 months ago

I'm just glad no one else was hurt, regardless of the cause.

bthom37 11 years, 7 months ago

All I know is what I heard from the police. Maybe you should ask them, I don't know, why they were there?

Might it have been because someone couldn't get a hold of him, and given his history, and recent breakup, were worried that he might have hurt himself?

bthom37 11 years, 7 months ago

Because I'm that cool. I probably shouldn't say why I heard it.

So you can just use 'I'm that cool' for now.

brunette_beauty07 11 years, 7 months ago

According to neigbors reports no one had seen Bumpus for a few weeks leading up to the fire. no one is sure if he still had Bumpus or if Derek decided to give him to his parents before this unfortunate event. However, i am giving credit to the other people on this site that know Derek as well. All anyone wants is for him to recover. Confrontation, you do have a point. No one ever wants the nice guys to kill themselves, but while your point is valid, is doesnt aplly to any individual you think may have "suicidal thoughts." For right now i think everyone should just pray for this young man and his family, as well as for the safety of his dog Bumpus.

Michael Birch 11 years, 7 months ago

I remember living at Southpointe. It was the worst place that I've ever lived. It was even worse than the places I lived at in Topeka. The management company that oversees Southpointe is notorious for ripping off its tenants on their deposits. It wouldn't suprise me at all to find out that it was an arson fire. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Southpointe! It is blacklisted all the way!

brunette_beauty07 11 years, 7 months ago

DownHomeDude...i completely agree with you. i could've saved 200 dollars on my deposit. and they also dont bother to regularily maintenance their ventilation or AC running through the buildings and the plumbing is shoddy.

bthom37 11 years, 7 months ago