Archive for Saturday, April 22, 2006

City rejoins list of most livable sites

Web site factors crime, housing data into annual rankings

April 22, 2006

Lawrence is back among the top 100 communities in the country to live, according to a Web site that matches people with places that fit their needs.

Relocate-America.com in late March released its "Top 100 Places to Live" for 2006. Lawrence didn't make the list a year ago, after first cracking the top 100 in 2004.

Communities are nominated by visitors to the site, then have several factors - quality of K-12 education, crime rates, employment data, median housing costs and real estate appreciation - reviewed by Relocate-America.com staffers.

The site assigns specific rankings only to the top 10 communities. This year Naperville, Ill., topped the list, while Boulder, Colo., ranked No. 3 and Columbia, Mo., came in at No. 8.

More than 5,000 communities were considered. Also making the list from Kansas were Overland Park and Wichita.

News of Lawrence's ranking didn't surprise Rob Hulse, president of the Lawrence Board of Realtors.

"This just further validates what we already know: We do have a great community," said Hulse, of Stephens Real Estate. "It's schools. It's education. It's exposure to culture. It's the great resource that is KU. It's an educated work force. It's good, Midwestern values in a progressive community."

Comments

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 11 months ago

Hey Marion you kinda sound like a women who hates all men because she had a bad experience with one or two guys... Not all REALTORS are bad people in fact most of the REALTORS I know are good people that care about their clients. I'm guessing you've never been a REALTOR so you probley don't know there is much much more to it than passing a test. So why don't you stop passing judgement on a profession you don't know much about.

Thanks, The Voice

LivedinLawrence4Life 8 years, 11 months ago

Marion, do you own your own home? Have you tried to sell a property yourself? There are a lot of excellent REALTORS who do more than earn their commission. The marketing tools offered by REALTORS are much more than what I can do on my own when I sell properties. REALTORS invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in marketing each year. By listing my home with one of them, I tap into that marketing instead of paying for my own expensive newspaper ads and wasting my own time waiting for unqualified buyers to show up. There are over 400 REALTORS in this area because they are in demand. Next time you buy or sell a property, interview three of them and pick the best one. You will be pleasantly surprised.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 11 months ago

The only problem I have with realtors is the price-fixing mechanism they've had in place for like ever. There are now cracks in that collusion over the fees they charge. Let's just hope that trend continues.

LongGoneFromLarryville 8 years, 11 months ago

Wow! Somewhere down there behind such livable places as NYC, Aiken SC, Fargo ND, Columbia MO and Ponca City OK.

From the source:

WHY LAWRENCE? Friendly people, an easy family life style, excellent public schools, a major university right on our doorstep, many cultural events, less than an hour's drive from a major metropolitan area. WHY NOT LAWRENCE?

There you have it... "less than an hour's drive from Overland Park, yet another of America's greatest cities."

This is a silly bit of puffery, really; exactly why I refer to "stories" I read in the paper, not "articles". Let's rehash somebody's commercial website for them. Doesn't even have to be a good one!

Rhoen 8 years, 11 months ago

Hey, Marion ... "pimpin'" is an art form in 21st century American. Why don't you get with the program. Everyone needs a pimp.

jafs 8 years, 11 months ago

There are many people who make a living doing things which others prefer not to, either from laziness, lack of time, distaste for the job, etc. It seems to me that realtors fit into this category, much as housecleaners, auto mechanics, day care providers, etc. Whether or not they are providing enough of a service to justify their income is, of course, a matter of opinion.