Archive for Friday, April 21, 2006

Biosolids spill blocks traffic on east Lawrence street

April 21, 2006, 9:45 a.m. Updated April 21, 2006, 11:21 a.m.

Clean-up took several hours this morning on a foul-smelling spill of "biosolids," or treated sewage, that blocked off traffic on an eastern Lawrence street.

"It stinks," said Israel Bermudez, who lives near the spill, which stretched a few blocks on the southbound lane of Haskell Avenue from about N 1550 Road to the 1300 block.

"I was wondering if I could get pain and suffering (damages) from this," Bermudez said, joking about filing a lawsuit.

City crews were called in to removed the waste from the street about 8:30 a.m. and had the street reopened shortly before 11 a.m.

The spill started as a truck carrying a by-product from the city's sewage treatment plant was heading south to take the biosolids to a field near Pleasant Grove to be used as fertilizer.

Police flashed their lights at Sue Deese, Oskaloosa, who was driving the truck about 8:30 a.m. to let her know about the spill.

"We're gonna grow corn, right in the middle of Haskell Avenue, y'all. It's plenty fertilized," Deese said.

13th and Haskell

Carl Janssen, project manager for NutriJect Systems Inc., which owns the truck, said he loaded the truck at the city plant and checked the latches, but they malfunctioned on the roadway, he said.

Assistant City Manager Debbie Van Saun, said the material which is a residual left behind after sewage is treated - did not pose a significant health or safety risk to the public.

"But obviously, it does not belong on the street," Van Saun said.

Van Saun said city crews were keeping track of their time to seek reimbursement from the contractor who was hauling the material.

Comments

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

and, just think, our city ran outa mulch! they just funged some other byproduct?
euwwww!

valve leaking...thank you for caring. "I don't take no sheet, 'cuz I don' leave no sheet!"

Eagle_aye 8 years, 8 months ago

Poop happens.... sorry but it had to be said :)

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 8 months ago

They didn't say if the "solids" had any corn in it!

TheEleventhStephanie 8 years, 8 months ago

That stinks. They should have dumped it at 6th and Wak.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 8 months ago

I didn't think that raw, fresh "biosolids" were appropriate to use as fertilizer. I thought it had to age past the point of "stank" before you could use it in that way.

"Biosolids". That's my new word for the day.

supermel718 8 years, 8 months ago

I had to cross through it at 13th street early this morning, now I can't get rid of the smell of Crap on my car!!! Sick!!

fletch 8 years, 8 months ago

Biosolids has to be the best new word I've heard in months.

CanadianPassport 8 years, 8 months ago

I'm about to biosolidify my pants over all this.

superduper 8 years, 8 months ago

I saw all of that on the street and from a distance thought it was asphalt or rock but a few seconds later the wind shifted......there was no doubt what those trucks were a dropping ;)

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

ya' know, they've been proposing a roundabout for 13th and haskell...maybe this is the new traffic constipating device?

also, anybody note this occurs on the same morning our c city signs its deal with Wal-Mart?
walmartion: "I drove in the way you said, whew, what's that stinky crap on the road?"

lawrence negotiator: "stinky crap, stinky crap we must call biosolids." Walmartian: "yuck. well...on to our business, we're going to force you to see things our way or else you're going to have to pay up." negotiator: "Oh, okay, we agree. its just we're building a new waste water treatment plant, and we'll be looking for a site for an associated biosolids plant, which occassionaly has leaky trucks leaving it..."
negotiator: "uh, now, we were thinking of placing it next door to your planned new joint, unless you give us more favorable terms...bwhahahaha bwhahaha bwhahahahahaha!" [biosolids truck just happens to drive by the window where they're negotiating] Walmartian: [coughing, sputtering... "Oh, sure, we'll see it your way, we don't want to get Wal-Mart into deep dodo..."

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

should read: "deep doodoo". and funny, ljreader and I same time, tie to Wal-Mart...must be true and we have the revelation!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 8 months ago

Do any of you have kids who are thinking of dropping out of school? Show them the pics from the photo gallery, and they'll realize that staying in school has it's benefits. Those with few credentials get to shovel biosolids for a living.

Biosolids. What a noble term for such an ignoble substance. It just rolls off the tongue. It rolls even better out of the back of trucks, apparently.

KsTwister 8 years, 8 months ago

For a moment I thought it was going to tell me the city of Lawrence had an export.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

YES, NO MULCH, WELL THERE'S BIOSOLIDS, THEY'RE ALL FUNGIBLE...

TheEleventhStephanie 8 years, 8 months ago

You should have seen the poor cop in the middle directing traffic. He kept stepping aside to the grass to wipe his feet.

kcwarpony 8 years, 8 months ago

Imagine if it had been a really HOT day!

wysiwyg69 8 years, 8 months ago

did anyone find my gold filling in the poop, I swallowed it two days ago and have not seen it since

KsTwister 8 years, 8 months ago

Google biosolids------this is really bad stuff. More like biohazard in more ways than one.

james bush 8 years, 8 months ago

Up until the politics started everyone was on a really funny roll. Thanks to the ones with such great senses of humor. My wife came in to find why I was laughing so much and I got to laugh though the good ones again with her.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

unconservativedroid=severely impaired sense of humor person...sad case. send us just 70-cents a day to sponsore this deprived child in daily humor to rehabilitate this poor unfortunate.

8muddyboots 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh, the irony of it all! Just think we've actually got enough of this stuff to fill a 2nd used water treatment plant..

PS Think you can drop out of school and be in charge of the city's used water - don't be an idiot. Chemistry, lots of physics, and ongoing course work on technology. This isn't something to leave to the less than committed. Three cheers for those folks who keep our toilets from overflowing and raw muck out our yards and streets.

signed, in my hip waders today... 8muddyboots