Archive for Friday, April 21, 2006

Biosolids spill blocks traffic on east Lawrence street

April 21, 2006, 9:45 a.m. Updated April 21, 2006, 11:21 a.m.

Clean-up took several hours this morning on a foul-smelling spill of "biosolids," or treated sewage, that blocked off traffic on an eastern Lawrence street.

"It stinks," said Israel Bermudez, who lives near the spill, which stretched a few blocks on the southbound lane of Haskell Avenue from about N 1550 Road to the 1300 block.

"I was wondering if I could get pain and suffering (damages) from this," Bermudez said, joking about filing a lawsuit.

City crews were called in to removed the waste from the street about 8:30 a.m. and had the street reopened shortly before 11 a.m.

The spill started as a truck carrying a by-product from the city's sewage treatment plant was heading south to take the biosolids to a field near Pleasant Grove to be used as fertilizer.

Police flashed their lights at Sue Deese, Oskaloosa, who was driving the truck about 8:30 a.m. to let her know about the spill.

"We're gonna grow corn, right in the middle of Haskell Avenue, y'all. It's plenty fertilized," Deese said.

13th and Haskell

Carl Janssen, project manager for NutriJect Systems Inc., which owns the truck, said he loaded the truck at the city plant and checked the latches, but they malfunctioned on the roadway, he said.

Assistant City Manager Debbie Van Saun, said the material which is a residual left behind after sewage is treated - did not pose a significant health or safety risk to the public.

"But obviously, it does not belong on the street," Van Saun said.

Van Saun said city crews were keeping track of their time to seek reimbursement from the contractor who was hauling the material.

Comments

8muddyboots 8 years ago

Oh, the irony of it all! Just think we've actually got enough of this stuff to fill a 2nd used water treatment plant..

PS Think you can drop out of school and be in charge of the city's used water - don't be an idiot. Chemistry, lots of physics, and ongoing course work on technology. This isn't something to leave to the less than committed. Three cheers for those folks who keep our toilets from overflowing and raw muck out our yards and streets.

signed, in my hip waders today... 8muddyboots

easy_mark 8 years ago

Does anyone else just skip right over macon's posts?

Marion Lynn 8 years ago

Call Mike Rundle and ask him.

Thanks.

Marion.

rightthinker 8 years ago

I wonder how they handle the condoms that get flushed? Somehow, someway, I hope that doesn't make it back into drinking water---yukky!!

Marion Lynn 8 years ago

All that stuff that was spilled on the street was still poop, no matter what you want to call it.

Thanks.

Marion.

ljreader 8 years ago

Yep- These 2 biosolidheads are a real buzz kill, jim. I'm outta here. G'Night

bearded_gnome 8 years ago

unconservativedroid=severely impaired sense of humor person...sad case. send us just 70-cents a day to sponsore this deprived child in daily humor to rehabilitate this poor unfortunate.

unconservitiveperson 8 years ago

i like the all caps.... high blood pressure??? bacon47..... you got there.....venting your hatred of democrats and not saying anything about your president who lied.... what part of no weapons of mass destruction don't you understand???? oh and who killed woman in 1966??

jimincountry- laughter is good..... hope you and your wife have a great night!

jimincountry 8 years ago

Up until the politics started everyone was on a really funny roll. Thanks to the ones with such great senses of humor. My wife came in to find why I was laughing so much and I got to laugh though the good ones again with her.

macon47 8 years ago

I MAY BE A FOOL BUT I DID NOT KILL A YOUNG WOMAN AND LET MY PARTY PROTECT ME FOR 40 YRS

rightthinker 8 years ago

uncoconcho--that worked real well along with music from Three6mafia. Thanks.

unconservitiveperson 8 years ago

You are not a nice person either. Lets see- you hate the idea of an educated population.... You hate the idea of people at KU being smarter than yourself [it don't take much]..... You hate the state parks..... You hate religions other than your own..... The list goes on and on..... You are a fool!

macon47 8 years ago

i am not a republican i despise what teddy has done to the party and those people still carry him around like he was a GOD HE WAS A KILLER

rightthinker 8 years ago

Anybody spot a chubby floating around in the aromatic mixture?

unconservitiveperson 8 years ago

I wonder why narrow minded fools think all those you speak out against them are DEMS.... I am NOT! I don't vote for R or D.... Get that through your thick skull.... and... go eat poop!

macon47 8 years ago

un con ser if i had teddy kennedys blood money i would so whats your point? do you like to take your girl swimming ? another good gore, kerry supporter great folks all of them

KsTwister 8 years ago

Google biosolids------this is really bad stuff. More like biohazard in more ways than one.

unconservitiveperson 8 years ago

Macon47- why don't put your money where your mouth is?

ljreader 8 years ago

OOO a treasure hunt fit for Fear Factor!

macon47 8 years ago

get teddy kennedy to help look for you filling he is pretty good at dunking and diving

wysiwyg69 8 years ago

did anyone find my gold filling in the poop, I swallowed it two days ago and have not seen it since

macon47 8 years ago

this is a direct result of bush and cheneys involvement in iraq .. i bet they profit somehow

kcwarpony 8 years ago

Imagine if it had been a really HOT day!

unconservitiveperson 8 years ago

Talkin about a bunch of poop...... Come on folks, get a life....

ljreader 8 years ago

Yeah, OldEnuf, I think these Americans were "doing jobs Americans won't do". We need to send these pictures to the Pres. I bet these guys wished they were "living in the shadows" today so no one could find them to come to work. Poor guys. Pywacket- The trucks must have leaky truck syndrome, but I like your theory about the salamandar better. Still, it was spilled near the salamandars' habitat. Poor little salamandars. The only good thing to come out of this is we can all add "biosolids" to our vocabularies.

Pywacket 8 years ago

Well, crap on a crap cracker! Don't look now, but they've done it again! Got detoured--again!!--this time on the road that runs east--west (north 1100? I'm not good with road #s) between "south Haskell" and 59 Highway.

I kiddingly asked the guy who directed us (an orange-vested worker this time, not a cop) whether they were the same guys who detoured us before, and he said, no, but this is the same reason/same people. Dumped some more dump on the road. I quickly rolled up my window and moved along.

I'm still a little confused on what the detour was last night--was it this stuff? South of 31st St, on the part of the road that runs past the wetlands? The article indicates that the first spill happened this morning, not last night. But I can't get any info on what, if something different, was dumped last night.

TheEleventhStephanie 8 years ago

You should have seen the poor cop in the middle directing traffic. He kept stepping aside to the grass to wipe his feet.

bearded_gnome 8 years ago

YES, NO MULCH, WELL THERE'S BIOSOLIDS, THEY'RE ALL FUNGIBLE...

KsTwister 8 years ago

For a moment I thought it was going to tell me the city of Lawrence had an export.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

Do any of you have kids who are thinking of dropping out of school? Show them the pics from the photo gallery, and they'll realize that staying in school has it's benefits. Those with few credentials get to shovel biosolids for a living.

Biosolids. What a noble term for such an ignoble substance. It just rolls off the tongue. It rolls even better out of the back of trucks, apparently.

ljreader 8 years ago

I just hope they didn't dispose of it in the Kaw-Kaw River.

ljreader 8 years ago

doodoo voodoo! Even though we both posted at 3:05, you were "number 2", Gnome, so you win.

bearded_gnome 8 years ago

should read: "deep doodoo". and funny, ljreader and I same time, tie to Wal-Mart...must be true and we have the revelation!

bearded_gnome 8 years ago

ya' know, they've been proposing a roundabout for 13th and haskell...maybe this is the new traffic constipating device?

also, anybody note this occurs on the same morning our c city signs its deal with Wal-Mart?
walmartion: "I drove in the way you said, whew, what's that stinky crap on the road?"

lawrence negotiator: "stinky crap, stinky crap we must call biosolids." Walmartian: "yuck. well...on to our business, we're going to force you to see things our way or else you're going to have to pay up." negotiator: "Oh, okay, we agree. its just we're building a new waste water treatment plant, and we'll be looking for a site for an associated biosolids plant, which occassionaly has leaky trucks leaving it..."
negotiator: "uh, now, we were thinking of placing it next door to your planned new joint, unless you give us more favorable terms...bwhahahaha bwhahaha bwhahahahahaha!" [biosolids truck just happens to drive by the window where they're negotiating] Walmartian: [coughing, sputtering... "Oh, sure, we'll see it your way, we don't want to get Wal-Mart into deep dodo..."

ljreader 8 years ago

How bad was it?? It was SOOO bad, if they spread this crap on the US southern border, the minutemen could scrap their plans for the wall they are threatening to build. Believe me, nobody wants a better life that bad. If they spread it on Wakarusa, Walmart wouldn't come in. Elwell could get some, and spread it around the western border of the city to keep Topekans out. Hell, it would keep the killer bees at bay.

ljreader 8 years ago

Yep, I went thru there this morning, and the smell was enough to gag a maggot. Did the biosolids fall out of a "dump" truck?

superduper 8 years ago

I saw all of that on the street and from a distance thought it was asphalt or rock but a few seconds later the wind shifted......there was no doubt what those trucks were a dropping ;)

CanadianPassport 8 years ago

I'm about to biosolidify my pants over all this.

fletch 8 years ago

Biosolids has to be the best new word I've heard in months.

Marion Lynn 8 years ago

What really happened here was that they loaded up all the BS that was down in city Hall and it sippled on the way to the disposal.

Thanks.

Marion.

supermel718 8 years ago

I had to cross through it at 13th street early this morning, now I can't get rid of the smell of Crap on my car!!! Sick!!

Pywacket 8 years ago

So.. does anybody know what was going on just south of 31st and Haskell, where Haskell runs past the wetland area, around 6:00 p.m. last night?

I was on my way into town and got rerouted. There were cop cars and at least one fire truck. We couldn't see whether there was a wreck or what. Did somebody run over a salamander?

This morning we saw sand all over the road in that area, so assumed that there had been a fuel spill or something.

Marion Lynn 8 years ago

"Biosolids" are poop.

Thanks.

Marion.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

I didn't think that raw, fresh "biosolids" were appropriate to use as fertilizer. I thought it had to age past the point of "stank" before you could use it in that way.

"Biosolids". That's my new word for the day.

TheEleventhStephanie 8 years ago

That stinks. They should have dumped it at 6th and Wak.

kansas_prairieland 8 years ago

They didn't say if the "solids" had any corn in it!

Gootsie 8 years ago

Coat the streets with Chanel #2.

Sideshow_Bob 8 years ago

Glad I don't live at 11th and Haskell.

Eagle_aye 8 years ago

Poop happens.... sorry but it had to be said :)

bearded_gnome 8 years ago

and, just think, our city ran outa mulch! they just funged some other byproduct?
euwwww!

valve leaking...thank you for caring. "I don't take no sheet, 'cuz I don' leave no sheet!"

Marion Lynn 8 years ago

Behold the power of poop!

Thanks.