Archive for Monday, April 10, 2006

Victim of fatal K-10 wreck identified

April 10, 2006

A fatal wreck along Kansas Highway 10 near Eudora may have caused at least one other wreck and sent two people to area hospitals.

The wreck, originally reported as a rollover accident involving one car, occurred when 20-year-old Sean Ryan of Lansing lost control of his Dodge Dakota, overcorrected, drove into the median and flipped several times, landing in the westbound lanes of the highway.

Responders included the Kansas Highway Patrol, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical and the Douglas County Sheriff's Department. They called for an air ambulance, which transported Heck to University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. Hospital officials would not release Heck's condition when contacted Sunday night.

Sheriff's department spokeswoman Keri Wempe said Sunday that another car ran off the road while trying to avoid the accident scene on K-10.

That accident occurred at the K-10 exit ramp to Church Street. The car left the road and turned into a ditch, damaging the vehicle.

Fire & Medical Division Chief Jerry Karr said an ambulance transported one person from that wreck to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries.

Karr speculated that the person may have been watching the accident scene on the highway rather than paying attention to the road, but Wempe said a Eudora Police officer in a patrol car may have been attempting to make a traffic stop nearby, inadvertently contributing to the accident.

Comments

none2 8 years ago

I think it is very sad that Sean died, and also that Cara was injured. It is sad whenever this happens regardless of who died and who was injured. These were both young people, and now one of them is no longer alive. I'm happy that her friends on here have said that she will fully recover from her injuries.

I must concur that the events of the accident were poorly explained in the article. It is worth critizing here because this isn't about whether the story was in PC language, or not. Rather, how you read this could have the wrong person being the deceased. Likewise, it did read a bit as though the jeep had hit the truck which is obviously incorrect from further statements that have been made in the comments.

Facts in a life/death situation are very important. It wasn't that long ago that there was a story about a grandfather who had a heart attack and died upon hearing of the death of his family. Also remember how upset the town was in West Virginia when they were first told ONLY ONE miner died, then they find out a few hours later that ALL BUT ONE minor died. Thus collecting the facts, and explaining them correctly in such tragic stories is important.

Many grammer comments are petty and trivial, but this time it is justified.

moderator 8 years ago

Please wear your seatbelts! This is something that I struggle with myself for no other reason than stubborness or laziness.

bearded_gnome 8 years ago

cedmonds' post exemplifies why clear writing really matters along with good reportage.
was not aware of the video of the sheet covering scene...if that happened, I'd say that does deserve apologies! violation of certain privacy and respect for the living left behind.
this was a sudden and terrible accident which could've been worse involving many more. kudos to some k10 drivers who handled it very well.
ceallach, glad you're okay now.

in the blink of an eye, our lives can be changed with no foreshaddowing. be sure that those you love know it, before it is too late.

cantWEallJUSTgetALONG 8 years ago

my comment got pulled? for what? suggesting flogging? GEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSS

Charly Edmonds 8 years ago

Just to clarify a few things. This man crossed the median and hit Cara head on and he was ejected from the car from rolling, not from Cara. As a very good friend of hers, she has been concerned with people reading the story as though she was the one who killed Sean. Cara, her family, and friends hearts go out to the family and friends of Sean and we are praying and thinking of you as you deal with your loss. To the man who came to her attention after the wreck, she would like to thank you for stopping and being there for her. I would also hope that the editor will print a "correction" notice in the paper.

rootoo2006 8 years ago

kweber - I missed that news story (as I'm assuming it was in Lawrence) but that is horrible! - h

rootoo2006 8 years ago

Thanks for pointing out the vague areas of the article, however............. Please stop.

I do hope that Cara has a very speedy.

As a very dear friend to Sean's mom I wish that we could post our apologies and best wishes and leave it there!

jayhawks71, the mom committee (figured out who this is yet!) told me about all of this and I agree! -h

kweber 8 years ago

This post is more for the 6news story, but I couldn't find a place to post there... I am a journalism student at Kansas, and I have completed courses in jounalism ethics. I found it deeply disturbing to show someone covering something in a white sheet. It is not directly shown what is being covered, so maybe I'm completely wrong here. But it can be assumed, and even it is wrongly assumed, the audience will still make that assumption. Maybe it's because I've had lectures and discussions about the subject in classes, or maybe it's because I've known Sean since grade school, but either way, I think it was wrong.

And to those of you who were concerned about the grammar in this article, maybe there are MUCH MORE important things that should be concerning you. It literally made me sick to my stomach reading those posts.

Harry_Manback 8 years ago

K-10 could benefit from some lights. I've driven it so many times at night I'm fine now, but if you're not accustomed to driving it at night, it can be tricky. People drive so fast and it's so poorly lit once you get out of Lenexa. A few lights would really help.

jayhawks71 8 years ago

oh put the grammar issue to rest people

Fire_Fighter_900 8 years ago

As a firefighter in kansas i believe the shoulder had any thing to do with rollovers. i ve seen lots of roll overs. so are from speed and over correcting real quick. the public always wants stuff if KDOT spends money on shoulder then that will delay other projects like 59hwy and it will take money from it.

Norma Jeane Baker 8 years ago

Sorry you disagree, betti81. Having taught writing for many years, I stand by my original statement about the vagueness of the article as written. I usually taught my students that if there was any question about the identity of a pronoun, then you need to clarify.

lv2ride, Sean does not always = "he". I showed no lack of respect.

To all involved, and particularly to the family of Sean Ryan -- my condolences and sympathies.

Gootsie 8 years ago

True, dad, but hopefully they know if their friend Cara is a he or a she!

But you are all right. The story needs a little more information.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

It DOES matter who did or didn't die. Right now, friends of these two are reading this and wondering if the person they know is alive or dead. No, Cara is NOT always going to be a woman. These days you cannot assume. I talked on the phone today with a "Demetrious" who was female. So, while some of you think that we have "missed" the tragedy by choosing to discuss the quality of the writing, I think that the quality of the writing is fundamental to mentally processing the tragedy. "Did my friend Cara die, or not?" is an important question to someone right now.

compmd 8 years ago

Cars with moving headlights have been around for at least 60 years. Nash and/or Hudson had them if I remember correctly. If your lights are properly aimed and focused though, you should be able to see just fine if you aren't overdriving the lights.

Also, it should be obvious if the one truck flipped. Certain structures are not meant to handle certain loads.

bangaranggerg 8 years ago

"Loss is the breaking of the shell that is our understanding, it is the bitter pill by which the physician inside ourselves trys to heal us, therefore drink his remedy in silence and tranquility."

Ceallach 8 years ago

Gootsie, I think it actually happened between 10:15 and 10:30 p.m. It was at the end of a long day in KC. My friend was exhausted and not feeling well. I knew there was nothing I could do to help the workers so I thought it best not to add to the number of cars along each side of the road. I was very upset by it all and could not go to sleep for several hours after I got home.

Gootsie 8 years ago

Wow Nicole. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure that misinformation has upset her even further.

Gootsie 8 years ago

The article yesterday said it happened (I think) about 12:05 Sunday morning. Something like that. Cellach?

Hey C, glad you are OK.

nicoleeudaly 8 years ago

There have now been two articles written about this wreck. Both articles have not been correct. As a very good friend of Cara's, and in spending time in the hospital with her, I can say that she is not the one who hit the truck. He ran through the median and hit Cara's car almost, if not completely head on. He did not flip his car and then get hit by Cara. Cara fortunately is stable in the hospital and will eventually be fine. I'm not placing blame, but strictly getting the facts straight that the paper has failed to do twice now. Cara, her family and friends express sympathy toward Sean's family and friends.

cantWEallJUSTgetALONG 8 years ago

Ceallach 8 years ago

It was indeed a terrible tragedy! In fairness to the posters, they were neither minimizing the accident nor disrespecting the victim. They were expressing their initial confusion when reading the article. There are times when posters have been tremendously rude toward individuals in articles, but this does not seem to be one of them. As I mentioned earlier, I was at the scene very shortly after the accident occurred. I am amazed that anyone survived!! My sympathy and best wishes go out to the friends and families of all involved. I apologize if I seemed in anyway cavalier about the situation, it certainly was not my intent.

lv2ride 8 years ago

betti81: You are exactly right!!! It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which victim was the fatal one, Cara = she & Sean = he, Common sense. Everybody needs to stop being so critical of the little things and REALIZE THAT A LIFE WAS LOST AND OTHERS HURT ----- HAVE SOME RESPECT AND COMPASSION!!!!!!!!

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years ago

Informed: You may think that the writing was vague but I doubt that they are going to airlift a person that was declared dead at the scene.

esubrett 8 years ago

Thank you to betti81 for remembering that there was a person killed in this accident. I knew Sean Ryan (the man who was thrown from the vehicle and was killed in the accident) and ask that you have a little sympathy for the family of the deceased. You are complaining about the article and missing the point completly. Thank you again betti81 for the respect for my friend.

Ceallach 8 years ago

Well, if it comes to upgrading my car, Lexus or Infinity that would roughly translate to Space Shuttle, given my budget :)

betti81: we gripe about them, you gripe about us, that's the beauty of these boards. :-P

betti81 8 years ago

I did not once think that it was Cara that was ejected. "he" in this sentence would refer to the closest proper noun previous to it, which is Ryan. Who needs to take editing 101??

This is a tragedy and all you people can do is criticize the writing and editing...pathetic.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

This is why Lexus (or is it Infinity?) is making cars with the headlights that turn when you turn, so you can see what's around the bend.

An unfortunate tragedy.

I'm guessing that "Cara" is the male that was ejected. Otherwise, this is really bad writing and editing.

redfred 8 years ago

If KDOT would pave the shoulders on K-10 in Douglas County, like it is in Johnson county, it would significantly reduce the number of roll overs that are occurring out there.

Ceallach 8 years ago

I passed the scene just a few minutes after it happened. There were already 4 other cars at the side of the road with drivers out trying to help so I did not stop. It was horrific! The accident happened on the western end of the curve, as a westbound driver I did not see the accident until I was right on it. At highway speed you do not have time to avoid anything in the road! It took a moment for me to process what I had seen. My friend's husband called us right after we saw it because he heard the call on a scanner and was concerned that we were involved.

I agree about the way it was worded. It wasn't until I reread "he was thrown" that I realized they were talking about the first driver.

Why would law enforcement personnel try to slow or stop traffic in a way that causes others to run into the ditch??? Surely there are other ways to accomplish that goal.

Norma Jeane Baker 8 years ago

That's what I thought, but I don't make assumptions based on name anymore.

Nikki May 8 years ago

I agree, that is vague. Cara is usually a girls name, but still.

Norma Jeane Baker 8 years ago

"Moments later, a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee driven by Lawrence resident Cara Heck, 25, hit Ryan's truck head-on. He was ejected from his truck and pronounced dead at the scene."

Reading this paragraph, one would assume that it was Heck who was 'ejected from his truck and pronounced dead at the scene'.

Vague writing leads to vague conclusions...