Archive for Wednesday, April 5, 2006

When out with your dog, it pays to be a quicker picker-upper

Residents also should remember to keep pooches on a leash

April 5, 2006

When it comes to cleaning up after his dog, Mike Wagner isn't perfect.

He estimates that 90 percent of the time, he does his duty as a good citizen and cleans up after his golden retriever, Jessie, while they're out walking together in public.

The rest of the time? Watch your step.

"You can't find it at night sometimes," Wagner said Tuesday as he rode through South Park on his bicycle with Jessie running ahead on a leash.

It's the time of year when many people are out walking their dogs - a good time for a refresher course on the city's requirements for keeping animals on leashes and cleaning up behind them.

Letting a dog or cat run at large carries a $30 city fine for first-time offenders. Failing to clean up excrement is a $10 fine.

Except in the city's two off-leash dog parks - one at Riverfront Park and the other near Clinton Lake dam - dogs must be firmly attached to a leash or chain under the owner's control. Or they must be kept inside a fence.

Cats aren't considered to be "at large" as long as they stay on their owners' property.

Don Mayberger and his dog Nokona go for an afternoon walk on Tuesday in the alley of the 700 block of Tennessee Street.

Also, it's not just illegal to fail to clean up after an animal. It's illegal under city code to appear with an animal in public "without some means for removal of excrement."

City prosecutor Jerry Little said the majority of the city's leash violations came from people who let their dogs get loose from home.

"It's usually that the person doesn't maintain real good control of the animal," he said. "Maybe they leave them in the backyard and there's a fence, but the fence is broken. A few get out by accident."

Exact numbers weren't available Tuesday about the number of "animal at large" citations issued in the city. Little said he had only seen one or two cases of failing to clean up excrement.

Related link

Animal control officers don't automatically cite someone if they spot a dog that's not on a leash. Wagner said he had received a warning for letting his dog run without a leash on the Kansas River levee.

Lawrence Police spokeswoman Kim Murphree said officers had discretion about whether to give a citation, based on their assessment of the situation and previous related cases.

Comments

roadrunner 8 years, 8 months ago

I think Jannie needs to move out of town!! You know somewhere where everything is perfect, with white picket fences in every yard and a plastic smile on everyone's face. If "cops are scum" is the only thing you got from this story, then you really do need to seek some help from a professional!

craigers 8 years, 8 months ago

Jannie why do you hate America?

Sorry, I had to say it.

cutny 8 years, 8 months ago

It's a common courtesy to clean up after your dog. It's very easy to stick one of the plastic shopping bags that litter the streets and fill the city's tree branches in your pocket when you leave your house with your dog. Some people think they can't be bothered to perform such a basic courtesy, but once you get in the habit of it, you'll see that it is no big deal. Doing something "90% of the time" is 10% less often than you should. Maybe they should make the fine higher to teach the people that need it a lesson. Probably only in Mayberry is a city fine so inexpensive. Watch your step.

hobb2264 8 years, 8 months ago

I just wish they would start enforcing this law in Eudora. I get tired of trying to avoid land mines when I'm mowing my yard. Note to my neighbors....I just fertilized my yard last weekend. I should be pretty well covered until June or July.

benm024 8 years, 8 months ago

macon please- Do you know how many people run up to pet and compliment our Siberian Husky when we occasionally decide to walk him around mass street. Our dog loves the attention and the exercise, the kids love to see him, and everybody is having a great time. Talk about being against something completely harmless. You really should find other things to worry about.

Tell you what, next time you see a happy couple walking down the street with their husky come say hi and introduce yourself. I'll even let you pet our dog... come on scrooge, you know you want to :)

Matthew Del Vecchio 8 years, 8 months ago

I would take my dog to the Riverfront Park if i did'nt have to worry about her eating condoms off the ground, and if i did'nt have to wonder why there are cars backed into the parking spots with creepy dudes in them. Let's be realistic we have one dog park and a ........ what ever you want to call it.

Matthew Del Vecchio 8 years, 8 months ago

what's the fine for "doing it" behind a bush??

billybeanbag 8 years, 8 months ago

How on earth are we supposed to keep a cat in the yard?!

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 8 months ago

DVECC, I sent you an e-mail!

And you are soooooo right about that whole Riverfront Park thing!

It's a known hang out for creepy guys and clandestine sex.

I stopped walking my dog there a long time ago! I got tired of seeing "horny dudes" cruising around there (alone in their car) during the twi-light hours and looking (or waiting) to hook up with some other horny dude they met in some Internet chatroom or wherever!!

It's disgusting!! And I hope some LJ World person is reading this post of mine and decides to do a story on it!! The LJ World needs to go undercover with the Lawrence Police and/or Douglas County Sheriff's Department and together they need to camp out in that area and hopefully nail some of these "having sex outdoors perverts"!!!

benm024 8 years, 8 months ago

Ok macon, we agree to an extent. My dog would get pummeled if a mean dog attacked him, and the owner would be hit with a lawsuit faster then he could say "down boy". Like you, I have no tolerance for people who allow aggressive dogs around people.

The solution is not to ban walking dogs on mass. Its to punish those who don't take personal responsibility keeping their "mutts" under control.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

Are there any ordinances about having a pit bull?

b_asinbeer 8 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like macon47 is bitter and is for banning dogs in Lawrence....what a shame.

SpeedRacer 8 years, 8 months ago

Gootsie, I don't believe that there is a specific ordinance which cites "pit bulls" because there are different definitions of what a pit bull is. There are ordinances against dangerous dogs at large and aggressive dogs and dogs kept for the pupose of fighting other dogs (such as the normal definition of pit bull). This is the complete animal ordinance:

mom_of_three 8 years, 8 months ago

We have taken our dog downtown occassionally, and only when we can eat outdoors, so he is always chaperoned. There are so many noises, sights and sounds he has never seen before, and you never know how he or someone else may react. He is a lovable lug who has never hurt anything, but you can't be too careful.
It is a good habit to clean up after your dog, especially in public places.

American_Pit_Bull_Terrier 8 years, 8 months ago

Macon,

Why don't you take the time to educate yourself and stop using the ignorant/uninformed term "pit bull"...okay?

Thank you!

American_Pit_Bull_Terrier 8 years, 8 months ago

And oh, by the way, I happen to agree with DVEEC and Kansas Prairieland.

Over the years I too have seen more than my fair share of creepy-looking men (of various ages, ranging from early 20's to guys that look like they are in their 50's) cruising around alone in their automobiles down by the Riverfront area. And yes, I too have seen more than my fair share of used condoms scattered about!! And it's deplorable to say the least!

I do hope that law enforcement does something about that so that someday I may feel comfortable enough to return to that area to walk my dog.

In the meantime, I'll continue to stay away!

I only hope that someday (soon) I'll read an article in the LJW about an undercover operation in that area that resulted in numerous arrests of men engaging in "lewd and lascivious conduct"!!

Maybe then the word will get out and these pigs will stop hanging around there once and for all!!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 8 months ago

Thank you Speed Racer! You're the best!

American_Pit_Bull_Terrier 8 years, 8 months ago

Not really sure what you mean there, Macon.

LJ, have you read Panda's previous posts? I think Panda does, in fact, eat bamboo! LOL!

Staci Dark Simpson 8 years, 8 months ago

Has anyone ever picked up a steaming dog apple? EEEEWWWW! I did the inside out shopping bag trick and that is just nasty. Carry along hand sanitizer, I still felt gross. What if your dog has the squirts? double ewwww! I don't mind picking up after my dog but if it makes me hurl that kind of defeats the purpose.

lelly 8 years, 8 months ago

Journal World: Expose the riverfront dog park for what it is...please. The city foisted that area off as a dog park without making any attempts to clean out the "down-low". The city should be ashamed of themselves. The law enforcement division should do its job and not expect the dog owners to do it for them. (The same law enforcement division that asked a local bicycle group to partol the levy to keep the runners safe...uhh, the police department has bike patrol officers, send their booties out to do it!)

All it would take is a LJW reporter with camera taking pictures of men and their liscense plates to keep the business men and reverands at home.

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 8 months ago

You are so right, lelly!!

I'd be willing to bet that if ANYONE went down there and took pictures of license plates...it would be enough to scare away all of them men who have wives and kids at home....and yet like to go seek out young male flesh....wherever they can find it!

And you're right! Many of these pervs probably are reverends, priests, and other so-called "pillars of the community"!!!

Confrontation 8 years, 8 months ago

SpeedRacer 8 years, 8 months ago

Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends. - Alexander Pope,

ChasL 8 years, 8 months ago

Made the mistake of getting back to the ramp after dark one evening, after a fishing trip. All the "creepy men" are no longer in their cars and there about 3 times as many.............unbelievably this is happening in our public parks. It's truly sad we have a park in this town that I would be afraid to let my 9 year old son out of my sight for a second.

Let's face the facts though, this is only North Lawrence:

Streets in such disrepair that people are being maimed and killed because of it.

Zero Fire Stations............noticed west Lawrence is getting 2 new ones.

Lewd and indecent behavior in our one and only Park. The police have said if they can't see it they can do nothing about it.............get your ass out of your car and take a walk!!

I guess my tax dollars are better spent in NW Lawrence making sure the rich folk can flush. My tax dollars are doing very little in my own neighborhood. What a shame.

SpeedRacer 8 years, 8 months ago

I have never lived in North Lawrence and get over there infrequently, but I have always felt N. Lawrence gets the dirty end of the stick. One of the things I have always believed is that N. Second street is the entrance to the City, and it's state gives visitors a bad first impression. There are junky lots that would never be allowed south of the river and the City's neglect gives no one an incentive to put business there...I don't even think there is a grocery store there.

benm024 8 years, 8 months ago

If you don't like north Lawrence, move out of it. I don't understand why people cry about their living arrangements but continue to live there. If everybody moved out, perhaps the Lawrence City Commision would figure it out. I agree with you 100%. North Lawrence is a dump. Its neglected, and reeks of slum and trash. I would move to Topeka before I lived there.

And spare me there is nowhere to go. Not all of west Lawrence is "for the rich" and east Lawrence has plenty of housing as well.

TheEleventhStephanie 8 years, 8 months ago

I'm just glad to hear of people USING condoms. Seriously.

American_Pit_Bull_Terrier 8 years, 8 months ago

SpeedRacer, thanks!

I appreciated that!

Here's one for you....

www.badrap.org/rescue/breed.cfm

I think you'll enjoy it!

And hey, Macon, why don't you read it too!

Confrontation 8 years, 8 months ago

conservativeman-I'm afraid to say that I agree with your very last statement. Any donations to the Humane Society should be use only for euthanasia drugs and carcus disposal.

dozer 8 years, 8 months ago

Marion - didn't you say you had evidence of illegal dog fighting in Lawrence? Maybe Jannie's dog that bites little kids is in on the mix.

jocoboy 8 years, 8 months ago

In reponse to Confrontation's - "Dogs are a big waste of money. People waste too much money on their humane society donations. Think of all the kids who could be helped if these donations were made to more worthwhile causes."

I propose you take care of your own kids so I don't have too. That is the problem with parents today - always looking for a handout! Please explain to me why Missouri is considering taxing people to pay for seatbelts in school buses - if I lived in Missouri why should I have to pay that when its your kids that ride the bus to school? This makes me think kids are huge waste of my money.

Dogs can't help that people choose "the flavor" of the month and then when things don't work out they dispose of them like a lighter. I'll continue to help them since they can't help themselves.

Thanks for your invaluable insight "Confrontation" but I'll stick with my dogs....

J Good Good 8 years, 8 months ago

I know it is off topic, but I really don't see how "public breast feeders" deserves to be on nasty list like that, Marion. Have issues with happy babies? Did a mean old boobie attack you ;)