Archive for Saturday, September 24, 2005

Orioles tell Palmeiro to stay away

September 24, 2005


— Rafael Palmeiro's baseball season was over, the Baltimore Orioles told him Friday, the result of a positive test for steroids that severely tainted his remarkable career and proved to be too big a distraction for his teammates to ignore.

"He won't be dressing for the rest of the year," Orioles executive vice president Jim Beattie said. "We felt it wouldn't be appropriate for the organization."

The abrupt end to Palmeiro's season came one day after it was learned he cited a vitamin he received from teammate Miguel Tejada as possibly causing the positive steroid test. The Orioles said Major League Baseball absolved Tejada of any wrongdoing.

Beattie said the decision was made during a meeting he attended with owner Peter Angelos, vice president Mike Flanagan and manager Sam Perlozzo. Beattie said Palmeiro was disappointed to learn he would not be welcomed back.

"I would say he wasn't totally in agreement," Beattie said. "He had his sights on finishing out the season."

Beattie said Palmeiro probably would clean out his locker this weekend.

Palmeiro, 40, has not yet decided whether to return for the 2006 season. He hit .266 with 18 home runs and 60 RBIs this year.

Palmeiro received a 10-day suspension Aug. 1 for using steroids. At that point, a season in which he became the fourth player in major-league history to amass 3,000 hits and 500 home runs quickly began to unravel.

Upon his return, Palmeiro was jeered by fans at home and away. He went 2-for-26 with one RBI and wore earplugs during a game in Toronto before the Orioles finally sent him home Sept. 5 for rehabilitation on his right knee and left ankle.

The first baseman was scheduled to return Friday from Texas to finish the season, but the Orioles decided against it.

Earlier, Beattie said baseball had cleared Tejada.

"They tested the stuff Miggy had and found out it was B12 and cleared it, and that's the end of the story," Beattie said.

Nats' Guillen suspended

New York - Washington outfielder Jose Guillen was suspended for one game and fined an undisclosed amount Friday for throwing a tantrum - and a lot of equipment - after being ejected earlier this month in a game against the New York Mets.

Los Angeles Angels hitting coach Mickey Hatcher and Arizona Diamondbacks bench coach Jay Bell each were suspended one game and fined in separate incidents. All of the penalties were imposed by Bob Watson, vice president of on-field operations for Major League Baseball.

Guillen, who was in the lineup Friday night against the Mets, said he appealed the suspension.

During Washington's 6-3 victory Sept. 14, Guillen was called out on strikes in the fifth inning. Plate umpire Bill Miller said Guillen cursed from the dugout and ejected him.

Guillen then threw a batting helmet onto the field, followed by a few bats and a shinguard.

Clemens to miss start

Chicago - Houston's Roger Clemens will miss his start today against the Chicago Cubs because of a sore left hamstring. Clemens, who tweaked the hamstring in his Sept. 3 start, is day-to-day.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.