Archive for Sunday, September 18, 2005

Woman shot at apartment complex

September 18, 2005

A woman was wounded early this morning in a shooting at an apartment complex, Lawrence Police said.

An investigation led officers to a suspect who was arrested a few hours later, according to a news release issued by Police Capt. Dan Affalter. The suspect, identified as Domonic A. Shepherd, was booked into the Douglas County Jail on suspicion of attempted second-degree murder.

At 6:24 a.m. police responded to a report of a shooting at the apartment complex in the 700 block of Comet Lane. They found the victim, who had been shot in the face.

She was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital and then transferred to a Kansas City area hospital. Her injuries were not thought to be life-threatening at this time, according to the news release.

Police are still searching for the weapon used in the crime. If anyone has any information about the incident, they are asked to call detectives at 830-7430 or Crime Stoppers at 843-TIPS. Crime Stoppers callers can remain anonymous, and information that results in the recovery of the gun could make them eligible for a $100 cash award from the Gun Stoppers program.

Comments

Jclarkson 9 years, 8 months ago

yeah, how can you be shot in the face and not be life threatening? Unless she was hit in the side of the face and it took out her nose?

Still, thats sad to happen. My condolenses go out to victim.

Sigmund 9 years, 8 months ago

Don't forget they busted that smoking bartender too. Thank God they have their priorities straight.

Sigmund 9 years, 8 months ago

A whole one-hundred dollars! Jeez, a woman get shot in the face and the best the LPD can do is $100? Guess it shows how seriously the LPD takes domestic violence involving firearms. Don't take this wrong, if I knew anything I would give it up free of charge. But how likely is this piece of $%#$'s "friends" are going to give it up for $100? Hell they could pawn or sell the gun for more than that.

ggg234 9 years, 8 months ago

I am a resident at the apartment complex that the shooting occured. I would like to say I am very displeased with the type of behavior the resisdent choose to partake in. This is one of the best apartment complexes as well as one of the most expensive, and we don't pay $600.00 for a one-bedroom to be awaken by gunshoots at 6:30 in the morning. So please if you are going to act ghetto, move to one.

To inform the rest of you reading this, it was the resisdents "friends" who came over to the apartment to smoke crack or whatever you do at 6:30am. And when one girl wouldn't leave the man with her got pissed and shot her.

vando82 9 years, 8 months ago

I for one live in the building where this occurred. There are so many things wrong on BOTH sides of the table, that of the apartment complex and that of LPD. If i am going to pay the ridiculous amount to live in a nice complex, I damn well dont want have to deal with gunshots across the hall. Rumor has it that Management wasnt even aware of the incident until late Sunday night.(even after many messages left to their answering service)..NOT IMPRESSED! I think the tenants here at Canyon Court and every other complex, should be carefully screened. They should not be treated as just another apartment OFF the vacant list. I was proved more today why my money is being thrown away every month...where was management when all of this was happening? *** HELLO???? Has anyone tried to call the tips hotline? or tried to get ahold of an officer at the PD? If so, you will know that its IMPOSSIBLE. I tried for hours today with no luck...some how they missed the shotgun shell laying on the ground. Overall, this whole incident has not only made me afraid of where i live...it also made me feel like i cant depend of the LPD, and that in itself is much more frightening.

hurlehey 9 years, 8 months ago

Can't depend on the LPD? Didn't you read last week when they caught that guy mooning them on Mass? Thank god they got THAT guy off the street!

newsreader 9 years, 8 months ago

First off, $600 for a one-bedroom is not that much for Lawrence. Don't make it out like you people live in the Ritz Carlton. Regardless, nobody should be woken up at anytime from gunshots (unless you live in a warzone.)

My question, perhaps wrong, is how does someone get shot in the face with a shotgun and have "non-life threatening injures." That boggles my mind...