Archive for Thursday, September 8, 2005

Lawrence won’t be a host site for hurricane evacuees

September 8, 2005

Lawrence won't be a site for an emergency shelter for people displaced by Hurricane Katrina after all.

Paula Phillips, director of Douglas County Emergency Preparedness, told a group of public service and nonprofit leaders this morning to stop all planning efforts for a shelter. Phillips said she received word from state officials that the expected number of evacuees who would be transferred to Kansas was far less than the 4,230 maximum number of people the state had agreed to accept.

"We're done," Paula Phillips told a group of more than 50 public service and nonprofit leaders who had gathered for a second day to plan for a 250-person shelter that would have been located in Kansas University's Robinson Center.

Phillips had just gotten off the phone with state emergency management leaders who said Kansas was expected to receive only 500 evacuees on Monday, far fewer than the maximum of 4,230 people that Gov. Kathleen Sebelius said the state could take. Lawrence was slated to open a shelter only if the state received more evacuees than the 4,230 maximum. All of Monday's evacuees, which are from New Orleans, are scheduled to be housed in Wichita's Century II convention center.

Comments

Jayhawk226 9 years, 7 months ago

Homeless or not...

...I don't think the refugees will be sad they don't have to relocate to Kansas.

J Good Good 9 years, 7 months ago

most of them want to stay closer to home. They turned down Cape Cod too.

Farmers_Daughter 9 years, 7 months ago

Why the heck would ANY official choose Garden City over Lawrence?? Just makes me wonder...

sonny 9 years, 7 months ago

I think this is so dumb. Lawrence would be a great area but I just hope it has nothing to do with race an not wanting anymore black people to come to lawrence. I just think it's stupid they can go to Garden City with no jobs, cowboy's yeah right that a serious culture shock, I mean thier hardley no minorieties out thier. and Topeka it's cool thier jobs but it's no Lawrence ware thier a major university, but they want us to go to Garden city communitty college what a crock. lawrence still racist!!!

Farmers_Daughter 9 years, 7 months ago

From the Garden City Telegram: (http://www.gctelegram.com/news/2005/september/7/story1.html )

"The Kansas Emergency Management Office designated Garden City Tuesday as one of five sites that could take in hurricane evacuees. Wichita is set to receive about 1,800 people, Topeka was designated for 1,500, while Salina and Johnson County were tagged for 500 and 180, respectively.

Henry said an emergency shelter with 270 cots had been set up at the Finney County Exhibition Building at the Finney County Fairgrounds. If and when evacuees arrive, they'll be taken to Garden City Community College to register with the Red Cross and bussed to the Exhibition Building. "

Great!! A giant Metal Building with a concrete floor sitting on an asphalt plain! No showers, crappy restroom facilities and just a lousy place all around! I've been there plenty of times--what was KS thinking?

J Good Good 9 years, 7 months ago

Garden City has the largest meat packing plant in the nation (world?) and lots of hispanics and some blacks too. It also is ugly and smells bad. However, Lawrence does not have many decent paying entry level jobs.

laughingatallofu 9 years, 7 months ago

ruskastud better be praying that his Maker didn't read that last comment.

sickofracecard 9 years, 7 months ago

Can everyone quit complaining for once? All I have heard all week are complaints and how our government screwed up and how there were racial reasons why the government did'nt get there soon enough . . .blah blah blah blah blah. So what if they are sending the "survivors" to Garden City - who are you to say the town sucks? Do all of you work beside Bush everyday? Do you know exactly what he does on a day to day basis? Could you do a better job? I am so sick of hearing everyone bash Bush and the race card being thrown into this I could scream! Instead of wasting your time complaining and pointing fingers why don't you do something constructive with your time and actually help the survivors of this hurricane? It might do everyone some good to do something nice for a change out of the goodness of your heart . . . . like maybe say a prayer for the people who are still suffering - oh but I forgot it's probably illegal to "pray" these days, right?

bearded_gnome 9 years, 7 months ago

Yo Iralianprincess (sorry, i cannot backspace!) I have written to you three times to volunteer for your event, and no word...wrote through this site, so maybe you did not get them? would like to support your event!

LawrenceMommy 9 years, 7 months ago

Sonny has obviously never been outside of Lawrence. Garden City isn't my favorite place, by any means, but there are a hell of a lot more minorities there than there are in Lawrence. White people (non-Hispanic) are actually a minority there now. Man, you're quick to judge with absolutely no knowledge of a situation, aren't you. Typical.

laughingatallofu 9 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the clarification, ruskastud. It wasn't obvious (to me) in your post.

Nonetheless, you DO pose a challenge to the City of Lawrence: Help the homeless. Unfortunately, the political and community will is just not there. Lawrence isn't unique---this happens everywhere. Shame on us.

sonny 9 years, 7 months ago

Ok sonny will respond. I know all thier is is a *ucking meant packing plant thier(Garden City) ware lots of elegal immigrants work along side with blacks with a dead end future. I want more for are young black's I want what you guys here have for your children right here in Lawrence. and yes I've been all over this country and i see the same thing decisions from the stae level my ass. They know ware they want us. I like the fact some were sent to parrie village, now that motivates me seeing that you can go from a low income area and go to the most wealthest ware their are jobs and a real future. I guess you know I'm black that why I feel so strongly about these quick dumb decisions. I love lawrence I thoght we would have a chance. and the race card, whites are so pissed when it's thrown but it's a huge factor and we know it. let's keep it so called "real" and admitt it, I do not like throwing the card but really some times it's needed and how are others who don't know our struggle going to tell us when to throw something your out of place. I'm far from a racist but close to the NAACP. I grew up here and have a diverse backround I hope no one get's my veiw twisted.

Todd 9 years, 7 months ago

Garden City demographics from 2000 census: http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/popInfo.php?locIndex=4647

It says the city's white population is 68% of the total. Not too shabby for KS but nowhere near minority status.

Lawrence demographics from the 2000 census: http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/popInfo.php?locIndex=4791

Lawrence is/was 83% white.

I think the reason Lawrence wasn't chosen involve proximity to Nawlins and city size.

sonny 9 years, 7 months ago

send them to places with a future and a tad bit more diversity. I was born in St.Louis moved to the east saint louis, Ill then I moved to chicago then moved to a nice beutiful college town named lawrence ware poeple have a better chance at life... not a chance but (better chance) I'd had never seen people be so nice, Id never been to a school before I came here ware teachers smiled cause they were actully paid what they were worth. The people coming from New Orleans Needs the chance I was given. thier from an prodominate black area and ya'll know that mean a low income area cuase that 's society placing us. my point it's better here but I had a serious case of culture shock when I came here think what poeple from N.O are feeling in ware .. Garden City.

yourworstnightmare 9 years, 7 months ago