Olathe Jeremiah Creswell, the man who stabbed former Kansas University basketball player J.R. Giddens at a Lawrence night spot, was sentenced Tuesday to 24 months' probation for pulling a steak knife on his uncle and threatening to kill his mother.
The incident with his relatives happened June 12, almost a month after the fight that left Giddens and others cut and Creswell battered.
The Johnson County sentencing for Creswell's menacing behavior with family members was unrelated to the May 19 brawl outside the Moon Bar near Ninth and Iowa streets in Lawrence.
During that melee, five men, including Giddens, were stabbed. Creswell told police he acted in self-defense.
Douglas County Dist. Atty. Charles Branson last week charged Creswell with one count of misdemeanor battery stemming from the Moon Bar fight. Giddens was charged with misdemeanor battery and disorderly conduct.
In lieu of arrests, both Creswell and Giddens were issued summonses to appear in Douglas County District Court on Sept. 21.
Giddens transferred to the University of New Mexico in July.
As part of the Johnson County probation, Creswell, 24, is prohibited from possessing a firearm, consuming alcohol, beer or illegal drugs, or having contact with his uncle.
Judge John P. Bennett agreed to let Creswell live with his mother, denying Assistant Dist. Atty. Jacqie Spradling's objection to the arrangement.
"She's the victim," Spradling said afterward. "I was trying to look out for her best interests. I would have preferred no contact until there was some level of comfort that whatever problem had, in fact, been fixed."
But Creswell's court-appointed attorney, David Magariel, assured the court Creswell and his mother had "mended fences" since the June 12 altercation and that his client "had nowhere else to go."
Bennett warned Creswell that having "violent contact" with his mother would constitute a violation of his parole and likely would result in his spending 27 months in prison.
Creswell's criminal record is known to include aggravated battery and possession of cocaine convictions in Shawnee County. His juvenile record includes an incident with a firearm.
He's spent the past 87 days in the Johnson County Adult Detention Facility, unable to post $50,000 bail.
Moon Bar fight
- Creswell doesn't show for Moon Bar hearing (10-26-05)
- 6News video: Former Moon Bar up for sale (10-10-05)
- Former Moon Bar building, land for sale (10-11-05)
- Suspect in Moon Bar case gets probation for threat (09-07-05)
- Giddens charged in bar brawl (08-31-05)
- Lobo coach defends Giddens (08-31-05)
- 6News video: Charges filed in Moon Bar incident (08-30-05)
- Giddens speaks ... but not about melee (07-23-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens cleared to play with UNM (07-22-05)
- KU's Case will miss ex-roomie Giddens (07-13-05)
- Self wishes Giddens good luck at UNM (07-11-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens transferring to New Mexico (07-10-05)
- Giddens will transfer to New Mexico (07-10-05)
- Giddens to visit N. Mexico (07-08-05)
- 6Sports video: New Mexico recruiting Giddens (07-07-05)
- Bedore: Change of scenery for Giddens, change of name for bar (07-03-05)
- 6Sports video: Jayhawks prepared to move on without Giddens (07-02-05)
- Self, KU look to future without Giddens (07-02-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens to transfer from KU (07-01-05)
- 6Sports video: Giddens remains an enigma (07-01-05)
- 6News video: Fans not surprised about Giddens leaving (07-01-05)
- Hear Bill: June 30 press conference on Giddens' transfer
- Self: We prepared for this (07-01-05)
- KU, Giddens part ways (07-01-05)
- Former players say Giddens will be missed (07-01-05)
- Fans ready to move on (07-01-05)
- Perkins supports Self, team (07-01-05)
- Giddens back in Lawrence (06-29-05)
- Former FBI agents probing Giddens case (06-27-05)
- 6Sports video: KU hires private investigators to look into Moon Bar incident (06-26-05)
- Mayer: Questions abound around Giddens' past, present and future (06-25-05)
- Giddens' role still murky (06-18-05)
- 6News video: Police finish investigation of Moon Bar incident (06-17-05)
- Police file report on Moon Bar brawl (06-17-05)
- 6News video: Giddens stabbing suspect appears in court for unrelated charge (06-13-05)
- Giddens' troubles mystify friends from hometown (06-12-05)
- Kansas considering background checks (06-09-05)
- Results of investigation might stay sealed (06-09-05)
- Woodling: Far East junket provides respite (06-09-05)
- Key witness denies Giddens was instigator (06-08-05)
- Coach: Giddens' status 'isolated' (06-08-05)
- Giddens not expected for first summer term (06-07-05)