Archive for Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Police investigate reported rape of KU student

September 7, 2005

Lawrence Police are investigating the reported rape of an intoxicated Kansas University student who told police she was assaulted in an alley as she was walking home in east Lawrence.

The 20-year-old student told police she was walking home about 10:30 p.m. Saturday when she became lost and met a man who told her he could show her a short cut. Police said the man then walked the woman down an alley and raped her.

The woman eventually found her way home and called police, who came to her home and then took her to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Sgt. Dan Ward declined to give the exact location of the assault but said it happened east of Massachusetts Street, west of Delaware Street, north of 15th Street and south of 10th Street.

He said the woman described her attacker as a black male between 6 feet and 6 feet two inches tall, 240 to 260 pounds, with a white T-shirt, 3-inch Afro hairstyle, and a baseball cap.

Ward asked anyone with information to call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 843-TIPS or the Lawrence Police Department at 841-7210.

Comments

katethegreat 9 years, 10 months ago

offtotheright... i never said i went down the stairs did i? You can do a lot of yelling from the top to convince someone to leave. And the guy was next to the porch when the boyfriend left. Doesn't matter anyway. I have people pass by my house all the time. But I've never felt a threat until now.

Don't accuse someone of being an idiot or fool. After all...you're the one on the right.

katethegreat 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm glad to see that there is something in the paper about all the sexual assult going on around town. I live close to downtown and had to press charges against a dude the other day. He sat on my porch looking in my windows and played with himself. When my boyfriend left the house and drove off in the car, the dude walked into my house. He took his shirt off and started walking up my stairs. Thank goodness I was there to stop him from coming up! Unfortunately, I had just woken up and was completely naked while dealing with this guy! I finally got him to leave. But not without him sitting outside my house, looking in my windows, and continuing to touch himself while he waiting for the police.

How come we never hear about these creeps? I can't keep my door unlocked at ANY point now.

mightyquin 9 years, 10 months ago

I dont know where you have been living Kate but it has been a long time since anyone around here felt safe leaving their doors unlocked, especially when they are sleeping. I am glad nothing worse happened to you. Did the cops catch this perv?

donsalsbury 9 years, 10 months ago

Kate, not to diminish the responsibility of the man who invaded your home, but you say you live close to downtown and don't keep your door locked at all times?

I agree, though, that we should hear about these creeps more. The article here reflects an assault that has occurred far too many times without being reported.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 10 months ago

Kate: I'm sorry for what happened to you and glad that something worse did not happen. However, you should not keep your door unlocked anyways. This is not the sleepy little town many people seem to daydream about. There's over 100,000 people living here. Not to mention the hundreds of homeless who lay around downtown. As someone else on this site said, many of the homeless are that way because of addiction or mental defect. Anyway, be safe. Lock your doors. Leave outside lights on at night (they're not just for company).

J Good Good 9 years, 10 months ago

Have you thought of pointing a gun at him when he looks in your window?

italianprincess 9 years, 10 months ago

I always lock my door. Being from Cali I guess you could say that I'm used to doing it anyway.

Kate,

I would have found the biggest thing in the house to throw at him.

Horace 9 years, 10 months ago

Why is the jw trying to make this a racial issue?

"a black male between 6 feet and 6 feet two inches tall, 240 to 260 pounds, with a white T-shirt, 3-inch Afro hairstyle, and a baseball cap"

I wonder what sort of stereotype they're trying to conjure up with that?

Harry_Manback 9 years, 10 months ago

I don't think the LJW was trying to be racist, Horace. When you write a news story, and you have the description of the suspect, you're probably going to print it as the police told it to you. It's too bad this crime was committed, but if i a white person or hispanic committed this crime they would have been described as well.

hurlehey 9 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like Vinnie Taylor, a convicted sex offender who has been back on the streets for a few weeks. The scariest son of b@#t I ever had arrested when I worked at a bar.

yourworstnightmare 9 years, 10 months ago