Archive for Sunday, October 30, 2005

Car chase ends with arrest

October 30, 2005

A 21-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Saturday after a car chase that began in Ottawa and ended in south Lawrence.

The chase ended at 6:22 p.m. when Lawrence police used stop sticks to pop all four tires in the man's vehicle just south of 31st and Louisiana streets, said Lt. Kari Wempe, of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

Witnesses described the man's vehicle as a pickup truck.

Law enforcement officers from Franklin County notified the Douglas County Sheriff's Office at 6:04 p.m. that a chase began earlier in southern Ottawa and entered Douglas County on U.S. Highway 59, Wempe said.

Ottawa Police and Franklin County Sheriff's officers chased the vehicle to the north. In Douglas County, the chase continued onto Wells Overbrook Road and later East 1400 Road, Wempe said. Two times before he was caught, the driver eluded stop sticks - one time by driving into the ditch, Wempe said.

Once the chase ended, officers arrested the man without incident, and he was taken to jail in Franklin County, Wempe said, and alcohol use was suspected.

One Lawrence man said he encountered the chase on U.S. 59. Dameon Reed, 23, was driving to Ottawa to pick up his fiancee, Sherry Daughenbaugh, and he had a 3-year-old child and an 18-month-old child with him.

In a 1995 Mercury Sable, as he drove up a hill near the junction with U.S. Highway 56, Reed said he saw a pickup headed toward him about one car length away in his lane.

"I could see his facial expression. He was so close. I swerved into the grass and ditch," Reed said.

Reed said he was angry that officers chased the man for 20 miles because he believed it made the situation more hazardous. The man would have been arrested later if officers communicated his vehicle type to one another, he said.

"That shouldn't even take place because that is endangering people's lives," he said.

Comments

METALQ2 9 years, 1 month ago

here we go again, fault the law enforcemment. the poor ba------ can't begin to do their job without getting bashed

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

In this situation why not give out tag number and type of vehicle and then roll out the unmarked cars. If at all possible block off an intersection with patrol cars. Hopefully a driver will not be so gone that stopping makes more sense than crashing into vehicles.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 1 month ago

Of course, Mr. Reed would be upset if the officers had stopped chasing the individual and then it turned out that he was wanted for a double murder or something. Heaven forbid we hold the jcka^ that actually RAN accountable...

WendyReed 9 years, 1 month ago

If you would read the comments more carefully, you would see it is his opinion which he has a right to express. Not only was Dameon's life in danger, so were two of his children. Thankfully his third child was not involved. Who knows how many others were at risk during the chase? I am thankfull that my son and my grandchildren are safe and alive. How about putting yourself in the exact situation with your children at risk.

Think about how his son, that was not involved, would have taken the news that his Father, Sister and Brother were injured seriously or worse.  Oh by the way the news would have fallen on the shoulders of a 4 year old.

Think of how completly devastated I would have been to lose my son and my granddaughter and my youngest grandson.

We have already experienced the loss of Dameon's best friend since Jr. High a little over a year ago, he left a wife and a 16 month old daughter.  Dameon is her Godfather, thankfully she didn't loose the closest person to her father..........the one person who will tell her about her father and who knew him better than anyone.

Dameon, you did an excellent job of protecting your family.  I am so proud of you, as always.

Amandak 9 years, 1 month ago

Yet another opportunity to criticize the police and excuse the ignorant behavior of the criminal. Imagine what would happen if police departments across the nation stopped chasing vehicles; you could simply drive away, or refuse to stop, after committing a traffic infraction. You could burglarize a home and simply drive away. You could rape, maim or kill and just drive away! Get with it people!!! I see nothing wrong with the police chase in this case. Police officers are cognizant of the dangers in each specific case, and use their deiscretion accordingly. Yes, people have been killed or injured as a result of a chase, but this is not the fault of the police. It is the fault of the ignorant criminal who put the value of his/her life above all others and chose to ignore the rule of law and run! The Lawrence community makes enough excuses for lawless and ignorant behavior. If we want a safe community, lets stop criticizing the police and, instead, incarcerate the criminal!

listener 9 years, 1 month ago

Wendy how about holding Dameon accountable for putting himself and your grandkids in danger? What exactly are you proud of him for?

adky 9 years, 1 month ago

LPD don't care about public safety. Their priorites are revenue raising, looking cool and reminding the rest of us that they are in charge of "their" streets. You would have thought they had learnt their lessons about chasing cars after the fatality on 31st Street.

AmyR 9 years, 1 month ago

Adky-The LPD did not chase this vehicle acording to the article. The Ottawa Police and Franklin County Sheriff did. Whoever was involved in the chase, it is their job stop criminals and protect the safety of the citizens at the same time. That sounds like a difficult task. I have never worn the shoes of a police officer but will be the last one to critisize them for stopping a potentially dangerous person. I have always had good service the police department. If you can do it better and can contribute better ideas, go be a police officer.

WendyReed 9 years, 1 month ago

listener,

Dameon should be held accountable for what?  He and my grandchildren were on their way to pick up their Mom from school, as she is furthering her education.  All he was doing is driving down the highway past Baldwin Junction on the hills.  He was driving the lawful speed limit in his lane, how exactly did he put himself and his children in danger?  If you have driven to Ottawa on those hills you know there is no way to see any dangerous situations up ahead.

Why do you think they are re-routing the highway?

Studies have proven that highway is one of the most dangerous in Kansas. High chase speed or not, the road is an accident waiting to happen, too many have already died.

I am proud of the man he is.  I am proud of the kind of Father he is.  I am proud of the hard work he does to provide a home for himself, his kids and their Mom.  I am proud of how he managed to keep his cool behind the wheel of his vehicle when approached by the criminal and the following police officers at a high rate of speed in his lane.

I am proud of Dameon....simply because he is my son.

listener 9 years, 1 month ago

Wendy'

I apologize, I misread the article the first time. I thought Dameon was the man being chased by police. I just re-read it and see that he was not. I am sorry for my misunderstanding. I am sure he is a wonderful person. I am sorry again for my initial frustration with you as I thought you were supporting the person who caused the chase to begin with. I am very glad that they were not hurt in this incident.

WendyReed 9 years, 1 month ago

listener,

Thank you so much. I'm glad you know that Dameon was not at fault. Thanks for your support and understanding. I believe you must also be a wonderful person to apologize rather than just do nothing. I respect you greatly.