Archive for Friday, October 28, 2005

Soldier laid to rest

October 28, 2005

— Nothing was going to stand in the way of Tonganoxie residents properly honoring the memory of fallen soldier and resident Lucas Frantz on Thursday.

More than 300 U.S. flags lined the four-mile route to the cemetery, and a crowd estimated at 400 people attended the memorial service for the 22-year-old U.S. Army specialist who was killed Oct. 18 while serving in Iraq.

The crowd also successfully ignored about a dozen protesters who were followers of Topeka minister Fred Phelps. Phelps' followers, with the Westboro Baptist Church, have claimed God is on the side of terrorists.

Community members installed an approximately 10-foot high banner that blocked the view of the memorial site from protesters.

"We completely ignored them," said Larry Meadows, post commander for the Tonganoxie Veterans of Foreign Wars. "As far as I'm concerned, they didn't even show."

About 200 veterans riding motorcycles attended the funeral as counterprotesters, said Tonganoxie Police Chief Kenny Carpenter. Carpenter said he had about 30 law enforcement officers from his police department, the Leavenworth County Sheriff's Department and the Kansas Highway Patrol on site. He said officers did not have to respond to any incidents.

Meadows said he was proud of the community's efforts and thought it was a fitting memorial for the beloved 2002 Tonganoxie High School graduate.

"We felt like as VFW members and as citizens of the community, this was a small thing we could do," Meadows said. "The young man who lost his life gave the big thing."

Comments

trueninetiesgirl 9 years, 1 month ago

may your son rest in peace,and may your family have peace of mind.your son is and will always be a hero....

italianprincess 9 years, 1 month ago

May God keep you in his hands as you morn the loss of a great man.

God Bless you and your family.

craigers 9 years, 1 month ago

I am glad that God is just and we are rewarding for the things we do on this earth. If Phelps even had a clue as to the damage he is doing as a church and as a pastor he wouldn't do the things he does, but then again he is not preaching Christ but condemnation. I must agree with TOB. I don't see how they held themselves back from tearing him apart. May the Lord comfort the whole greiving family. I will lift you up in my prayers.

nascargirl20 9 years, 1 month ago

Your son was a hero and one of the bravest at that. If only we had more heroes instead of cowards this country would be a better place. God bless you and your family.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

Phelps is an idiot and an a**hole, and it's a shame that he couldn't let the family grieve in peace. I'll bet his funeral will find more people celebrating than grieving.

But Phelp's claim that God is on the terrorists' side isn't any more ridiculous than the claim (from Bush on down) that God is on "our" side. I'm not a religious person, but I have a hard time seeing how God would favor one violent group of people over another violent group of people. My guess is that he'd be mighty pi**ed off at the leaders of both groups.

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

It is my prayer that the family knows how many of us grieve with them and mourn the loss of each and every warrior that stands between our country and the factions that would destroy us. They are a special breed and we honor the daily sacrifices they are making. The military personnel that I know have no doubt they are serving the greater good, I defer to their first hand evaluations as they definitely have the most informed perspective.

As for Phelps, there are no words! Chances are he will never have to account to the family and friends of Lucas. However, he will have to account to the God whose name he constantly takes in vain and shames. I'm content to remember that the Word tell us that vengence belongs to the Lord. Phelps will atone for libeling this fine young man and the many others he has tormented over the years.

May Lucas rest in peace.

context 9 years, 1 month ago

To the family of Corporal Lucas Frantz, "the thanks of a grateful nation" doesn't say enough, but please know that we truly do honor your son, we recognize your enormous sacrifice, and we thank your soldier who has gone before us. Know also that for so many of us, when we pause for the raising of Old Glory ... when we recite the Pledge of Allegiance ... and when we join the chorus of the Star Spangled Banner, those hairs standing on the back of our necks and the mist in our eyes come because we will not forget when this young Patriot was taken to join the honored ranks of those who have fallen while standing so tall. We will remember and not take for granted the price you paid -- the price Lucas paid to preserve the ideal we call America. To the community, you have shown a crystal clear image of part of that ideal of America. You should be very proud when you speak of your patriot and the way you honored Cpl Frantz and his family.

Bobo Fleming 9 years, 1 month ago

Not enough generals are dead in this war. Not enough generals are riding in those Humvees at the head of the line or on guard duty with defective vests. Yesterday Fox had Rummy siging a little ditty in Czech. Cute. Rummy is feeling pretty good. Rummy needs to take a ride in those Humvees. The ones with the plywood for protection. I'm for the war. I'm against throwing the kids away one by one. Get the generals to the head of the convoy. See what happens then.

craigers 9 years, 1 month ago

Come on now Arminius and senegal, no war debate on this page today. What you are doing is almost as bad as Phelps. There is a time and a place for a debate, but not on this story.

kansasboy 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm surprised that the guys that do the 21 gun salute didn't aim a little bit lower at Phelp's group.

Christine Anderson 9 years, 1 month ago

To the family of Lucas Frantz:

I think we all see where your son got his character and sense of honor- from his famliy. I am equally proud of your son, your family, and the community of Tonganoxie for showing more honor, love, and respect than that other individual who led the protesters. May Jesus hold all of you in His loving arms.

indythinker 9 years, 1 month ago

How ironic is it that fine young men like Cpl. Frantz get to die for their country and the freedoms that we hold dear so that vermin like Phelps can continue to practice their brand of religion freely. I'll bet Fred didn't think about that....

Fred, shame on you. You should have been holding up signs thanking him for allowing you to continue to spread your obscenities.

princess 9 years, 1 month ago

May you rest in peace Spc. Lucas Allen Frantz.

badger 9 years, 1 month ago

Sometimes, it sickens and appalls me what some people use their freedom of speech for. More often than I'd consider his fair share, that user of said freedom is Fred Phelps. Funny that.

My condolences to the family and heartfelt sympathies. Also, my heartfelt thanks to Spc. Frantz and everyone who has taken up arms, not just in this decade but for the past 250 years. The particular details of the conflict in Iraq aside, this country could not exist as it does without the willingness of its children to give up their lives in its service, and that merits my deepest respect independent of my personal politics. I would hope that we could look beyond partisan bickering to honor the people who didn't make the decisions, just the sacrifices.

Bobo Fleming 9 years, 1 month ago

I am only saying that I am tired of seeing the kids killed one by one while the generals have coffee. Get the brass to the head of the parade and the kids will get some air cover.

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

i have a friend who has been to afghanistan and iraq a number of times. most of the time he spent in afghanistan, though he was flying into baghdad international before the airport was secured.

he told me we need to be over there to help those people. the taliban was executing whole families, some were hung from the street signs (so much for making the dead face Mecca and burying them as to Muslim custom).

he walked passed a group of war protesters downtown. he asked one guy if he was ever in iraq or afghanistan and the guy said, "No." my friend then told the guy all good we were doing for the people over there. the guy turned to him and said, "You're a criminal!"

so much for supporting our troops from the peaceniks of lawrence.

my friend also told me that things are getting much better over there.

no, this soldier did not die in vane but is a hero -regardless of what the local peaceniks and phred phelps says about our soldiers. they need to be lumped in together, regardless of their reasoning. they are both disrespectful to our military.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

Your friend isn't the only one who's been over there, and his opinion is hardly unanimous.

christie 9 years, 1 month ago

LUNACY... no need for any ramblings. not here. not now.

KUNavy 9 years, 1 month ago

OOOAAHH Soldier! A grateful nation, and community, gives its thanks for your sacrifice.

StirrrThePot 9 years, 1 month ago

God Bless this young man and his family. Iwas touched by the story of he and his wife's first date as it was similar to the first data my husband and I had. My heart goes out to them, and all servicemen and women. I pray we get out of this stupid war soon...

The Phelpses are just one reason I will never live in Topeka again. Someday he and his lunatic clan will answer for what they have done, as will all of us.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

"May you rest in peace Spc. Lucas Allen Frantz." - Princess.

Well stated.

Spc. Frantz died supporting this war. This is NOT the place to do anything but honor him, his family, and their eternal sacrifice. Please folks. Not here.

lianne 9 years, 1 month ago

To everyone concerned about the Fred Phelps group..... the reason the family and friends of Lucas didn't do anything about the protesters is that this day is not about THEM! It is about Lucas, and what he means to everyone. It is to honor and respect him. And we aren't about to let ANYONE ruin that. All they want is attention, and I believe they came to the wrong town. To tell you the truth, we couldn't even tell they were at the football game or the VFW Park~ all because our minds and hearts were focused on Lucas. Nothing else, just Lucas. There was so much love and respect shown from so many people towards Lucas' family and friends, it was absolutely beautiful. And all of this was a tribute.... a tribute to a hero. So please don't worry about the Phelps group... because that definately was the last thought on anyones mind during this time. Lucas will always be in all of our hearts and memories, and he will always stand strongly.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

"Here, here! I see no difference between Fred Phelps and Allan Hanson."

That says more about you than about either Phred or Allan Hanson, and what it says isn't the least bit flattering.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

Armpitius:

Your hole is getting mighty deep. Is it time to stop digging yet?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 1 month ago

I'd be willing to go (or is that dig?) virtually anywhere.