Breaking news

Freed: Cheick Diallo finally cleared by NCAA updated 2 hours, 51 minutes ago

Archive for Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Judge approves anti-stalking order against coach

October 26, 2005

A judge on Tuesday approved a Lawrence woman's request for a protection-from-stalking order against Free State High School teacher and boys' basketball coach Jack L. Schreiner.

Schreiner has been charged in municipal court with peeping into the woman's window Oct. 18 at her home. The day after the incident, the woman, 47, received a temporary restraining order in District Court, alleging she had information from police that Schreiner had admitted doing the same thing two other times.

"He did say he had been there more than once," Capt. David Cobb, a Lawrence Police spokesman, told the Journal-World.

During a hearing Tuesday in District Court, Judge Jack Murphy finalized the order. It prevents Schreiner from having any contact with the woman for one year.

Schreiner, 55, did not attend the hearing but was represented by attorney Randy R. McCalla of Olathe, who told the judge Schreiner wouldn't oppose the restraining order but wasn't admitting the allegations.

"He has no reason to contact her, so we're consenting to her request," McCalla said afterward. "Our hope is to have the matter resolved and allow everyone in this case to go on with their lives."

Schreiner has been suspended from his job with pay. Both he and McCalla declined to talk about the facts of the case.

tropregular 10 years, 1 month ago

Where's all the hype now. He has confessed to being there more than once. Your TEACHER has a problem. And as for the teasing and the hurtful things that he has done ,,, some kids snap and take matters into their own hands and bring weapons into the schools and hurt innocent people. How about the women in this case ,, is she not a victim? The paid vacation needs to stop .

scholarku 10 years, 1 month ago

hottruckinmama 10 years, 1 month ago

and this is a prime example of what is teaching our kids. thats pretty damn scary!

webmocker 10 years, 1 month ago

Not a prime example; just one example.

princess 10 years, 1 month ago

While I agree that this guy should not be no longer be teaching, (nor on paid leave) I think that it is far fetched to include this as an example of Lawrence teachers or teachers anywhere for that matter. Sexual deviants are sadly, a statistical occurrence in our society. One is bound to appear in any certain group of people. If this guy was a mechanic, should his behavior reflect on all mechanics? I think not. Stereotyping teachers as perverts just because you are unhappy with their pay raises is wrong. Tisk. Tisk.

princess 10 years, 1 month ago

And by the sound of things, he won't be getting it because he will be looking for another job.

Jeanne Cunningham 10 years, 1 month ago

What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

Does anyone posting here know any of the facts? That is, NOT just the rumors and innuendo?

I don't, so I'll wait to see what actually comes of it before I decide - and, even then, it will not be my place to pass judgement. Last I knew we elect and pay people whose job it is to do that.

And/or a jury of his peers will assist in determination of guilt or innocence.

Until then, I'm glad that I haven't been arrested for something that I didn't do - lest I incur the wrath of all the "righteous".

dotteboy 10 years, 1 month ago

Nice little pay raise? 8% ain't bad but considering teachers didn't get a raise last year it only amounts to 4%. It's pretty sad when a person w/out a college education can earn more than a proffessional with their masters. And, oh loveable land of liberal illumination, what happened to due process? If you got caught peeping, should you be fired from your job?

princess 10 years, 1 month ago

I don't think that this will be going to a jury will it? Does Kansas have any stalker laws?

hottruckinmama 10 years, 1 month ago

dotteboy..yes if i'm in charge of a bunch of damn right i should be fired. and actually in most jobs you would be canned.

Patty Buchholz 10 years, 1 month ago

I don't think that at this point, his teaching abilities are an issue. He, according to the JW, has admitted to being at the same house, peeping more than one time. Mr. Schreiner's actions are not one of those I would want teaching my children or anyone else's. Besides, there will be little respect or concentration in his class for a student if he returns to teaching at Free State. What might window peeping lead to next? The Board should ask for his resigination immediately, that means without pay! Unfortunately for Jack, we all must pay for our mistakes.

jayhawks71 10 years, 1 month ago

Take your kid out of the school system if you expect teachers to 1) be perfect human beings 2) MAKE your kid smart 3) teach ONLY what you want them to learn (e.g., skip evolution) and 4) do all of this for the salary that teachers make.

The gall of your expectations (some of you).

Save the children! Get over it people. Every one of us was a child at one time, including the focus of this story. Maybe saving the children isn't that noble of a deed afterall?

jstevens1979 10 years, 1 month ago

I think the question we all need to be asking ourselves is, where was Richard Simmons during all of this?

buffbonzai 10 years, 1 month ago

I had Mr. Shreiner for history at Freestate back when the school first opened and, personally, I think he's a great teacher. If he was doing stuff like this outside of the classroom, it certainly didn't effect his teaching ability. He is definitely an asset to Freestate as both a teacher and a coach. I wish him the best and hope that this matter will be resolved, not repeated, and that he can go back to work.

BigMommaKP 10 years, 1 month ago

Well, as for the comeback from "webmocker", I will be more than happy to give you a few more examples. I have grown up in the Lawrence Public School System so I feel that I can say this with knowledge to back it up with.

I attended Quail Run Elementary, where Wayne Kruse taught, and correct me if I am wrong, but he was arrested not too long ago for embezzelement??

I also attended Southwest Junior High where yet another teacher was arrested about 5 or so years ago for sleeping with a student.

The school system in Lawrence is lacking in a few departments, although I enjoyed attending all of the schools that I did however I would not want my son to attend.

Furthermore, I was a student of Mr. Schreiner and enjoyed his classes for two years. I thought he taught with a sense of humor which provided for an atmosphere in which to enjoy his classes.

As a personal man, I did not know him nor do I believe (as "buffbonzai" pointed out) that whatever he did in his personal time, whether that be drinking, smoking, or peeping, that it affected his teaching. I'm not saying that I am an advocate of his actions, but as a teacher, I will vouch that he is excellent.

angryyardgnome 10 years, 1 month ago

I had Jack Schreiner when I attended West Junior High over 20 years ago. Back then, I thought he was a jerk and it looks like he is one now. I cannot believe there are those that are saying good things about him. He was caught peeping into someones window and he should be reprimanded for that. I think that it is ridiculous that he is still getting paid for while he is on suspension. That should not surpise me, since Weisman and Schreiner were at West at the same time.

justlooking 10 years, 1 month ago

I agree with happyp. People should have the right to deal with problems in their personal life in a private manner, however, teachers are held to a slightly higher standard than the normal working Joe. They have a tremendous impact on young minds and we all know that children model what they see. Wayne Kruse and Jack Schreiner may have been wonderful teachers (to some people anyway) but they are educators and they both made very, very poor choices. I think it is extremely sad that this has happened to the Schreiner family. I am sure he is done as a teacher and coach - in Lawrence anyway. I hope whatever satisfaction he got out of peeping in her windows made it worth losing his career, respect, friends and possibly his family.

topoftheworldma1955 10 years, 1 month ago

Like angryyardgnome said Randy and Jack Off have been friends for over 20 years. This will probably all be forgiven and he will keep his teaching job. ("Can we keep this between us, I'd hate to lose my teaching job."-Weird Science) He may noy be able to keep his job as Coach but maybe Randy will appoint him to girls locker room attendant. Chalk another one up for the good ol' boys network.

Just'a good ol' boys Never meanin' no harm. Beats all you never saw Been in trouble with the law Since the day they was born

Staightnin' the curves Flatnin the hills Someday the mountain might get 'em But the law never will

Makin' their way The only way they know how That's just a little bit more Than the law will allow.

I'm a good ol' boy You know my momma loves me But she don't undestand They keep a showin my hands and not my face on TV

Heather Leibach 10 years, 1 month ago

I am a former student and cheerleader of Free State High School, and I had Jack Schreiner as a teacher and as friend during my years there. These allegations that he was a "sleazebag" are absolutely absurd; I have never once felt uncomfortable around him, in fact he was one of the few teachers I felt comfortable enough with to confide in. I am now attending college and the academic knowledge, as well as the life lessons that were instilled in my by Mr. Schreiner are invaluable. The fact that he may not be there for future students to learn from him what I did is very upsetting to me. His class was always an enjoyable one. He made learning fun, while giving us hands on experience. Jack Schreiner is an impeccable person, teacher, and coach. To dismiss him would be robbing future students of the wonderful experience that I had with him as a teacher and friend. While I don't condone his actions, everyone makes mistakes. Mr. Schreiner you are one hell of a guy and I wish you the best.

LLCS 10 years, 1 month ago

An impeccable person does not do what he did! It is ironic that you were a cheerleader and did not have a problem with him. That is just the point several have tried to make. You were not subjected to his degrading comments. His arrogance and attitude towards females of all ages is despicable as proven by the crime he is accused of!

calijayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

Innocent until proven guily IS an important thing to remember, here's another:

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Regardless of his guilt or innocence - his ability to teach kids will be overshadowed by this, be a constant distraction (whether a valid one or not) and prevent him from effectively doing his job.

Can't wait to see some of the signs at the LHS/FSHS basketball game this year.