Archive for Monday, October 17, 2005

Sheriff’s Office releases list of 10 ‘Most Wanted’

Have you seen these fugitives?

October 17, 2005

Some got out of jail on bond and failed to show up for a court date.

Some stopped checking in with a probation officer.

Some have been charged with a crime but haven't yet been arrested.

For whatever reason, the 10 people shown above have been identified as the county's "Most Wanted" by the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, as a result of a request from the Lawrence Journal-World.

"It's either because of the nature of the charges, or the fact that we've had the warrant and exhausted our leads," sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Kari Wempe said of why these 10 are on the "Most Wanted" list.

All of them have warrants for their arrest in felony cases. But take heart: None is a Bonnie or Clyde. Many are wanted for nonviolent crimes such as forgery.

"This is a wonderful problem to have, when you stop and think about it. You look at the list of the most wanted, there's not a serial murderer, there's not multiple robberies with dead people in their trail," said Kyle Smith, a Kansas Bureau of Investigation spokesman. "That's a reason to be glad."

Wempe said the public can help bring them to justice by calling 843-TIPS (8477) if they have any information on a fugitive's whereabouts.

There might be something in it for those who help lead authorities to a fugitive. Callers to Crime Stoppers with information that leads to the person's arrest may receive a reward of up to $1,000. Callers may remain anonymous. Crime Stoppers does not subscribe to caller ID.

Crime Stoppers pays

Callers to Crime Stoppers, 843-TIPS (8477) with information that leads to the person's arrest may receive a reward of up to $1,000. Callers may remain anonymous. Crime Stoppers does not subscribe to caller ID.

Comments

lunacydetector 9 years, 3 months ago

surely the picture doesn't do him justice but if aaron johnson were wearing a top hat he would kinda look like a young version of peter boyle -'puttin' on the ritz'

kansasjhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Yeah I also knew Troy J. went to junior high, high school, and ICC (Independence Community College) with him. He ended up in jail for helping with a robbery of a gas station. Looks like he's still up to no good.

ctutgo 9 years, 3 months ago

The Journal World has sunk to an all time low. I know, from experience, that the LJW does not print the truth, but this article is ridiculous! 10 Most Wanted? Did the police dept cave to pressure and just come up with names to satisfy the thirst for sensationalistic blood? I have known Ben Birdcreek, a good man who loves his family, and was a positive influence in my son's life as a baseball coach. To post his picture on the front page with the caption "fugitive" for writing a bad check is shameful. Lawrence, as a whole, should be outraged.

staff04 9 years, 3 months ago

Woman number 2 is a little cutie. I wonder what she'll be doing when she gets out?

tropregular 9 years, 3 months ago

Look in Brandon Woods for birdcreek.. Wonder how he can live in a retirement community ? Why Brandon Woods lets this happen?

coach 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm interested to see the Police Departments top 10. I'd imagine there are some real bad guys on that list.

Skeptic 9 years, 3 months ago

Two of these "most wanted" are for simple drug possesion.

Nice priorities.

Shardwurm 9 years, 3 months ago

Number 11 is some guy wanted for washing his car without a permit.

Number 12 is some female seen tying balloons to a car.

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

If these are the areas 10 most wanted, I feel much safer.

Greg Yother 9 years, 3 months ago

I went to school with Troy Jarret all the way back to grade school. He stole my brand new black and white checkered handle bar pads I tricked out my Huffy with back in 2nd grade (though I noticed this wasn't included in the list of charges; stinkin' statute of limitations).

hurlehey 9 years, 3 months ago

Troy tried to sell me a bag of oregano in 7th grade( he was in 9th)

bthom37 9 years, 3 months ago

Ah, life's little winners strike again!

Notice all the probation violations?

meggers 9 years, 3 months ago

How can Mark T. Backun II be wanted for felony DUI if he has yet to be arrested? Don't they arrest a person when they pull them over and they fail the drunk test?

Also, it isn't so obvious on the web site, but this article in the actual paper today is about as sensationalized as they come. The rather large photos of all ten "most wanted" are prominantly displayed, with the caption 'Have you seen these fugitives?' in bold print right above the photos. At first, I thought there was a major jail break or a prison escape somewhere. I had quite a chuckle when I read the real circumstances surrounding their "fugitive" status.

Somehow, I doubt the ten "fugitives" share my amusement. Especially, considering the article mentioned that while charges have been filed, warrants had yet to be served on some of them. If they didn't know they were "wanted" before, I'll bet they do now!

Charles L Bloss Jr 9 years, 3 months ago

Sure is strange, when I clicked on view thumbnails, I got 10 thumbnails to view, along with their information. Seems ok to me. Thank you, Lynn

meggers 9 years, 3 months ago

I agree with most of your your sentiments, Astro, but I think you might be misplacing the blame here. It sounds like the Journal World requested (or demanded) this information from local law enforcement, so that they could print the article. The Open Records Act allows them to do that, which means that law enforcement probably needed to provide the newspaper with their "priority arrest warrants", even though they probably know these folks aren't really all that significant in the greater scheme of things.

I don't blame it on law enforcement. Instead, I blame it on irresponsible, irrelevant, and sensationalized journalism.

Keep in mind, the JW also sued under the Open Records Act, in order to be able to publish photos of minor children who were testifying aginst their father for the killing of their mother.

I'm 100% for freedom of speech, but I also expect some journalistic integrity.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 3 months ago

Hannibal, is that broil or fry? do you want fries with that order?

astro 9 years, 3 months ago

tropregular 9 years, 3 months ago

You dont know the half of it..about him , bbe careful.

gnLHSLT 9 years, 3 months ago

Troy Jarrett may have made some mistakes in the past - I saw some unfair comments on this message board - which is pretty weak to kick a guy while he's down - but I also feel he should be given credit for being a good guy as well - I grew up with Troy at Central and at LHS and even though we were not close friends, he did always treat me and most everyone with respect and he was a fair guy in his social behavior among his peers. most everyone he grew up with would agree with me.

yeah_right 9 years, 3 months ago

I did not grow up with Troy but have known of him for a while. Do you know how many people he has assaulted that never reported it? I know of a few and I am sure there are more. You say that it is pretty weak to kick a guy while he's down, but that's exactly what Troy has literally done several times. I am glad he's locked up...again.

gnLHSLT 9 years, 3 months ago

People change when we get older - the Troy I knew was a fair guy....I am sure he deserves to be locked away for his past mistakes. That part I am not disputing .... But I did want whoever woudl read these messages to know that Troy has another side of him and from what I can remember he was a good guy.

It's only fair to know a man completely if you must form an opinion.