Archive for Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Chops comeback to get first win of season over Cardinals, 14-12

October 12, 2005


Not only was it the first win of the year for the Chops, but it was also the first game in which they scored points.

The second-and-third grade Chops won their first game of the year with a 14-12 victory over the Cardinals Sunday at Youth Sports Inc.

Chops coach Raymond Berrens said the team couldn't have won without tight end/linebacker Kleytter Bolivar.

"Kley, our tight end, had a great two-point conversion catch and that's the reason we won the game by two points," Berrens said.

Bolivar's two-point conversion wasn't the only factor in the win. The Chops also had a little help from running back Ivan Hollins.

Hollins opened the Chops first drive with a 40-yard touchdown on a reverse play when quarterback Hunter Caughbon faked a draw play and gave the ball to Hollins.

Hollins ran to the outside, barely avoiding the last Cardinals defender - who was the only one left between Hollins and six points.

After the touchdown, Berrens decided to go for a two-point pass instead of a one-point run. But before the Chops could run the play the referees blew the whistle because of an offensive false start.

But the conversion risk paid off when Caughbon tossed a tight spiral to Bolivar in the right side of the end zone.

The Cardinals were able to come back during the second quarter after recovering a Chops fumble. Running back Jaxn Kobza carried the load for the Cardinals offense, picking up chunks of yardage. The Cardinals faced a tough fourth down with 3:30 left in the half, but managed to pick up enough ground for a new set of downs.

Chops Calton Lovelace, left, Justin Lewis, center, and Hunter Caughbon attempt to recover a fumble Sunday at Youth Sports Inc.

Chops Calton Lovelace, left, Justin Lewis, center, and Hunter Caughbon attempt to recover a fumble Sunday at Youth Sports Inc.

Then quarterback J.D. Mullis got the Cardinals on the scoreboard. Mullis faked a handoff to his left, rolled to his right and broke through a hold in the Chops defense for a 35-yard touchdown run.

Kobza tried to get into the end zone for the extra point, but after bouncing off two defenders he was brought down by Chops Triston Star and Darien Coffey at the one-inch line.

The Cardinals continued to put on high pressure at the start of the second half. On the first play of the half Caughbon was hit as he threw a pass and Kobza intercepted the pass and returned the ball to the Chops seven-yard line.

But Cardinals weren't able to take advantage because they fumbled the ball on the next play.

The Cardinals coaches put their defensive players in position to record a sack in the end zone. But the Cardinals got even more than that.

The Chops tried to run a reverse to Hollins, but the ball was fumbled during the transfer. Mullis hopped on the ball in the end zone for a Cardinals touchdown, extending their lead to 12-8.

The Chops needed a fourth-quarter miracle.

And they got it when Boliver picked up a loose football and ran it all the way back for the final touchdown and the Chops first win.

"I told our guys to strip the ball and they did it. My linebacker Bolivar picked it up and ran it back for a touchdown," Berrens said after the two-point victory.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.