Archive for Monday, October 3, 2005

Kruse sentenced for embezzlement

October 3, 2005

The former head of Lawrence's teachers union will not spend time behind bars for embezzling nearly $100,000 in union dues.

A judge this morning denied prosecutors' request to send Wayne A. Kruse to prison for 11 months and instead ordered him to two years' probation.

District Court Judge Jack Murphy criticized the Lawrence Education Assn. as he handed down the sentence, saying he was amazed at how easy it was for Kruse to steal the money.

Kruse pleaded guilty to one count of felony theft and one count of forgery.

Because he has no previous criminal record, the crimes call for probation under Kansas' sentencing guidelines. But a prosecutor sought to put Kruse in prison under a law that allows a stiffer sentence for crimes involving a breach of financial trust.

Kruse spoke briefly at the hearing, saying he felt like Prof. Harold Hill, the scamming traveling salesman in the play "The Music Man." He apologized to teachers, students and the union.

Comments

whatdoiknow 8 years, 6 months ago

It says in the article that the judge criticized the association for not knowing what was going on, but it didn't say that that had anything to do with his determination of Kruse's sentence. In fact, it says that the judge stuck to the sentencing guidelines. Maybe its the law and not the judge that deserves the criticism.

wendt 8 years, 6 months ago

RealityCheck1:

Thank You.

In defense of the LJWorld bloggers, we done better in the past, but you're right.

Like the Chiefs of the second half, we have failed to cover the Terrell Owens of this subject adequately.

realitycheck1 8 years, 6 months ago

Brilliant minds of Lawrence! Once again, enough said.

macon47 8 years, 6 months ago

hey, steal a hundred grand, go to court, take a walk, what a deal,, is this lawrence or what

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

pity - You really aren't that witty although your attempts provided me with a chuckle. You seem like a fairly irritable dude so I will just sit back and enjoy your posts. Pissing contests aren't my thing. Have a fantastic evening.

macon47 8 years, 6 months ago

would you folks like some cheeses with your whines?

pity2bu 8 years, 6 months ago

No Bob I am not with the police or have I ever been associated with such a group, as I would not have any sympathy for your type. Oh, I don't have any policeman or police women in my family so I guess your wrong again. Glad you didn't bet. Mightyquin is feeling his oats today as well I see. Now there's a quote for the day, "go steal candy from some children and them blame them because it was easy to do so." Local Yocal I guess you and I are the only smart ones here today. Oh I forgive you on the typos, as you shouldn't get so irritated.

mightyquin 8 years, 6 months ago

forgive the typos in the previous post, I shouldnt type when I am irritated.

mightyquin 8 years, 6 months ago

pity2bu - your comment that Lawrence is of one mind only shows how ignorant you really are. Why dont you and your buddy LocalYocal go steal candy from some children and them blame them because it was easy to do so. No go ahead and lump in in with the others. They are better company than you.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

It's the school district's fault they got ripped off? Wow. That's some insight. Your a big rhetoric person, aren't you? Don't blame the criminal, blame the victim? I bet your a police officer or related to one. I'd almost bet money on that in fact. Not that all police officers feel that way, just the ones that do say exactly the same thing you posted. "If the victim had of XYZ, then the innocent criminal wouldn't have been able to committ a crime."

NorthLawrenceDude 8 years, 6 months ago

I figured he would get probabtion. But he definately should have to pay back the money. Any teachers out there KNOW if he has? I heard that his mother mortgaged her house in Western Ks to pay his restitution. I wonder if there is any truth to it. In any case, he should pay it back. Gee Wiz.

Also, I sure hope the Lawrence school district has filed with the state to have his teacher's license revoked over this. Good grief, he could teaching in a small town in Ks, and no one would know!!

pity2bu 8 years, 6 months ago

Well nothing you have said BOB makes any sense either. matter a fact why don't you make the trip to Marysville and congratulate him.

And I also lump you into the singular "you." Oh by the way, Lawrence is of one mind and your part of it, although I know you find it hard to accept that fact.

The fact is that Murphy is pointing some of the balme at the school district, rightfully so.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

Ceallach - I dunno. I don't feel good about that post. I fell to the level of insignificance by resorting to name calling. Obviously, the post he/she wrote didn't make sense and I could have just realized that anyone reading it would know. Oh well.

Ceallach 8 years, 6 months ago

I'm with you guys, I can't figure out what the ease of the crime has to do with the punishment. Although I use "guys" in the generic sense, btw, TOB, how did you conclude the LocalYocal is a ma'am?

I guess little children and the elderly are on their own with Big Jack, huh? They are also easy to cheat out of thingss. Anyway . . . . . the article IS disturbingly quiet about restitution.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

"...you complain when you think the police screw up and you complain when the courts let the fine citizens of Lawrence go free with only a slap on the hand." pityfool

Those are mutally exclusive. The intended point you are trying to make doesn't make sense.

Also, nice on lumping all of Lawrence into the singular 'you'. So, pretty much anything else you say is irrelevent due to your assumption that Lawrence is of one mind.

pity2bu 8 years, 6 months ago

This is suppose to be a loving town! Judge Murphy is just doing what all the townfolk want, showing the love and mercy on the citizens of Lawrence.

I can't believe the retoric, you complain when you think the police screw up and you complain when the courts let the fine citizens of Lawrence go free with only a slap on the hand.

I hope that this place becomes another KCMO or Topeka. Where the police decide to start kicking a** and the courts throw away the key. Then we'll see who's being a cry baby. The people of Lawrence need to police themselves instead of worrying about the other person.

Jeff Plinsky 8 years, 6 months ago

My understanding is that he offered to pay restitution when he plead guilty.

If he is working at Wal-Mart, we teachers ought to have our money back in about 173 years.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

Whoa, did this Kruse cat have to pay restitution? Doesn't sound like it.

macon47 8 years, 6 months ago

I BET KRUSE TOOK THE JUDGE OUT FOR DINNER AND DRINKS AFTER COURT. This is an embassment to the legal profession,and once again sends a message to the childredn that it is ok to break the law. And we were all whining about JUDGE MARTIN. this judge needs to get unstuck off STUPID

Gootsie 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey LocalYokal, don't call my homeboys/gals idiots, 'K? They are all brilliant to the point that the obvious is a joke to them.

So there.

John Spencer 8 years, 6 months ago

I don't see any mention of repayment. I certainly hope he has to pay it all back.

mightyquin 8 years, 6 months ago

LocalYocal - So should the union officials be charged because it was easy to rip them off. As far as I know stupidity isnt against the law.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

By the way, as far as I know, this criminal, er wait, felon is still working at Wal-Mart in Marysville, Kansas. Stop in and say hi. Say congrats on staying out of jail. 2 years of probation? My lord.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey Jackass, No kidding? You are freaking brilliant. The point Larry and I are making is that what the heck does ease of a crime justify it? You, ma'am, are an idiot.

LocalYocal 8 years, 6 months ago

You idiots, he was saying that because of their lack of attention, the money was stolen. There should be some sort of checks and balances to prevent this from happening.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 6 months ago

What in goodness name was the judges point? It's easy for me to steal gum at Kwik Mart.

larryville_79 8 years, 6 months ago

The honorable judge Murphy was amazed at how easy it was to steal the money? Blaming the victim Murphy?WTF?