Archive for Monday, October 3, 2005

Kruse sentenced for embezzlement

October 3, 2005

The former head of Lawrence's teachers union will not spend time behind bars for embezzling nearly $100,000 in union dues.

A judge this morning denied prosecutors' request to send Wayne A. Kruse to prison for 11 months and instead ordered him to two years' probation.

District Court Judge Jack Murphy criticized the Lawrence Education Assn. as he handed down the sentence, saying he was amazed at how easy it was for Kruse to steal the money.

Kruse pleaded guilty to one count of felony theft and one count of forgery.

Because he has no previous criminal record, the crimes call for probation under Kansas' sentencing guidelines. But a prosecutor sought to put Kruse in prison under a law that allows a stiffer sentence for crimes involving a breach of financial trust.

Kruse spoke briefly at the hearing, saying he felt like Prof. Harold Hill, the scamming traveling salesman in the play "The Music Man." He apologized to teachers, students and the union.

Comments

LocalYocal 9 years, 2 months ago

You idiots, he was saying that because of their lack of attention, the money was stolen. There should be some sort of checks and balances to prevent this from happening.

mightyquin 9 years, 2 months ago

LocalYocal - So should the union officials be charged because it was easy to rip them off. As far as I know stupidity isnt against the law.

John Spencer 9 years, 2 months ago

I don't see any mention of repayment. I certainly hope he has to pay it all back.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 2 months ago

Hey LocalYokal, don't call my homeboys/gals idiots, 'K? They are all brilliant to the point that the obvious is a joke to them.

So there.

Jeff Plinsky 9 years, 2 months ago

My understanding is that he offered to pay restitution when he plead guilty.

If he is working at Wal-Mart, we teachers ought to have our money back in about 173 years.

pity2bu 9 years, 2 months ago

This is suppose to be a loving town! Judge Murphy is just doing what all the townfolk want, showing the love and mercy on the citizens of Lawrence.

I can't believe the retoric, you complain when you think the police screw up and you complain when the courts let the fine citizens of Lawrence go free with only a slap on the hand.

I hope that this place becomes another KCMO or Topeka. Where the police decide to start kicking a** and the courts throw away the key. Then we'll see who's being a cry baby. The people of Lawrence need to police themselves instead of worrying about the other person.

Ceallach 9 years, 2 months ago

I'm with you guys, I can't figure out what the ease of the crime has to do with the punishment. Although I use "guys" in the generic sense, btw, TOB, how did you conclude the LocalYocal is a ma'am?

I guess little children and the elderly are on their own with Big Jack, huh? They are also easy to cheat out of thingss. Anyway . . . . . the article IS disturbingly quiet about restitution.

pity2bu 9 years, 2 months ago

Well nothing you have said BOB makes any sense either. matter a fact why don't you make the trip to Marysville and congratulate him.

And I also lump you into the singular "you." Oh by the way, Lawrence is of one mind and your part of it, although I know you find it hard to accept that fact.

The fact is that Murphy is pointing some of the balme at the school district, rightfully so.

NorthLawrenceDude 9 years, 2 months ago

I figured he would get probabtion. But he definately should have to pay back the money. Any teachers out there KNOW if he has? I heard that his mother mortgaged her house in Western Ks to pay his restitution. I wonder if there is any truth to it. In any case, he should pay it back. Gee Wiz.

Also, I sure hope the Lawrence school district has filed with the state to have his teacher's license revoked over this. Good grief, he could teaching in a small town in Ks, and no one would know!!

mightyquin 9 years, 2 months ago

pity2bu - your comment that Lawrence is of one mind only shows how ignorant you really are. Why dont you and your buddy LocalYocal go steal candy from some children and them blame them because it was easy to do so. No go ahead and lump in in with the others. They are better company than you.

mightyquin 9 years, 2 months ago

forgive the typos in the previous post, I shouldnt type when I am irritated.

pity2bu 9 years, 2 months ago

No Bob I am not with the police or have I ever been associated with such a group, as I would not have any sympathy for your type. Oh, I don't have any policeman or police women in my family so I guess your wrong again. Glad you didn't bet. Mightyquin is feeling his oats today as well I see. Now there's a quote for the day, "go steal candy from some children and them blame them because it was easy to do so." Local Yocal I guess you and I are the only smart ones here today. Oh I forgive you on the typos, as you shouldn't get so irritated.

realitycheck1 9 years, 2 months ago

Brilliant minds of Lawrence! Once again, enough said.

whatdoiknow 9 years, 2 months ago

It says in the article that the judge criticized the association for not knowing what was going on, but it didn't say that that had anything to do with his determination of Kruse's sentence. In fact, it says that the judge stuck to the sentencing guidelines. Maybe its the law and not the judge that deserves the criticism.