Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, November 27, 2005

People in the news

November 27, 2005

Advertisement

Bono chides Canadian PM for lack of foreign aid

Ottawa - Irish rocker Bono says Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin's inability to increase foreign aid surprises him, especially when he's facing an election in a country that clearly favors more foreign aid.

"I'm mystified, actually, by the man," the U2 lead singer said at a news conference Friday. "I like him very much, personally.

"I just think that it's a huge opportunity that he's missing out on. This is important to the Canadian people. I think the prime minister will find out if he walks away from the opportunity to (boost foreign aid) he will hear about it in the election. I am absolutely sure of that."

Bono said he wants Canada to increase foreign contributions to 0.7 percent of its gross domestic product. That would more than triple the $2.5 billion Canada spends on foreign aid each year.

Speaking in support of the Make Poverty History project, Bono said Canada could easily increase Third World aid because it's the only major industrialized country in a surplus position.

Bono was in Ottawa for a U2 concert but spent the day meeting with politicians.

Argentinian director wins top prize at film festival

Stockholm, Sweden - Argentinian director Juan Solanas won the top prize at the Stockholm International Film Festival for "Nordeste" ("Northeast"), organizers said Saturday.

The film, which explores the underworld of child trafficking, poverty and social injustice, received the 16th annual Bronze Horse award.

Carole Bouquet plays Helene, a rich Parisian woman determined to adopt a baby. She heads to Argentina where she meets Juana, played by Aymara Rovera, a poor woman struggling to make ends meet.

Bouquet and Rovera shared the best actress award for the film.

"Nordeste" competed against 17 other films, including American director Miranda July's "Me and You and Everyone We Know," which won the best first film award, and American Mike Mills' "Thumbsucker," starring Vincent D'Onofrio, winner of the best actor award.

Annie Griffin won best script for "Festival," a black comedy that takes place at the Edinburgh Film Festival, and Taika Waititi's "Sons of Tu: The God of War" took home top honors for best short film.

The festival, which ends today, showcased 160 films from nearly 40 countries.

'Potter' actor says latest movie shouldn't be lighter

Adelaide, Australia - The 16-year-old star of the "Harry Potter" movies said Saturday the latest film in the series should not be toned down to get a rating suitable for young children.

Daniel Radcliffe, who has the title role in the films based on J.K. Rowling's novels, said "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" is at times intense.

"The nature of the book - a 16-year-old kid dies in 'Harry Potter' four - you can't make that light and frothy," he told reporters.

Radcliffe said audiences would have been disappointed if the story had been softened to avoid its rating in Australia of being unsuitable for children younger than 15. The first three were deemed suitable for children with parental guidance.

"Goblet of Fire" is the first Potter film to earn a PG-13 rating in the United States.

"If you are going to do justice to the book, it has to be dark," Radcliffe said.

Chan to Asia: Unite against American movies

New Delhi - Action star Jackie Chan has a message for Asia's film industry: Unite against American movies or risk losing your culture.

Chan has starred in a string of Hollywood blockbusters, including "Rush Hour" and its sequel, and plans to start shooting "Rush Hour 3" soon.

But he told The Times of India that such movies erode the culture of Asian countries, saying "Asians should unite against American cinema."

"Why do we need to ape their culture?" Chan reportedly said. "I see an Indian saying 'Yo Man!' but that's not what Asians are about."

India, like Hong Kong, has its own thriving film industry, known as Bollywood. While American movies are shown in Indian cinemas, Hindi movies dominate the big screens on the subcontinent.

"Cinema reflects culture and there is no harm in adapting technology, but not at the cost of losing your originality," Chan said.

Band, minus Robbie Williams, to reunite for tour

London - Take That, minus Robbie Williams, is reuniting for a tour in Britain and Ireland.

Gary Barlow, Howard Donald, Jason Orange and Mark Owen have scheduled 11 dates beginning April 24 in Newcastle, they announced Friday.

The four bandmates last performed together in London on Aug. 31, 1995, a month after Williams left.

Other dates are Birmingham on April 27-28, Glasgow on April 30, Sheffield on May 2, Manchester on May 5-6, London on May 8-9, Dublin on May 12 and Belfast on May 14.

Take That's hits include "Pray," "Relight My Fire" and "Sure."

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.