Archive for Thursday, November 17, 2005

Group forms to oppose conservative members of State Board of Education

November 17, 2005

— A new political action committee is open for business and aiming to get rid of the six-member majority on the State Board of Education.

The Kansas Alliance for Education, a nonpartisan grassroots organization, announced Wednesday it will promote candidates for the 10-member board "whose beliefs and objectives are more in line with mainstream Kansans."

The group opposes the six-member majority on the board because of the decision to place criticism of evolution in science standards, and the hiring of new Education Commissioner Bob Corkins, who, before his appointment, led a conservative think tank that regularly criticized public schools.

"We believe these actions demonstrate that they are more concerned with promoting their narrow agenda than they are with preparing the children of Kansas to deal with the challenges of the 21st century," group members said.

The six board members have defended their decisions, saying evolution should be open to criticism, and Corkins was the best candidate to further changes in the public school system.

Four of the six-member majority are up for re-election next year: Connie Morris of St. Francis; Ken Willard, of Hutchinson; Kathy Martin, of Clay Center; and John Bacon, of Olathe. All are Republican.

The Kansas Alliance for Education will be led by Don Hineman, a lifelong Republican and rancher and farmer from Dighton. The group's Web site is www.ksalliance.org.

Comments

John1945 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh look yet another Democrat stalking horse masquerading as a "nonpartisan grassroots organization". This is just like when KFUPE and Meneilly's group of far left extremists started up. They all claim to be "nonpartisan grassroots organization". Whenever you see that phrase two things should enter your mind. 1. Stupid reporter. 2. Far left Stalinist nut group.

John1945 9 years, 1 month ago

Let's see, how many SBOE articles have we had this week? How many of these hatchet jobs are being published every day? Boy oh boy, aren't we glad there's an honest, objective press corps to provide us with fair and unbiased news? And of course I dare not call this a lynching lest it be pulled off the forum.

Flog that dead horse, baby. Maybe we can get just a little more mileage out of him yet.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

KFUPE/Kansas Families United for Public Education is multi-partisan in nature. It's members and board are comprised of republicans,democrats and Green Party.

The organization endorsed democrats and republicans in past election cycles.

fossilhunter 9 years, 1 month ago

Come on John, even you were questioning some of the book-banning comments by Abrams. No matter how you feel about evolution/ID, these guys are bad for the Kansas public ed system -- vouchers, censorship.....I'm a lifelong Republican and can't believe how far off the right side of the map these guys are.

avhjmlk 9 years, 1 month ago

Besides, John, the leader of the group is a lifelong Republican from rural Kansas. How can you call the group a "far left Stalinist nut group"?

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

KFUPE/Kansas Families United for Public Education and

http://www.saveourpublicschools.com are brother and sister as well as multi partisan.

John1945 9 years, 1 month ago

I don't recall questioning any of Abrams comments, and I've been touting the classkc.org website forever, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

As far as this guys "Republican" credentials, we've seen this all before. In a state where the establishment has always been Republican people who want to be elected, get contracts, get something done, sign on as Republicans regardless their own views.

The same thing happens in Wyandotte County where you have to be a Democrat. There are guys there who are as far to the right as anyone you'll see on here who are registered Democrats. if they want to do business in the county with the county, that's what you do.

When old Bob Meneilly started his group in Johnson County he went around telling everyone he was a registered Republican outraged by the take over of his party by the religious right and the media helped him convey that crap even though they knew who and what he really was. Same thing with KFUPE. Are there registered "Republicans" in the group? Sure, but they're either phonys, or incredibly stupid. Today, even the most biased reporter couldn't keep a straight face trying to call Meneilly's bunch "nonpartisan."

I have great respect for people who stand up in Kansas and say "I'm a Democrat and I don't agree with what happened on the school board and I'm going to oppose these folks and do what I can to put them off." That's democracy and that's the way people of intgrity operate.

But I'm sick of seeing these deceitful "non/multi-partisan" groups stand there and misrepresent themselves and I'm even sicker of the reporters who facilitate such deceit.

No matter who's in power, you should always be honest about who and what you are and work openly and above board to facilitate what you believe in.

John1945 9 years, 1 month ago

And thank you Merrill for pointing out the incestuous relationship between KFUPE (doesn't that just roll off the tongue? KaaaFuuuPeeee.) and save our public schools. They're both lefty groups no matter what they hold themselves out to be. And if you're looking for left-wing stealth groups, you'll be right at home in them.

I just really have contempt for people who misrepresent who they are.

John1945 9 years, 1 month ago

A little history.

Whenever I pick on liberals, inevitably someone sends me the dictionary definition of what liberalism is.

Well folks, the original liberal was Herbert Spencer the social Darwinist (a misnomer, since Darwin referred to himself as a "biological Spencerist") and if you want to see what liberalism was by those who created the term, read Spencer's wonderful book The Study of Sociology.

Since then the term has been hijacked by people whose beliefs are exactly the oposite of what Spencer believed, and when they had turned that term into a term of derision, they became "moderates" a term that now encompasses everyone from renegade "Republicans" to Maoists and is completely useless analytically.

I must admit, I'm slowly becoming a liberal in the Spencerian use of the term. I just got the Study of Sociology out again and I think I'll plough through it.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

John 1945,

In the event you and others are not clear as to my position regarding the "dangerous six" on the school board. Party affiliation is irrelevant and I do intend to campaign against the "dangerous six" in whatever manner possible.

Corkins makes it the "dangerous seven" and should resign due to lack of credentials and mismanagement of funds.

John1945 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm exactly clear as to what you intend to do, you're right, party affiliation doesn't mean anything, and I appreciate your honesty and forthright statement of your beliefs.

BOE 9 years, 1 month ago

Here's a good practice for all of us to adopt.

"If I had known back then in February 2003 what we know now I would not have counseled war against Iraq."

• William F Buckley, July 2004

John1945 9 years, 1 month ago

Practice what? Second guessing yourself into inaction?

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

This reporter conveniently failed to name the people who organized this new PAC. Seems to me that would have been an important part of the story. Of course, the names of the dangerous six were reported, just in case anyone might need a reminder.

Note that whoever wrote this little gem didn't even want a by-line for it. Embarrassed, are we?

BOE 9 years, 1 month ago

" Practice what?

A little objectivism.

===

" Second guessing yourself into inaction? "

I think your question is misdirected.

- ///

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."

• G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority. I am truly not that concerned about him."

• G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

OHhhhh. Now I get it. They put the link to the group's website so you'd have to go there to find out the "who" of the story, and also get the full poop about their disgust with Corkins, the BOE, and the science standards, etc.

I distrust any group that organizes itself to denounce a newly hired public employee for being incompetent when he hasn't even had a chance to do the job yet. Same goes for the Governor doing that. Really, really bad form.

Pure politics, plain and simple.

And, Merrill, Corkins' mismanagement of funds? Get real. Managers and planners for the City of Lawrence spend thousands and thousands of dollars on consultants every year. By your logic, we should fire them, too, because they had to seek outside advice.

Hey, that's not a bad idea!

John1945 9 years, 1 month ago

Isn't objectivism the philosophy of Ayn Rand?

I personally think we need to get social Darwinism into the social science standards. Hopefully the Magnificent Seven will continue on the path of teaching our children to be good, open-minded crap dectectors.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

It is likely the city would not hire an unqualified person at maximum salary and then allow that person to bring in someone to teach the job. Not to mention hiring an outside PR firm whom I suspect thinks as Corkins does. The state has PR staff at his disposal.

Godot you are talking apples and hamburgers on this point.

John1945 9 years, 1 month ago

No, Kodiac, what I think you smell is fruitcake.

Merrill is attempting to make the ludicrous argument that no government waste exists. That no incompetent has ever worked in government or education or needlessly hired an outside consulting firm, specifically an outside consulting firm that shared their ideas.

I for one would be shocked to discover anthing like that had happened, given how frugally and efficiently our government works.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

Frankly I feel the KSBOE should be disolved and turn over the situation to a governor appointed Sec. Of Education.

John1945 9 years, 1 month ago

Yes, democracy is such a frightening thing to those of you who know so much more than us peons.

Fear not after the billions of dollars of free hatchet work the Kansas press will do for your candidates you should be in better shape next time out.

Mr_Christopher 9 years, 1 month ago

Obviously Kansas is under assault from the Discovery Institute are their Christian extreemist apologists. You are up against a formidable foe - they are dishonest, sneaky and underhanded.

If you are not already aware of their methods you might find these links handy:

More on the Discovery Instutute: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discover...

The "Wedge" strategy used by ID proponents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge_st...

"Teach The Controversy" used by ID proponents http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teach_th...

(It would be cool if Kansas taught about the ID controvery itself!)

Intelligent Design: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellig...

Also, here you will find all the details including full transcipts from the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial: http://www2.ncseweb.org/wp/

I'll leave you with these words from a Founding Father:

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. But it is injurious, and unneighborly, when zealots try to compel public education to infuse theism into scientific education." - Thomas Jefferson

BOE 9 years, 1 month ago

Arminius:

" Even Bill Buckley errs from time to time. "

You leave me no choice here, but to agree. Maybe both our clocks stopped. ;)

But even when (imo) he errs, I still have respect for the viewpoint (fan of the old PBS "Firing Line" here) like I do for several paleocon icons. Not so much, the neos.

another favorite paleo quote

"A tax cut that adds to the deficit today is just a tax hike on future taxpayers."

-- Milton Friedman

====

John1945:

" Isn't objectivism the philosophy of Ayn Rand? " -

Not a fan myself and anyways, I think her biggest fan base is in the conservative/libertarian camps. I remember reading that Greenspan was, (at least at one time) a big fan of hers.

I think Ayn had her own brand of Objectivism, but she no more has complete ownership of the term itself, than Martin Luther does Protestantism.

"Reason is the Devil's greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is a noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil's appointed whore; whore eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her wisdom ... Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be drowned in baptism... She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets." " Reason should be destroyed in all Christians. "

• Martin Luther

kansasmorons 9 years ago

Yahoo!!! It's about time, now I can get back to my web site www.kansasmorons.com