Archive for Friday, November 4, 2005

Eudora officials announce drug-related arrest

November 4, 2005

— Police here have siezed an AK-47 assault rifle, a sawed-off shotgun and methamphetamine and marijuana from a home in the city and have arrested a 22-year-old man on suspicion of drug dealing and criminal possession of a firearm.

They announced the arrest in a press conference this afternoon and displayed an array of items, including a handbook on how to roll a joint, at least five smoking pipes, a bullet-proof vest and cash, zip-lock baggies and scales siezed from the home.

Prosecutors are considering possible charges against the man, who was arrested Thursday night and booked into the Douglas County Jail.

Eudora Police Chief Greg Dahlem said that officers had been investigating the man for about four weeks after they had received a tip from the community about suspicious activity.

Douglas County's drug-sniffing canine unit participated in serving the search warrant on Thursday evening at the man's home, officers said.

For more on this story, see the 6News reports at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Sunflower Broadband's channel 6 and pick up a copy of Saturday's Journal-World.

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 11 months ago

When I see meth dealers using and selling marijuana, I wonder if it makes sense for us to hand out "citations" for possession of weed? I mean... why should we act as if marijuana is not a hard core drug if hard core users are attracted to it? I think society is becoming too permissive regarding our views on marijuana. This heavily armed meth dealer is also dealing weed. I think we should stop acting like marijuana is just a homemade cig with a little punch to it. It's not like weed is a can of Red Bull. It's a very real drug, strong enough to be enjoyed by someone who uses "serious" drugs. It IS powerful, even if it is commonplace. I think that we think that since it's the drug that nearly all of our parents at least tried at one time or another... it's not that big a deal. I think that if you look around, there are very few long-term users of marijuana that live normal lives. I think you'll notice that they tend to live as those with addictive personalities live. By that I mean that even if they aren't in jail or constantly drooling, they still suffer from the physical or emotional/spiritual consequenses of long-term using.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 11 months ago

Legalize marijuana, and meth dealers won't be selling it.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 11 months ago

Good Dog! was that our new canine officer on four paws?
what's it smell like if you've got a meth-house in the neighborhood? any suggestions?

Thanks Oldenufn..

Richard Heckler 8 years, 11 months ago

A very distinct odor. Go to google or call the KBI. KBI will be glad to inform you as to the odor. If you have sensitive eyes methlabs it can produce a burning sensation. Methlabs can explode and or be the cause of house fires.

Call KBI for further details.

If pot were decriminalized of legalized it clears the dockets so other serious cases could be heard in a more resonable time. Otherwise so much time elapses that investigating officers forget details about cases that are truly criminal in nature...rape,spouses being beaten,shootings etc etc.

Glen Moore 8 years, 11 months ago

Addictive personality lives???? OK, now that this can of worms is open. We sell cigarettes, coffee, pop, and beer like it was water. I know several people who have a worse addiction to cigarettes then most people have to marijuana. How do you judge addiction? Sunday Night football? Nascar? Coffee in the morning? or just needing to forget about your Boss and all your headachs and smoking a "homemade cig." As a happy to be clean reformed drug addict I know the life and how low you can go. I live a good life as a father of 3 and have a stable community life ( I might even be your neighabor ) Meth .... Yep its a terrible thing and its years and memories one can't take back or forget. Pot ..... Ok I guess you can judge it just beacuse one meth addict uses it .... but I bet he or she drinks pop or smokes ciggeretts or beer, dose that make them bad too? if so why do we sell them. Theres more prominate high socity people smoking Marijuana then you could imagine. Drooling??? I dont know a whole lot of smokers that drool, but ok. I wouldn't want a dealer living next to me at all, and thats speaking from experiance, SO Good job to the police for getting another looser off the streets. But all the "huff and puff" over this whole Marijuana controversy is just an opinion which your intitled, but "addictive personalities live" is a very STRONGE word ment for so many personalities. I mean after all beer isn't a can of "Red Bull" either, and you left that out of your speach. Yes I am clean for 5 years now.... its amazing what kids will do to ya. To all have a good "addictive personalities live."

Glen Moore 8 years, 11 months ago

~~"I think you'll notice that they tend to live as those with addictive personalities live. By that I mean that even if they aren't in jail or constantly drooling, they still suffer from the physical or emotional/spiritual consequenses of long-term using."~~ I take it you have had a lot of experience with this in your life? Long term use of anything can be Bad. (Except the love of God)