Salvation Army asks for extension
Lawrence City Commission Agenda highlights ¢ 6:35 p.m. Tuesday ¢ City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets ¢ Sunflower Broadband Channel 25 ¢ Meeting documents online at www.lawrenceks.org
Leaders of the Salvation Army are asking for a one-year extension of their previously approved site plan for their homeless shelter and community center that is planned for west of Haskell Avenue between Lynn and Homewood streets. Salvation Army officials said they need the site plan extension to give the group more time to raise money before construction begins.
Planning staff members are recommending approval the one-year extension request. But members of the committee working on the Burroughs Creek Corridor Plan believe the site plan extension should only be for six months. The group also is recommending that no additional extensions be granted for the project. Salvation Army leaders have said they need the full year to raise additional funds. If the site plan expires, the project would have to receive new approval from the City Commission.
- proclaim May 18 as National Employee Health and Fitness Day.
- proclaim May 27 as Rachel Carson Day.
- approve City Commission minutes.
- receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
- approve all claims
- approve drinking establishment license for Scarlet Orchid Restaurant & Bar, 2223 La., and retail liquor license for Neighborhood Liquor, 1906 Mass.
- bid and purchase items
a.) set bid date of May 31 for phase III of overlay and concrete repair program.
b.) award phase I overlay program to LRM Industries for $739,903.58
c.) approve purchase of property interest from Alfred and Fleda Yost, 601 Ind., for sanitary sewer project for $18,730.
d. approve sale of surplus vehicles on eBay.
- adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading: a.) rezoning of 12.55 acres from PRD-2 Planned Residential District to PRD-2 with a maximum density cap of 13.7 dwelling units per acre at 24th Place between Crossgate Drive and Inverness Drive.
b.) ordinance allowing possession and consumption of alcoholic liquor on certain specified public property.
- adopt the following resolutions:
¢ for special warranty deed for Lawrence Paper Co.
¢ authorizing the issuance of bonds in the amount of $700,000 for the summer overlay and curb repair program.
- approve request to rezone .19 acres from C-5 Commercial to PCD-2 Planned Commercial Development at 3400 and 3434 South Iowa Street.
- accept final plat for Wal-Mart Addition No. 3 at 3400 and 3434 South Iowa Street.
- approve use permitted upon review for a private club at Brandon Woods Retirement Center, 1501 Inverness Drive.
- authorize distribution of request for proposals to develop Vision for a Future Transportation plan.
- authorize distribution of request for proposals to update the city’s regional travel demand model.
- request that Historic Resources Commission review the possibility of designating Old Fire Station No. 2, 1839 Mass., as a local/state/national landmark.
- approve write-offs as recommended by the finance department.
- authorize mayor to sign a release of mortgage for Shane and Leslie Sharp, 3701 W. 24th St.
- receive recommendation from sign code board of appeals for ordinance change.
- approve as signs of community interest for the city’s garden tour on June 4-5.
- city manager’s report
- consider approval of site plan extension for Salvation Army Community Center west of Haskell Avenue between Lynn and Homewood streets.
- receive staff report concerning pesticide-free parks.