Archive for Friday, July 8, 2005

Police setting up check lanes

July 8, 2005

If you're out driving late tonight in Lawrence, you might end up in a police check lane.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Dan Ward said officers will set up driver's license check lanes tonight at various locations in the city.

The check lanes will be in place between 11 tonight and 2 a.m. Saturday, Ward said.

Comments

jt 8 years, 9 months ago

pity2bu, them midnight checkpoints are an invasion of privacy, just like the Patriot Act! So if you you want to keep your head shoved way up your ass like it seems to be, judging by the content of your post, well, that's fine with me.

Be a loser all of your life! Whatever!

pity2bu 8 years, 9 months ago

I was one of the lucky ones tonight, I had the pleasure of driving through the check lane on my way home from work. I must say I admire those Officers for a job well done. Busting their A** to save yours is a good way to put it. Who was it that was trying to associate a check lane with the Patriot Act.

One says....You need to learn to read as well as learn to comprehend what you read. It was once said if you don't like it, LEAVE.

By the way, we need some good people in Iraq or Afganistan to root out all evil. Oh scratch that, they are looking for people who want to make this a better place and not a bunch of cry baby snot nosed Liberals from Lawrence. CHECK POINT THAT!!!!!!!!!!

larryville 8 years, 9 months ago

Yeah! That's right, jayhawk! Now go tell that to jd!! He thinks it's perfectly fine for the Gestapo......errrrr......I mean the Lawrence Police Dept. to stop your car in traffic late at night simply because you happen to be that "every third or fourth car" that has passed through their checkpoint!

jayhawks71 8 years, 9 months ago

Or it goes to show you that people don't care about their freedom anymore. Sure its been upheld by the courts. So has taking private property using eminent domain to give property to another private entity.

Stop people for doing something illegal, not just to peek at what they are doing in their car.

Wake up America! Your government is "protecting" your freedoms by systematically eliminating and stomping all over them.

Curtis Lange 8 years, 9 months ago

Goes to show people in this city complain about everything...

larryville 8 years, 9 months ago

I don't care how long it's been around......it still sounds like something out of the Patriot Act to me!

hurlehey 8 years, 9 months ago

Doesn't the paper usually tell us where the checkpoints will be?

jt 8 years, 9 months ago

paulsilkiner 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey, we live in such a progressive, "LIBERAL" town lets have check lane for cars with bumper stickers on them. The police could ticket these people for visual pollution. Remember second hand bumper sticker observation is the leading cause of near sightedness and our city comissioners have a duty to protect the masses from them selves! Currently two of my children wear corrective glasses from trying to read bumper stickers from the back seat.....these children are our future, if they can not see ....how will they guide the future?

jd 8 years, 9 months ago

This has been going on far longer than the Patriot Act has been around - and it's been supported by the courts. So quit your bitchin' and be glad the police are doing something to stop drunk drivers.

larryville 8 years, 9 months ago

Driver's license check lanes?? You mean they're going to be stopping cars just to check driver's licenses?? (And yeah, I know, to see who's drunk and who isn't.)

You know something? This sort of thing sounds like something out of that fascist Patriot Act to me! Oh, well! One more tiny piece of freedom flushed down the drain, I guess. SIGH