Archive for Wednesday, July 6, 2005

Lawrence parents keep close eye on legal battle

July 6, 2005

Reader poll
Do you think the Kansas Supreme Court should shut down schools to force the Kansas Legislature to provide more funding for schools?

or See the results without voting

With talk among state officials about the possibility of schools not reopening in August, Lawrence parents are keeping a close eye on the school funding battle being waged in Topeka.

"I think there are a lot of parents around who I've talked to, who are deeply concerned with the funding issue right now," parent Richard Wenzel said Tuesday.

Other parents randomly interviewed were watching events unfold in the Capitol with emotions ranging from horror to nonchalance.

"I just feel like it is being mismanaged," Sheri Moore, a mother of four, said. "I'm frustrated with it and I think a lot of other people are, too."

But others said they remained convinced a solution would be found to the school finance standoff between the Legislature and Kansas Supreme Court that will allow schools to reopen for fall.

"I think it would be very farfetched that (the Supreme Court) would close the schools," Jennifer Martelo said. "I think (legislators) will come up with a solution. Whether we like it or not remains to be seen. But I think they will come up with a solution. It's their job."

In an order released Saturday afternoon, the court threatened to suspend operation of the state's schools unless the Legislature comes up with a way to increase funding by $143 million. A hearing has been set for 9 a.m. Friday, during which lawmakers will have to convince the court to keep schools open.

The special legislative session reconvenes today after a three-day break.

Moore, who recently decided to home-school her 6-year-old son, said she'd been watching events in Topeka unfold with a sigh of relief.

She got out of the public schools just in time.

"We were already leaning that way but it just solidified that we were making a good choice," she said about the decision to remove her son from public schools. "We can make decisions as a family faster than politicians can."

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 9 months ago

Parents should stick with the courts. Like the Walton Family(Wal-Mart) there are too many elected officials such as Phil Kline who seem hell bent on the destruction of public schools. Many many parents need to do some serious research as well as keep a close eye on this matter. Is the media watching?

Stephen Roberts 9 years, 9 months ago

I think the courts have gone a little to far. Mandating more money for school sounds good in theory but there are great implications. Having an amount to fund could be over stepping their judical bounds.

Personally I think there should be some school district consolodation but most school districts do not wish to combine.

First of all, if the state is supposed to pay more to schools, were are they supposed to get the money? More taxes? A higher sales tax? Freeze any one who make more than the governor in the state government's salary for three years.

I normally do not like to see more state or federal oversight but I think there should be more regulation on school districts.

I personally think our teachers, the one is in the classroom teaching our kids, should be paid more. I think any district employee who make more than 70,000 should have their salary frozen for two years. I wonder how many of them would quit.

I think the state should eliminate a majority of the fees the school districts charge. I personally think it is funny how their is a book fee, bus fee and technology fee. I do not have a problem with an activity fee and paying for sports.

I would like to see all of the Superintendents in Kansas go before the education committee and explain why they need more funding. After each one speaks, then they have to explain their salary and other benefits they receive from their district. Then explain what their teachers are paid. I wonder how many people in the legislature would be be supportive of people who make more than them.

I bet none of the superintendents would be willing to reduce their pay to prove their dedication to children in their district. In the past years, I bet their salaries have gone up more han teachers.

John1945 9 years, 9 months ago

If you want a quality education, get your kids out of these government child abuse centers. Take a look at classkc.org and see the kind of filth they're being given as "homework".

30 years ago giving a child trash like that would have gotten you arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, now these corrupt liberal judges demand even more ransom for these educrat monsters.

It's time to stand up to our liberal oppressors and tell these tyrants to go to hell.

Three cheers for Phill Kline. Power to the people Down with the Totalitarian 6.

davey 9 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps we should make school administrators a voluntary position. One with absolutelty no pay. I bet John 1945 would take a postion to lead Lawrence High School. Schools, just the same as businesses, are only as good as the people who lead them.

linux_chick 9 years, 9 months ago

John1945, not all literature is about tea. There's nothing wrong with these books.

linux_chick 9 years, 9 months ago

I want to know how to get Doug Mays out. His attempts to amend laws into the State Constitution so that he won't have to deal with the Kansas Supreme Court are like puking on our political process.

Of course, I'm being too harsh... We don't need the system of checks and balances in Kansas. Because we have Doug Mays... and Doug Mays is always right. In Doug we trust.

Liberty 9 years, 9 months ago

It is entertaining when the totally brainwashed trusting big government people get a wake up call that communist style government funded public schools are not good for your children. They only learn what the government wants you to know, and omit the true history of a Constitutionally limited Republic and the origin of your freedoms: God. Enjoy your national ID card and chip that is coming!

linux_chick 9 years, 9 months ago

I know... we're communist because we believe every child has the right to be educated in a manner that will help him succeed later in life and feed his family.

I've checked out your links that you've posted before, Liberty. Do you actually wish the South would have won the Civil War?

No offense to any Southern Belles/Beaus in this board, but if you do... you're going to have to justify slavery for me before I respond to you any more.

BTW-That last bit isn't intended to sound like a threat or anything. I don't think you're living in dire wait to see what I say to you next. It's just that your position is so radical that it's going to take some fleshing out before I feel like I can say anything to you.

lunacydetector 9 years, 9 months ago

when will enough be enough? the schools take the majority of our taxes! if the schools took ALL of our money, don't you think they'd still be b*tching about how they still don't have enough? you better believe it. bring in more casinos to ruin the good things that have happened on the reservations.....and let the government run the business so it can fund our schools. what happened to the lotto money funding our schools - it wasn't enough on top of our property taxes? gov't run casinos will be a sure fire success! on a small scale, look at the eagle bend golf course. that thing NEVER makes money. why? because it is run by our local government.

audvisartist 9 years, 9 months ago

linux_chick: Not communist because you" believe every child has the right to be educated in a manner that will help him succeed later in life and feed his family..." Communist because you use Linux! ;) Don't you know every good capitalist should use Microsoft products? :>

linux_chick 9 years, 9 months ago

IP, yep. Last May this happened. What is wrong with our legislative session?

I can certainly understand the growing appeal to home school, or shifting to private... but that won't work for everyone in KS. Additionally, I find private schools less desirable on account of my disappointment of schools' racial (re-)segregating.

But in the end, do what you have to do for your kids.

linux_chick 9 years, 9 months ago

aud... maybe Microsoft should develop a good web-browser, then. ;)

Everyone switch to Firefox for free and say goodbye to Businesses sucking away the processor speed you paid for to install and run monitoring software on your PC (aka Spyware) because of well-documented and rampant IE security holes.

linux_chick 9 years, 9 months ago

sorry, for the confusing IP post. I thought she was on this board because she was discussing the school finance issue.

Oops.

Baille 9 years, 9 months ago

The Supreme Court acted responsibly and according to their duties. Too bad we can not say the same for our legislators. I know that Tom Sloan has acted honorably and has conformed his rhetoric and condict to the constitution. Can't say the same for Pine because he has not responded to my query.

I know how and for whom I will vote next go around, though.

Liberty 9 years, 9 months ago

Linux,

I do not support slavery from the south or north or anywhere but rather freedom for all under God. You should read my statements more carefully in context but I understand that they are not available when just reading past statements. The North and South fought about States rights and economic conditions. It was a war of Federal aggression against the States. Slavery was a tool of war used by President Lincoln to help the Federal war effort because they were loosing.

I am glad that slavery was temporarily stopped (as you are not really free today), but it would have been better if the cause of the South had prevailed to bring the Federal government under control. The South was except for the evil of slavery, in the right. They have the right of succession just like anyone has the right of divorce with a non performing party. The Confederacy planned to stop slavery also... The result of the Federal war of aggression win is still troubling us today. That is when all 50 states were overthrown and run under the gold fringe flag that you see today. (Warpowers) We have been in a constant state of emergency since the "civil war". This allows the Federal government and State governments under the reconstruction acts to remain in power (illegally) indefinitely, always being at war with something...war on terror, war on drugs etc... This emergency is renewed by Congress every other year.

What we need is a time of peace to reel this Federal government back in and not allow them to abuse the Constitution any more with the warpowers clause.

jecagirl 9 years, 9 months ago

What I would like to know is how other cities don't have school fees but we do? What has happened here? From what I understand, the only reason they approved lottery in this state was because the money they made from it was to go to school funding. I don't blame the courts for what they did. Not that I want to pay more in taxes but if other cities can do it, then we should be able to.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 9 months ago

Lets pay the teachers and adminastators for the 9 months they actually work out of the year and then if they have training or extra duties in the summer pay them hourly. Seems like to me that would save a lot of money. I don't know of any other profession that gets a three month paid vacation.

Liberty 9 years, 9 months ago

Linux,

The 'concept' of public schools that are government funded, is a plank of the Communist form of government.

We have most all of the planks of Communism in place and operating in this country today. This is ever since the false bankruptcy of the United States in 1933 when our government was ordered by the IMF to operate our country like a democracy instead of a limited Republic. They also set up the Sec. of Treasury as the communist liason to the IMF.

On a different note, I like Linux OS, it just needs to be more user friendly, not just for programmers in C but also for the layman. It is making strides that way, but has more to go before it will really compete with MS. They need to make it easy to share files, drives, printers etc... Firefox needs to have all plugins available to download at the same location for ease of installation and better functionality. (At least last time I checked).

Richard Heckler 9 years, 9 months ago

The courts actions are within their jurisdiction. They responded to a lawsuit. The number of dollars was ascertained from a consultants study that the legislature requested and paid for then ignored.

Homeschooling requires a fair amount of time. However once organized then things can run quite smoothly. There are support groups around. Lawrence school district is friendly to homeschoolers as is KU. The art center is well endowed as well. Considering all of the above Lawrence is an excellent resource. Homeschooling is fun but not a piece of cake.

We were able to take off when there was a notion. Packed up the school material, lots of food and scheduled in a variety of educational stops along the way. Hands on museums, zoo's, places read about in history books, Celestial Tea factory, Tofu factory,Crayola factory, Rocky Mountains, Louisville Slugger factory, Toy Museums,Peace Rallies, Symphonies,Blue Grass Festivals, puppet shows, Sesame Street Live, Busch Gardens, lots of history in and around the Outer Banks, visit Frank LLoyd Wright homes in Chicago and around Deep Creek, Maryland such as Falling Water. Pennsylvania has a ton of historical places as does New Mexico. Florida swampland can be exciting. The Northwest can be fascinating with their rainforest parks. Don't forget Kansas.

Generally speaking anywhere you go there is something to learn. Always take food and drink.

Baille 9 years, 9 months ago

Tell-it-like-it-is:

They don't get paid for three months vacation. They are on salary. They get paid for what they do period. Whether you characterize it as X amount of dollars for 9 months paid over 12 months, or x amount of dollars per year makes no difference. If you reduce current pay proportionally as you seem to suggest how many teachers do you think we will have? Bad plan. If you want to tell it like it is, you first need to know how it is.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 9 months ago

Teachers work at home after hours, need to attend parent teacher conferences, discipline the children, occasionally take crap from parents, update themselves.... I believe teachers spend a great deal more hours working than some know. Some even buy supplies from their own pockets.