Archive for Monday, July 4, 2005

Oh, say can you see … fireworks?

Lawrence, Balwin, Eudora plan public displays

July 4, 2005

Looking for fireworks? Several municipalities will host large public displays tonight:

¢ The Lawrence display will start about 9:45 p.m. Organizers said the best site to view the display would be Burcham Park, 200 Ind., though the Kansas River Bridge and levee would provide good views as well. Festivities at Burcham Park will begin at 6 p.m., including live music from The Prairie Acre Band and the Ready Brothers Band. Can you shoot off your own? The City of Lawrence has a ban on residents firing almost all fireworks within the city limits. Snappers, snakes, sparklers, party poppers, toy caps and toy smoke devices are exceptions to the ban. (More information).

¢ Baldwin's display starts about 9 p.m. and will last from an hour to an hour and a half. The event will also feature games at the Baldwin High School sports complex, including tug-of-war and a sack race. The games begin at 6 p.m.

¢ In Eudora, the fireworks display will begin at dusk. Viewers should gather in the parking lot of Eudora Middle School, where entertainment will begin at 7 p.m. The Eudora event will feature a disc jockey, and the fireworks display should last for about an hour.

Comments

Jillster 8 years, 9 months ago

The ban is a joke -- people have been setting off fireworks in my neighborhood for the past several nights, and there doesn't seem to be a cop in sight. They're going off even as I type. I'm not going to even bother to call the cops, because the people just scatter as soon as a cop car comes in sight, and they come back out as soon as the coast is clear. Talk about a law that is practically impossible to enforce!

Channel 6 had the announcement that the riverfront fireworks would be televised on channel 19 tonight...I tuned in, and it would have been cool if 1) the camera could have stayed in focus, and 2) if the sound of the fireworks could have been broadcast instead of music. For some reason, the flash without the "BOOM!" is missing something!

chevygal 8 years, 9 months ago

hey Linda, try ARMED forces...and the fireworks ban makes me sick! i think im gonna go grab some smokes and fireworks and go blow them off and smoke a pack on a roundabout somewhere! whos with me?!?!?

Linda 8 years, 9 months ago

I strongly support the fireworks ban & think the police need extra support so they can get to & fine the violators - who think the ban is a joke. I use to love the 4th of July & have come to hate this long weekend. If I wanted to live in a war zone - I would join the arm forces.

nefball1031 8 years, 9 months ago

We currently haven't started but i have begun to make a website that will hopefully be up and running by the end of this week.

We'll have information of where you can sign the petition and when

Thanks for anyone's support

kawryan 8 years, 9 months ago

I am for the ban. I just drove home and had not a one bottle rocket hit my car! And the smoke in the air was not so thick I could see where I was going!

macon47 8 years, 9 months ago

i am sorry the kids cannot enjoy their fireworks. alot of the ban was brought on by the parents, who made such a mess in the streets and never cleaned it up the next day. too many degenerate parents. mostly a bunch of red neck loosers with way too many kids, step kids, and, kids too many to be counted. the making of babies, does not end with the pleasure of the moment. sorry so many parents a generation or two ago raised such a bunch of LOSERS. they are too, but glad to be rid of them ,, unless of coures they have moved back it

rhd99 8 years, 9 months ago

I certainly would sign it. Where do I go?

nefball1031 8 years, 9 months ago

who else things the fireworks ban sucks? if i started a petition to unban them, would anyone sign it? i've considered it for years