The Journal-World is having its annual songwriting contest in conjunction with USA Weekend's songwriting contest for teens.
The winner of the national contest will receive:
- A trip for two to a season finale of Fox TV's "American Idol."
- A meet-and-greet with Simon Cowell, plus a VIP backstage pass.
- Winning lyrics printed in USA Weekend magazine.
- A $1,000 U.S. Savings Bond.
- The Sony Vegas + DVD Production Bundle, which includes a DVD/CD burner, and Sony Acid Music Studio software.
- A Nokia 3300 "American Idol" phone/MPE player, plus a $100 Sam Goody gift card.
- Students 13 to 18 years old who are full-time students in grades 7 to 12 can enter.
- The song should reflect the contest's theme, "Make a Difference," and not exceed 125 words, including the title.
- Send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail on a typed, double-spaced, 8 1/2-by-11-inch paper to Songwriting Contest, Lawrence Journal-World, 645 N.H., Lawrence 66044. Include your name, school, grade, hometown and phone number.
All entries must be postmarked or submitted online by Feb. 14. Journal-World entries will be forwarded to the national contest.