Law enforcement report
- A 49-year-old Lawrence man reported Jan. 30 that a hunting trap killed his 12-year-old Rottweiler mix. The trap was set near a trail by Riverfront Park, near Second and Indiana streets. According to a police report, the owner said his dog went running off without a leash.
The owner heard the dog yelp, and when he found the animal, it was in a hunter's trap. The owner wasn't able to free his dog. The dog's owner waited for the person who set the trap to come along. Once that happened, the dog's owner detained the man until the city's Animal Control arrived.
According to the police report, the person set the trap in an attempt to capture raccoons for hides. The trapper, however, didn't have a fur-trapping license.
- Lawrence Police informed the Lawrence school district about a break-in at Central Junior High School, discovered at 3:30 a.m. Sunday. School personnel are trying to determine whether anything was taken.
A security company reported that someone caused $600 worth of damage at the school, 1400 Mass. Glass door panes were broken, and some interior doors were damaged.
Burglaries and thefts reported
- A 40-year-old Lawrence woman reported a 1989 Ford Bronco taken Jan. 30 from the 900 block of West Third Street. The brown Bronco had a Utah license plate and was valued at $1,000.
- A 48-year-old Lawrence man reported the theft of tires valued at $2,000. The incident happened between noon Friday and 2 p.m. Sunday in the 1900 block of West 31st Street.
- A 16-year-old Lawrence boy reported an auto burglary that happened between Thursday night and Friday morning in the 1500 block of Powers Street. Missing items, including CDs, a CD player, amplifier and speaker, totaled $1,050.
- An employee at Laird Noller, 935 W. 23rd St., reported that a Lincoln Town Car worth $42,595 was taken between Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.
- A 28-year-old Lawrence woman reported $1,000 worth of damage to her 1990 Honda Accord on Friday evening near 14th and New Jersey streets.
- A person broke into the car of a 23-year-old Lawrence man between Thursday night and Friday evening in the 2400 block of Iowa Street. The man reported about $1,475 worth of items taken, including CDs.
- A 41-year-old Lawrence woman reported the burglary of a 1994 Chevy Cavalier worth $2,000. The incident happened Friday night in the 2300 block of Ridge Court.
- A 26-year-old Lawrence man reported about $1,200 worth of items taken from his vehicle. The incident happened between Thursday night and Friday morning in the 700 block of East 22nd Street.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:
- Carbon monoxide detector malfunction, 10:41 p.m. Sunday, 1340 Ky.
- Gasoline or other flammable liquid spill, 6:31 p.m. Sunday, 2330 Iowa.
- False alarm, 10:17 a.m. Sunday, 1025 Emery Road.
- Smoke detector malfunction, 2:08 a.m. Sunday, 3106 Iowa.
- False alarm, 12:33 a.m. Sunday, 1530 W. 15th St.