Archive for Saturday, December 31, 2005

Tangled web of faith

Lawrence author’s ‘God Doesn’t Have Bad Hair Days’ embraces different take on spirituality and peace

December 31, 2005

Pam Grout wants to unlock the chains of traditional religion and open up doors to new spirituality.

She's grown tired of the negative preaching of religious fundamentalists and wants to shift the focus to a God - or maybe a universal energy - that has your best interest at heart.

She's written a new book to expound on her beliefs.

"All I want to do is spread love," Grout says. "I don't want to create any fights with anybody. But it does sort of say some of the things we were taught about God are perhaps incorrect, or at least this book would encourage you to examine some of our beliefs about God."

Grout, a Lawrence resident for six years, is author of "God Doesn't Have Bad Hair Days," which is due out in January. She's written more than 10 books, including "Living Big: Embrace Your Passion," "Leap Into an Extraordinary Life" and the more recent "You Know You're in Kansas When ... ."

Lawrence author Pam Grout.

Lawrence author Pam Grout.

She is the daughter of a Methodist minister in Kansas, has a journalism degree from Kansas State University and has written for several newspapers. She currently is a full-time freelancer whose regular credits include People magazine.

Sometimes she calls that energy God. Sometimes she calls it Cosmo K, after Cosmo Kramer, a character on the TV show "Seinfeld." Or "the Dude," a reference to the movie "The Big Lebowski." She says she uses the different names because the term "God" carries baggage for some people.

The experiments range from spending 48 hours looking for signs God exists to carrying a big stuffed animal around for 48 hours to prove that people, in general, aren't the grouches we assume them to be.

"I've used these principles in my life a lot," Grout says. "What it is hoping for is a paradigm shift. Basically, what a lot of physicists are starting to say now, or starting to admit, is our consciousness or our thoughts actually influence our environment. ... You have a lot more control over your life than some people like to think."

The overriding principle, she says, is that God has your best interest at heart.

"Albert Einstein said the most important decision each of us can make is 'Is the world a friendly place, or not?' Once you make that decision, how you see the world follows that. To me, the essential thing is what we decide to focus on in life."

By focusing on the environment around us, Grout says, we can have new insights. We only acknowledge a small amount of the information we're exposed to in a day, she says.

"Kind of what it says is God is within all of us - that all of us have that powerful energy, and we direct it by how we focus our consciousness," Grout says. "It's definitely positive. The new paradigm is not that old God that sits up in heaven and has a little book and checks off the things you do wrong. That's not the God I'm talking about at all."

Grout, 49, has been involved in "new thought" churches for more than a decade. She currently attends Unity Church of Lawrence, 900 Madeline Lane. Unity churches believe Jesus was more of a brother than a deity. They use his teachings alongside the teachings of leaders of other religions.

"This book is filled with Unity concepts and ideas," says the Rev. Darlene Strickland, pastor at Unity Church. "Anyone who has been exposed to Unity or other new thought spirituality will find a strong resonance with the book."

Strickland says she thinks readers will find plenty of practical advice in "Hair Days."

"In many ways, this book is a personal invitation to explore and examine one's spiritual beliefs," Strickland says. "For many people, it will offer a new concept of God, as well as new ways of understanding God and working with the laws of the universe to create a better life."

Grout says she's not trying to introduce ideas that are in conflict or agreement with any particular church. Instead, she thinks her book could appeal to people of any religion who are seeking spiritual renewal.

Comments

moderator 8 years ago

The ones clearly lacking recourse to logic and reason are the right wing lunatics.

Chris Redford 8 years ago

Logic I study logic. I am an intensely logical person. If I've made any logical mistakes, I would like you to correct me. What fallacies have I committed 75x55? I think every logical conclusion I've made stands on solid ground. Perhaps you don't agree with my premises. If so which premises are they? I don't think I've made any logical errors. But I am completely open to you pointing them out.

I am a student of truth. And I know I am not perfect. Your correction makes me perfect. And that is why I debate. But I'm not convinced that you have anything to correct me of. So if you actually do, then please be more clear.

I am totally open to your perspective. But I'm not going to just believe anything you say without question. You are going to have to give me a logical argument for it. Based on premises on which we both agree.

Here's a starting point: do you care about what is actually true? Even if that means that theism is not a real concept?

Christian Origins Another thought: Christianity could not be created by a single human mind.. what about multiple human minds? What about human thoughts throughout history? What about the generations of Christians who shaped the religion, created the Bible, and adjusted it to fit their culture? What about the thousands of rabbis and prophets that preceded Jesus and created the Jewish law which so inspired him?

Do you see a chain here? You are right: it is not a human mind that created this. It is many human minds. Spread throughout history. Human minds and the transcendent forces that that they were trying to understand.

Before you step in and assume those forces were a theistic God, I'm going to have to ask you not to be so dogmatic. What reason do you have to think that? Because the people themselves thought it was God? What reason did they have to think that? Possibly because it was the only explanation they had for mysteries which to us are mysteries no more? Like how the sun hangs in the sky and how the moon travels? Or did they use God to find meaning in their own lives, irregardless of it being a real concept?

Did they use the concept to make sense of the world with the knowledge that they had?

Now: do we have more knowledge than they did? I'm not against these people. The writers of the Bible. They did the best they could with what they had. Now we have more. We don't need to be tied down by their limitations. Their assumptions. We have more.

I'm not against you. You want me to look beyond the boundaries. I am. Tell me what I am missing 75x55. Have faith in me. I have faith in you.

Chris Redford 8 years ago

Basically you've said "you are blind because you don't agree with me. I hope someday you can see." It really doesn't tell me anything substantial.

I have no dogma friend. There are no sacred "truths" except that the truth itself exists. I am a total and complete servant of truth and truth alone.

Now tell me: if there is some truth I'm missing: what is it? If you have evidence to believe something I don't believe: what is it? If you don't have evidence to believe something I don't believe, why do you believe it?

In other words: what do you think I don't believe that I should and why?

I have no partiality to science except that it is effective in finding the truth.

Theism I agree that Christianity is not something a human mind could come up with. Neither is society. Neither is Buddhism. Neither is science. None of these things could stand on the crux of a single human mind. They require the forces of the outside world. Forces we do not understand.

And the problem is you are saying you already understand it. You are saying you already have the answer and the answer is a God who acts like a human being. He's the one who made all this. There was basically a human being who put it all together.

I'm saying I don't know what put it all together and I think my position is more open than yours. I'm open not only to a supernatural human being putting everything together but also just the opposite. I'm open to everything being put together by something that is beyond our current understanding. I find this last thought the most likely.

Do you see what I'm saying? You are accusing me of dogma. But it is dogma to assume that a human being did all this. And that is what a theistic God is. A human being. You are putting arms and legs on the universe, giving it human goals, human emotions, human characteristics. The hand of God. The voice of God. The words of God. You are personifying the essence of the universe. Forcing it to be a human being. But for me, that God is too small. I think He is too small for you too.

I think you can reach beyond this narrow concept. There is much more to the universe than what you are seeing. The blinders are on you. And they are shaped in the form of an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent human being. If you shatter these blinders and allow for other possibilities, I think the universe will open up to you.

conservativeman 8 years ago

75x55, Well said, Thanks Conservativeman

75x55 8 years ago

Human construct - indeed. That doesn't jibe with Christianity, and that is a serious statement. Christianity is not something a human mind would come up with.

The weakness in your scientific dogma is the philosophical basis for scientific inquiry. You assume that the preconceived limit is the ultimate limit and nothing can be discovered outside of scientific method/process. It's essentially the same as wearing a set of blinders, and not taking them off - you soon come to believe that all you can see is all there is to see.

You should study logic. It's very eye-opening in regards to questions of faith. But I'll leave that pursuit to you - I only hope you haven't been completely given over.

Chris Redford 8 years ago

"would be so many pearls thrown before"

A pig? I think not. I'm not a scoffer. I just prefer that claims have a sound logical basis. I'm not much for trading one-liners.

"The reason that you don't see evidence is that you don't admit to what you see as being evidence."

Evidence for what, friend? A theistic God? Give me one piece of evidence and we'll talk about it. I handle claims like this on a case-by-case basis.

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish." --Albert Einstein

Einstein was an atheist. He is referring to an atheistic God. He referred to the entire order and harmony of the universe as "God". It had nothing to do with the God of the Bible.

When asked if Einstein believed in God, he said "I believe in the God of Spinoza".

Spinoza was the first Jewish atheist in Europe. Spinoza experienced the world as divine. The practice of reason was a holy activity for him. He had an affinity with all the world around him. Spinoza believed in universal harmony in the most atheistic sense. To Spinoza, "God" was the universe itself. The One of which we are all a part. The All.

Thus, Einstein's "God" was related to theism and the God of the Bible by name only. It is ironic that you see him quoted in The Purpose Driven Life. He was an atheist.

"So is this a universe that brought itself into existence and just happened to self-order? Please explain how this is possible. I am very interested."

As am I, friend. I too would like to know how it is possible.

People who believe a theistic God created the universe assume they already know the answer. They assume they've found the answer before we've even investigated it.

I don't know why the universe has a self-order. This is something physicists have been trying to discover for years. They've made many attempts at a single unifying theory, string theory being the most prominent.

But do you know, looking through all the universe and its complexities and benevolence, something they have never found? A theistic God.

I don't mean to walk all over your faith. I just implore you not to assume that what is most likely a mental construct that arose from human culture is the source of all being. We have no more reason to believe the God of the Bible (a thinking, acting, very human God) is the source of all being than we do Zeus or unicorns or the flying spaghetti monster. This construct just has a more vehement and loyal following.

And most likely: people who confuse theism with atheism. As my explanation of Einstein and Spinoza's God illustrates.

Lepanto1571 8 years ago

Orikal,

Please explain how this is possible.

I am very interested.

SpeedRacer 8 years ago

"Albert Einstein said the most important decision each of us can make is 'Is the world a friendly place, or not?" How spiritual...

New Age religion uses the cafeteria method of selecting its beliefs. I adhere to a basic truth as expessed by Einstein: "God doesn't play dice."

"Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish." --Albert Einstein

moderator 8 years ago

Regarding hatred, the conservatives / fundamentalists thrive on it. Hatred lights up an area of the brain that can be associated with pleasure. These people get off on feeling superior to others and venerating themselves as God's chosen ones. The true Christian God, unperveted by fundamentalists, is a loving inclusive God. Think about the New Testement, would Jesus aprove of the fundamentalist / conservatives hatred? Jesus was not a man of hate, nor is Christianity a religon of hatred, The fundamentalists claim ownership of Christianity and they claim anyone who is not one of them is not a real Christian. We need to take back Christianity from these fundamentalists that have perverted and bastardized its good nature.

moderator 8 years ago

The woman in the article is fed up with the hatred that is being preached from so many pulpits. We all know fred phelps, but many other churches, big suburban overland park mega churches also spew hatred, bigoted, anti-secular dogma. The other problem with religon today is the lack of respect for the seperation of church and state. Preachers are preaching politics from the pulpit and politicians are preaching from the legislature. What's the matter with Kansas? This is it.

moderator 8 years ago

75x55, I would like to see someone prove God's existance. Go for it.

75x55 8 years ago

Orikal - I would, but it would be a complete waste of breath. It is obvious that you are a 'scoffer' and as such, anything I would attempt to communicate to you would be so many pearls thrown before... well, you get the point.

In such a case, you will have to motivate yourself to enough concern or even curiosity to begin looking for the meaning of sin and it's revelatory properties.

In regards to your 'first cause' mockery - you fall into the error of lumping the enormity of The First Cause/Necessary Being with something so ('universally'-speaking) insignificant as a hurricane. The reason that you don't see evidence is that you don't admit to what you see as being evidence.

"Just because something has a cause, that doesn't mean it was intelligent..." - sure, if you're speaking of everyday events. But The First Cause... that by necessity MUST be of intelligent origin. If you have problems with that idea, you need to get some basic grounding in formal logic study.

Chris Redford 8 years ago

"First cause"

Yes, there was a Creator. We have no evidence that this creator was a being or intelligent. Only that there was a first cause to the entire universe.

Just because something was a cause, that doesn't mean it was intelligent or that it has sovereignty over what it causes. Hurricane Katrina caused many people to lose their homes. Does that mean Katrina had a will for those people to lose their homes? It does not. Did the will of Katrina follow their lives and build up for them new homes and lives? Did Katrina watch over them?

In the same way, we have no evidence that the first cause has anything to do with Heaven, Hell, or theism. It can exist wholly independently of the ideas of the Bible and most likely does.

Chris Redford 8 years ago

"I fear for many of you, in your ignorance."

Enlighten me. For if I am ignorant and you are not, then you can easily educate me.

I question your claims. I think all of them are brazen and hollow. Why? Because you've not defended them. You've merely stated them as fact.

What is sin and how does it reveal God? Do you really know?

Chris Redford 8 years ago

"If you don't believe in God then you ARE going to hell. It is either true or it is not. "

You are right. It is true or not. And what is your argument that it is true?

Here is mine that it is not. http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/24001848/

75x55 8 years ago

Understand sin, and you will understand your place with God. Fail to comprehend sin, and you will never see your need for God.

I fear for many of you, in your ignorance.

Lepanto1571 8 years ago

Nothing like good ol' fashioned synchristic "spirituality."

A little of this, a little of that; oh, hey, eastern religion lends itself to pantheism just fine (just be a "good" person), so add a dash of that; identify that higher "force" as "energy," or any other new age ambiguous platitude, then viola!...

..you find yourself worshipping a god who is (surprise, surprise!!), a chap or chappette very much like you; which is, of course, really cool if one is responsibility averse.

Do your own thing MS Grout, every idiot mall kid in America is. Sounds to me like that's a crowd you'll be wildly popular with.

As for me, I have more respect for atheists!

conservativeman 8 years ago

What a load of manure. God doesn't have bad hair days sounds like a new age hippy feel good do your brother or sister book. Toss in some drugs and the whole hippy experience is realized. NO THANKS.

Use the force? Sounds familiar, hmmmm where did I hear her theory on God?

If you don't believe in God then you ARE going to hell. It is either true or it is not. It is not maybe a little Budda tossed in for good measure. God (Jesus) said He is the Truth and the way. Only through faith in Jesus as the Son of God does one see the Father. If you can't accept that then you are going to accept the consequence.

Chris Redford 8 years ago

"I think it's important to view different views of God the same as with evolution. Creationists and Atheists both can look at the same scientific observations, but they each view it with different assumptions."

I used to think this. The problem is you could rephrase it as "Creationists, Flying Spaghetti-Monsterists, Atheists, and non-Flying Spaghetti-Monsterists ... view it with different assumptions."

Atheists are simply assuming that what they see is what they actually see. As soon as I see actual evidence for a theistic God, I will gladly believe in Him. The problem is, the sole action of people saying there is a God simply is not enough. It's not that I don't want to believe in God. It is just that I find it unwise to place so much faith in something that is very likely a human construct.

The fact is, there was a time when God was born. It was in the Hebrew exile to Babylonia. Before this, monotheism did not exist. Monotheism evolved from paganism. The Hebrews had a pantheon consisting of at least Baal, Asherah, and Yahweh and they selected for Yahweh to become the one and only God. This is when monotheism and Almighty God were created. This is the time when we stood before the Heavens and said "let there be light" and created God in our own image.

There is quite a bit of evidence for this. Monotheism was not a discovery: it was an invention.

Look at the image of God. Is he not quite clearly a human being with infinite powers? Isn't it clear that we simply want for there to be a human in charge of all this so we have someone to relate to? So we know there is someone in the heavens so we can talk to man-to-man? Ultimately, it is about knowing that we are still in control of our destinies. We don't have to fear an ominous universe because we have someone on the inside track. Ultimately, a just and loving God is looking out for us. We are forcing the universe into a rigid template.

I personally, as an atheist, am completely open to the idea of God actually existing. And I am completely open to the idea that God was a subjective invention of human culture. Given the evidence, I find the latter more likely. So I select it as my working assumption. It is most definitely open to change.

What basis do you have for believing that a theistic God, a God that thinks, and acts, and is essentially human, is an objective reality? Is it something that cannot be explained by the subjects of psychology, sociology, astronomy, or evolution?

These latter are not random chance, my friend. They are very elaborate and orderly systems. But they most definitely are not God.

gr 8 years, 3 months ago

I think it's important to view different views of God the same as with evolution. Creationists and Atheists both can look at the same scientific observations, but they each view it with different assumptions. One believes there is no God and sees supporting evidence. The other believes there is a God and also sees scientific support.

Likewise, those who believe there is a God, are separated out into those who believe He is an angry and vengeful god seeking who he may destroy and those who believe He is mercyful, loving, and willing to risk everything to have each of us with Him. And each group can find support for their basic assumptions with which they approach viewing the same data.

Ragingbear, rather than believe what others tell you, why not look for evidence yourself? I wouldn't want to believe in a god that you picture either! It would be much much easier to believe there is no God and we came from randomness. For the alternative would mean we are accountable. Accountable to a God who will burn you if you step out of line. And you will think you find evidence of such if you read the Bible if that's what you believe about Him and are looking for it. Keep in mind the difference between "image" and "character". The ways of God are not the ways of man. He has no need for revenge or punishment. But, if you try to keep a open mind and approach it from different angles, you'll find there's much more support or a loving Father AND Jesus. They are on the same side and not opposing each other - John 10:30: I and the Father are one.

Yes, some Christians may seem a little strange to say Love Him or He'll burn ya. I don't blame you! Why would someone want to love a god like that? But through a deeper study than surface reading, you'll not find such support in the Bible.

malachi 8 years, 3 months ago

I will refer to myself as Agnostic for this post. Although I don't want to pigeonhole my spirituality, I at least have to give some idea of where I am coming form.

I usually try to steer clear of religous propaganda, but I actually have some respect for what this woman is saying. I feel that it would be good for the overall symbiosis of the planet if people could learn to pursue their spirituality without having to be so dogmatic about the notion of God.

What I get from this is she is choosing to embrace her free will to spread positive energy to all things and to gain a higher understanding of the essence of life, rather then demoralizing people because they don't believe the exact same thing thus spreading negativity everywhere they go.

I get tired of people who quote passages from the bible. Book of Paul (2:23) blah blah blah. I don't sit here and say Stars Wars (Chapter 4, Verse 20) "May the force be with you" and expect you to believe anything that you don't want to.

It is ok for people to have different views and believe in different things. As long they don't give up the ability to think for themselves or take away anyone else's ability to think for them self in the process.

Ragingbear 8 years, 3 months ago

Born Again, saved from Sin, never gotta go to church again, I got a fishie on my bumper! Slap my kids, beat my wife, I'm gonna have eternal life!

Ragingbear 8 years, 3 months ago

No, I am saying that anyone who actually believes that hogwash they are fed that seems to somehow explain away the holes in thier god's system with more loopholes are in fact either stupid... Or, well stupid.

TJ_in_Lawrence 8 years, 3 months ago

"Stupid"?? How sad, that name calling had to enter into a rational discussion.

Fangorn 8 years, 3 months ago

Ragingbear: You know, you were really doing an admirable job of staking out your position. And then you had to go and ruin it by making a very bigoted remark to close your last post. You can certainly do better than that. Even so, allow me to answer the "question" you ask.

God is only bound by His nature: two primary characteristics of which are holiness and justice. Because He is holy, nothing sinful can abide in His presence. Because He is just, there must be a penalty for sin. Paul makes it very clear in his letter to the Romans that the "wages of sin is death" (6:23) and that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (3:23). Therefore, all of us deserve the separation from God that sin brings. However, in addition to being holy and just, God is also loving and merciful. Because He loves us - all of us - He doesn't want to spend eternity without us. And because He is merciful, He provided a way of salvation for us. Jesus the Christ (Hebrew = "Messiah", meaning "Anointed One") paid the penalty for sin on the cross. He bore our punishment for us, so that sin would no longer have to separate us from our Creator. Receiving that salvation is simple, as Paul also made clear to the Romans. That's in 10:9-10.

ljreader 8 years, 3 months ago

She carries stuffed animals around for 48 hours- Is that Dada?

Ragingbear 8 years, 3 months ago

Wait a minute, why did he "need" to punish us in the first place? It's not like he is bound by any rules other than his own.

Christians are stupid.

ljreader 8 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone find it interesting that the chicks book is called "God doesn't have bad hair days", and then got a load of her hair? Is the picture taken in a bathroom? If so, Why? These are the mysteries I think we should be unraveling.

JazzEgle 8 years, 3 months ago

It's true that the Old Testament God was very vengeful, but with Christ and the power of Grace, he no longer needs to punish us as in the OT. God does not act in that way much anymore. If you believe Christ is the savior, confess your sins, and ask for forgiveness, you have eternal life. If you reject Christ, you will live a life not with God, and while the presence of Hell is debateable; you will certainly not receive the gift of joining Christ is heaven.

gr 8 years, 3 months ago

And who said that humans chose to live within that image?

Ragingbear 8 years, 3 months ago

You know, God supposedly made man in his image, as such, humans are reflective of God. This has caused me to come to a few conclusions.

Humans are unrpedictable, and subject to thier emotions. Humans lie to kids all the time, everything from the tooth Fairy to why we should comb our hair.

Promising to lock your kids in the basement for being bad, or taking them to the amusement park for being good is considered by most to be horrid parenting.

Humans are naturally destructive, uncaring, selfish, and self-serving.

So, in that light, let's put God in a similer perspective of being a divine parent...

Humans are unrpedictable, and subject to thier emotions. ~So is God. Read any part of the Old Testament. God constantly changes the rules, and orders the wholesale slaughter of entire civilizations.

~~A vast majority of humans are known for being abusive parents, those who arent are known for being nearly mechanical.~~ Once again, look at the old testament. I told you not to touch my chair, I don't care if you were trying to keep it from breaking, you die now.

~~Parents tend to lie about thier power and authority to thier children. All humans tend to at least exaggerate thier power.~~ I am all powerful, I always existed, I created you.... Hmm, and he is the only one that can actually verify this... Interesting.

~~Promising to lock your kinds in the basement for being bad, or taking them to the amusement park for being good is considered by most to be horrid parenting. ~~ So why does the promise of Heaven and Hell seem so similer?

~~All kids eventually need to grow up and leave the nest. And parents who tell thier kids "Go out, be good, work hard, and then when you retire, you get to move back here and live with me where I will take care of you." are just wierd people.~~ Yeah, like I really want to live with my parents for all eternity.

~~Humans are naturally destructive, uncaring, selfish, and self-serving.~~ I'm mad, flood the world. I'm upset, spawn a plauge, I'm just arnery today, I know, I will go visit my kids in person... Oh, and the entire world will be consumed in fire...

Not saying your God doesn't exist. Just saying that I don't want him near me, and that he needs some major therapy. Perhaps some electro-shock and a lobotomy.

Larry 8 years, 3 months ago

How about God wants what is best for us? Just like we want what is best for our children. When my kids are headed down the wrong way - I try to correct them and show them the right way. They probably think that I'm only thinking of myself but am actually thinking of what is best for the kids.

"I'm not trying to create a new religion at all," Grout says. "That's the last thing I would want to do. Basically, it's for people who want to have more peace in their life. It's a way to look at life differently, to have more peace and joy. I believe that's how it's supposed to be." How funny! I knew that this woman was part of the unity church as soon as I started reading this article. I have peace in my life from the knowledge that Jesus Christ is my Savior and through Him, I can enter Heaven. Before I had that belief, my life was truly choas. "The experiments range from spending 48 hours looking for signs God exists" This says a lot about Pam. I can open my wallet and in five seconds, find pictures of my children, to know that God exists. I walk onto my deck and see the trees, flowers, animals, birds, neighbors, sun, clouds, little puppy next door, etc. and know that God exists.

Ragingbear 8 years, 3 months ago

The Judeo/Christian God has never, and never will have our own interest at heart. Throughout the entire old Testament, and into the new Testament, he shows time and time again that he/she/it only cares about his own agendas. Don't do exactly what he wants? Go to hell, do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Not the type of God I am interested in. At least my heaven has a stripper factory and a beer volcano.

kansasdaughter 8 years, 3 months ago

I agree TJ, that God is who He is, and further, that God's nature has not changed. With that in mind, let me ask you, do you think that mankind has a full grasp of what/who God is? I don't.

TJ_in_Lawrence 8 years, 3 months ago

You know, you can write new books and look at things differently all you want, but God is still who He is and who He always has been. We do not have the ability to become God. We are the creations of God and therefore, we will always be less than He is. I do agree that we often look at God from a negative or weird perspective, but that is our problem. God loves us and wants the very best for us, but that doesn't mean that He doesn't have standards. He wants the best for us in relation to us living within His will, not ours.