Archive for Saturday, December 31, 2005

Homeless man jailed after traffic incident

December 31, 2005

Robert "Simon" Gilmore, a homeless man who's often seen sleeping downtown in front of Weaver's Department Store or the Replay Lounge, was arrested early Friday afternoon at the intersection of New Hampshire and Seventh streets.

"He was in the middle of the street," said Lawrence police spokesman Sgt. Dan Ward. "We got a call from someone who couldn't get around him because of the oncoming traffic. The next car couldn't get around him either."

When police arrived at the scene, above, Ward said, Gilmore "actively and passively resisted" the officers. He was later charged with obstruction, disorderly conduct and battery. He was taken to Douglas County Jail, where he remains.

"The last thing we want to do is arrest someone in his situation, but the officers have no choice," Ward said.

Gilmore, 48, is visually impaired. He has been hospitalized several times for mental illness.

Comments

corporate_sleaze 8 years, 12 months ago

To Purell,

I agree with you completely. Most of the time I regard the posts by -- Marion -- as nonconsequential gibberish at best. I suspect he spends twice as much time rereading and admiring his own posts as he does writing them. He's such a buffoon.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 12 months ago

Well it appears Simon will be warm,safe and fed to bring in the new year.

Confrontation 8 years, 12 months ago

Marion-I don't know what these other posters are talking about, since I see your posts as some of the most reasonable on this site. Schizophrenia will never be understood by those people who don't care.

Purell 8 years, 12 months ago

50 - 70 hours working, that's funny and impossible. 50 - 70- hours on posting board is closer to the truth. Look at your post - even after having it explained to you, you just don't get it. Everyone else was certainly right.

killjoy 8 years, 12 months ago

Hey, I love spaces too!

I think maybe, I'll type like this from now on.

I hope everyone does.

Imagine how long the board will be?

The voices told me to do this.

killjoy 8 years, 12 months ago

There once was a man with no brain

he tried to defend the insane.

He double-spaced his type

which made everyone gripe.

So, they flushed his posts down the drain.

beer_N_cigarettes 8 years, 12 months ago

Marion,

You may, indeed, have sincere motives and genuine concern for this Simon character. However, your message(s) get lost in your constant, frequent altruistic, self indulgent ramblings.

Beyond whipping up anonymous op-eds on a newspaper blog; just how important is the "issue" of Simon to you; just how much of an advocate are you for him?

Do you provide any amount of financial support to him?

Do you devote significant time to meet, walk, talk, counsel, or mentor with him? (other than an occassional token five minutes on the street).

Are you in direct contact with social service agencies to obtain help for this individual?

Finally, have you ever had Simon visit or stay with you at your house? On those cold, winter nights have you brought Simon to your house to spend the night, the week, to live permanently?

Yea, that's what we thought. So, don't get your panties in a bunch when other posters challenge you.

Enough of this dada, it's New Years and I'm getting drunk, then I'm going to go in front of Weavers and puke on the sidewalk, so Simon has something warm to sleep on.

Godot 8 years, 12 months ago

Hannibal, may you celebrate the New Year with an abundance of fava.