Archive for Friday, December 23, 2005

Choice clarified

December 23, 2005

To the editor:

After reading the blogs associated with the Body Boutique article ("Fitness club members criticize tree with Birthright message," Dec. 19), I'm compelled to clarify that there is an error in the story. I did not request a refund. I did, however, request that the normal 90 days of notification to terminate my membership be waived. Again to be clear, I do not in any way believe I am owed a refund. Furthermore, I respect the right of the owner to deny my request for an early termination. Whatever she decides, I will cooperate. Legally I am obliged to do so.

To be fair, at the time that I signed my gym contract, I could not have known that the owner would egregiously use her business to further an anti-choice agenda. Had I known, I assure you, I would not have entered into a contract with the gym. In fact, my decision to contact the Journal-World regarding the tree was done to inform members and women considering becoming members that Body Boutique is an anti-choice establishment. For many women that is perfectly OK, but for others it is not.

Therefore, in the spirit of choice, I choose to terminate my membership. Perhaps others will follow. Or at least, now they will know what they are getting into.

Kelly Jones,

Lawrence

Comments

classclown 9 years, 6 months ago

A 90 day notice to cancel a membership? That's ridiculous. I wouldn't have a membership to anything that required me to let them know 3 months in advance that I will no longer use there services. Things happen in life and you never know when you might have to leave town at a moments notice. Or what if you get injured and can no longer use the facility? 3 months is simply way excessive.

allateup 9 years, 6 months ago

Kelly, Birthright is all about choices.

pixiemom 9 years, 6 months ago

Allateup - as long as that choice does not include termination. Birthright is absolutely a 'pro-life' organization. One of their sayings is that 'every child has a right to be born'. Ask any girl or woman who has gone in for a 'free' pregnancy test and been told they are going to hell if they abort. To suggest that Birthright is pro-choice is laughable.

Why do many pro-life people want to hide their true intentions? If your cause is so noble as to risk the finances of your business by placing a fetus tree in your lobby, then stand up and be proud! You must feel pretty strongly about something to risk offending a good percentage of your clientele. Just call yourself a pro-life gym and heathens like myself and Ms. Jones will gladly stay far away!

pixiemom 9 years, 6 months ago

Are we liberals or feminazis? The nazis were anything but liberal. As a libertarian (not a nazi or liberal), I am all for NOT telling other people what to do with their reproductive decisions. period.

BunE 9 years, 6 months ago

bettie 9 years, 6 months ago

here's one woman's birthright story:

"I saw a sign for a "pregnancy counselling" centre and decided to see what it was all about and hopefully find out some information that would help me make my decision. I was in for a surprise. The centre that I went to was called Birthright. An apparent "non-judgemental" pregnancy counselling center. From the minute that I got there I was bombarded with pamphlets and lectured about how there was no other alternative but to have the baby because anything else would be uncivilized, barbaric, and inhumane. I felt so ashamed and judged that I couldn't wait to get out of there."

wonderhorse 9 years, 6 months ago

Arminius

"Why are femi-Nazis such as you and Jones so against women having options other than abortion?"

Please point out who made this statement.

pixiemom 9 years, 6 months ago

"Libertarian is just code for I only care about myself. Make sure you know what you stand for before using that moniker."

BunE - good point. Really, I am only libertarian on social issues. Why do people care so much about what OTHER people do with their own private lives? It's mind boggling.

bettie 9 years, 6 months ago

arminius: anonymous, as one talking about such a private issue would tend to be.

if you're looking for something more concrete:

"Some of the centers have become objects of legal action by women who have "complained ... about undue pressure, deceptive advertising, emotional trauma, breach of promised confidentiality and coercion to sign adoption papers." Between 1983 and 1996, 19 lawsuits in nine states were filed against crisis pregnancy centers, and judges ruled against the centers in at least 12 cases." -Kaiser Family Foundation, Oct. 21 2001 Daily Report

frittata65 9 years, 6 months ago

Have any of you checked "fetus tree" on google? You'll find that the rest of the country is shocked (even "pro life" people) at the tactics that Birthright/body boutique used with the fetus tree. As a clarification, the point of the story is the inclusion of a politically polarizing topic at a women's gym, not who is on which side of the topic.

bettie 9 years, 6 months ago

as for informing women about their choices, doctors (including abortion providers) are required by law to inform women of the risks and benefits of all of their choices, including parenthood, adoption and abortion. check out the woman's right to know info on dr. tiller's website: http://www.drtiller.com/bk1.html.

crisis pregnancy centers like birthright, on the other hand, are completely unregulated. there is nothing to stop them from providing inaccurate, incomplete, or biased information.

wonderhorse 9 years, 6 months ago

Arminius

You object, and rightly so, when the lefties start calling you names when you defend our president. You would probably be better off if you don't use the "femi-Nazi" label in order to stay on moral high ground. This is the same sort of ad-hominem attack you complain about so often. Jones is not trying to push her agenda on anyone--she merely is speaking her mind.

bettie 9 years, 6 months ago

you don't know that i'm not making it up. that's the trouble with issues like pregnancy - people don't typically want their names associated with such private issues.

the kaiser family foundation is not affiliated with any organization and yes i do believe them to be unbiased.

do you honestly believe that birthright's own website, which you referred us to earlier, could possibly be an unbiased source on the organization's motivations?

mermily 9 years, 6 months ago

arminuis- i often, if not in every post you make, disagree strongly with you. that said, i'm just fine with that and do not have a difficult time remaining respectful. i can always benefit from hearing another viewpoint and am not so threatened by different takes that i need to attempt to bully others out of sharing.

however, what i find drains your points to nothing for me is not that they differ from my views, but that you frequently engage in name-calling. there is no need to call anyone an "airhead" nor a "femi-nazi". we are all multi-dimensional and even if think you know a person's true and complete feelings on one single topic, i would still recommend you steer clear of labeling them in their entirety.

not only do i find it childish, unnecessary and rude, but, for my part, i discount you and your opinions when you do so. if you are bothering to post here in order to share ideas and potentially impact people's lives, your name-calling is counter productive to your own goal as you have no influence when you participate in such activities.

i hope you take this into account in the future.

Godot 9 years, 6 months ago

Jones is the one with the political agenda. A person who goes to the press to "out" a business owner with the intent to damage that person's business, just because of a disagreement with the business person's point of view, is vengeful, not helpful. Note that the business owner has not said anything negative about Jones.

Ember 9 years, 6 months ago

Here's a neat, spiffy idea.

How's about we let every single pregnant person decide for themselves whether or not to get an abortion, have the little crotch fruit and raise it or give it up for adoption after delivery?

Is it really that drastic that we have to sit down and dictate what people can and can't do with their own body?

Sheesh.

Is there honestly something wrong with letting people decide to think for themselves?

Did we somewhere along the way lose the ability for cognitive thought and rationalizing our environments?

Did we all go back to being 5 years old and need mommy and daddy to wipe our noses and hold our hands when we cross the street?

Why don't we just turn back the clock and take a few more options away from women, like, say.... voting? Working as an executive in a company?

It IS a woman's rights issue, and frankly, more power to them. It was wrong to tell them that they could be citizens but have no say in anything. It was wrong to tell them that they weren't worth as much, in any sense of the concept, as a man.

It's just as wrong to tell them that they cannot be allowed to decide what to do with their own bodies.

I admit to being a chauvenist pig once in a while, but I draw the line at dictating someone's life. I think the rest of you should really stop and think for a few minutes.

In terms of women's rights, is it fair and equitable to tell a woman that she can vote like a man, work like a man, but can't make decisions about her body like a man?

Sounds pretty nasty in that light, doesn't it?

DuQuesne 9 years, 6 months ago

I say again: Women should have full, autonomous, and unabridgeable rights with regard to their own reproductive health and capacity as soon as they acquire the ability to become pregnant. I am absolutely aghast that anyone has the audacity to openly discuss what rights women shall be allowed and under what conditions. A woman's right to self determination should be inscribed on fine parchment in gold letters, tied up in a velvet ribbon and presented to her upon her approach to adulthood with no questions and no demands. Further, as soon as medical science advances sufficiently, a functional uterus should be transplanted into every man who thinks he has anything to say about this issue.

Praise Jeebus.

-Schuyler Duquesne

DuQuesne 9 years, 6 months ago

Further, I nominate "Brother Phelps" as the first transplant recipient.

• Schuyler DuQuesne