Archive for Thursday, December 22, 2005

Jim Ryun seeks leadership position

U.S. Representative eyes chairmanship of House Budget Committee

December 22, 2005

In a move that would propel him into the ranks of congressional leadership, U.S. Rep. Jim Ryun is seeking the chairmanship of the House Budget Committee.

"It's an opportunity to rein in government and provide savings," said Ryun, R-Kan. He represents the state's 2nd Congressional District, which includes the west half of Lawrence.

Ryun has served three terms on the committee, which sets taxing and spending goals for the federal government. House chairs generally have the power to set the agendas for their committees.

Paul E. Johnson, a Kansas University political science professor, said the committee had its greatest influence in the 1990s, when the first Bush and Clinton administrations were seeking to balance the federal budget.

In recent years, Johnson said, the federal deficit has ballooned - federal spending is expected to outpace revenues by nearly $1.6 trillion over the next five years - while budget committee guidelines have been ignored.

"The committee chairman is important because (he or she) sets out the framework in which the appropriations process occurs," Johnson said, "but the targets the budget committee makes are not vigorously enforced."

Ryun said he hopes to bring back discipline to the federal budget process.

"I believe I can carry the message," he said. "I believe in fiscal responsibility. We need to look out for the interests of this country and make sure (the budget) is well-planned and well-spent."

Also on the House Budget Committee: U.S. Rep. Dennis Moore, D-Kan., who represents the east half of Lawrence. Moore was out of the country Wednesday and unavailable for comment.

Ryun doesn't have a clear path to the post. The Hill, a Washington, D.C., newspaper, reported that U.S. Rep. Ander Crenshaw, R-Fla., also is seeking the job.

"The decisions we make have an impact on families and businesses," he said. "Those will all indirectly and directly affect Kansas constituents."

Comments

Scott Tichenor 11 years, 8 months ago

Jim Ryun and his Tom Delay money. Another reason to be proud of our represented leaders of this state.

"The position, Ryun said, doesn't carry direct benefits to Kansas but is important, nonetheless."

coldandhot 11 years, 8 months ago

Jim Ryun is a good man with integrity. He is the kind of person we need in Washington.

cowboy 11 years, 8 months ago

Mr Worthless , is this clown up for re=election in 06 ?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 11 years, 8 months ago

Ryun might be one of the few in Washington who could make Dubya look intellectual. I wonder if Rove will make him his next puppet project after Dubya's term expires.

born1980 11 years, 8 months ago

There are three types of people in Washington: Leaders, mavericks, and the leftovers. Jim Ryun clearly is in the third group, along with 95% of Congress. He is a person who shows up, gives a prewritten speech from time to time, and does everything he can not be to noticed. He is basically one of the last remaining Bush rubber stamps.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 11 years, 8 months ago

More "bounceback" argumentation from Kevin. Where did you learn that? I'm still trying to figure out if it was in the Marines or on the playground.

staff04 11 years, 8 months ago

I had a professor once who labeled Ryun "perhaps the single dumbest member of congress."

I have to say, after seeing him inaction, I'd say it is a toss-up between him and Don Sherwood (he's the one that was almost arrested for assaulting a call-girl in his D.C. apartment--oh, and he's married).

And, yes, I meant inaction.

badger 11 years, 8 months ago

The brightest thing about Ryun is the glare off his teeth.

I'd like government with competence, compassion, vision, and integrity.

Frankly, I'd settle for any one of those in any sort of abundance, right about now. And by 'abundance,' please understand I mean 'actual detectable presence.'

A candidate with two of those qualities might actually be a good leader - provided he didn't scare off voters by not being 'a regular guy.'

Y'know, most of the 'regular guys' I know are smart, honest, ethical, and pragmatic. Why are 'regular guy' politicians never any of these things?

I don't know that I'd trust anyone with DeLay ties to hold my piggybank, much less oversee the governmental purse strings.

Bruce Bertsch 11 years, 8 months ago

Great miler...less than mediocre representative.

BunE 11 years, 8 months ago

With representives like him, who needs a proctologist?

yourworstnightmare 11 years, 8 months ago

Ryun is obviously trying to secure his reelection, which could be trouble.

He scraped by last election by some clever gerrymandering with Moore's district.

Moore should have had Wyandotte and Johnson counties and south along the border. This traditional democratic area would have secured Moore's seat.

Ryun should have had all of Lawrence and all of Topeka, which is majority democratic and would have ousted Ryun.

Without gerrymandering, Kansas would have been represented by Moore, Boyda, Tiarht, and Moran.

It is moot I suppose, as kansas will likely lose a congressional seat after the next audit anyway.

badger 11 years, 8 months ago

prospector-

Actually, before the unexpected events that led to my departure (I fell in love with an out-of-stater, and after discussion it was pretty clear that I had fewer ties to uproot, since my family is spread all over, so I moved), I was researching the notion of a run for office in Lawrence.

I couldn't get very far in today's political world, as I've been and will continue to be very open about being pagan. I imagine that unless I were to move to a very liberal state, city office is the highest I could win. However, the new plan is to wait about five years to learn about the local politics and get to know the city, and then run for a mid-level city office here in Austin.

Here's hoping my inability to progress to the big-money seats keeps me honest, eh?

staff04 11 years, 8 months ago

Nightmare-- Just to clarify, Johnson County is heavily Republican. Now, Wyandotte County, which is in the Third Congressional District, votes heavily Democratically, as does Douglas County, half of which is in the Third. The Gerrymandering you speak of actually was originally an attempt to split the University into the 2nd District, which might have actually sunk Ryun last time around. What happened in reality, is that Democrats and the University successfully argued that the University would be better served to remain in the 3rd considering that it would be imprudent to have the 2 campuses served by different districts. SO, what happened was, as you may know, they split Lawrence basically down the middle of Iowa Street. Democrats who were originally horrified at the though of the precious Mecca Lawrence represented to them being split, may have actually gotten a blessing in disguise.

Think about this: West Lawrence has few students, more wealthy families, and bears a striking resemblance to Olathe and Overland park, aesthtically speaking. It also votes a lot like southern Johnson County. In retrospect, many, myself included believe that the move to Gerrymander the district, although illegal and unethical, backfired on the Republicans actually increased the Democratic strength of Moore's district by weaning off more Republican voters than Democrats.

My 2 cents for the afternoon.

staff04 11 years, 8 months ago

Oh, and I also meant to mention that the word around here is that he doesn't stand a snowball's chance in Hell of winning that Chairmanship. I suspect that Nightmare is right in the statement that he is trying to show some activity to show his district that he is actually doing something here. The Kansas delegation, with the exception of Brownback refer to the 2nd district as an empty seat. The guy doesn't have any respect from his own delegation, let alone the entire Republican Caucus!

yourworstnightmare 11 years, 8 months ago

staff04:

You make good points. The outer ring Jo Co suburbs (e.g. Olathe) are indeed staunchly republican. The inner burbs, such as OP, Lenexa, PV, are republican but tend to vote for democrats when paired against an extremist republican. South of JoCo to Oklahoma is mining country, which tends to be democratic because of the unions (or at least used to be).

The gerrymandering helped Moore's reelection, but it saved Ryun's.

Steve Jacob 11 years, 8 months ago

I wonder what the congressional map will look like in 8 years, if Kansas losses another seat. Anyway, Ryan should never lose a Kansas election, the last election, someone actually spent money and still lost by a good amount.

Scott Tichenor 11 years, 8 months ago

I'm the guy that posted at 6:10 a.m. this morning. Interesting to see that apparently there's a small group of people that gather on every politcal thread and throw pies at each other.

You'll notice another article in today's paper that Brownback is in the process of giving back his money that came from Abramoff and Scanlon. While I'm no Brownback admirer, at least he's honest or smart enough to do the right thing. Ryun (not Ryan as some have spelled it) has already said he has no intention of ever giving back any Delay monies.

He has one of the most conservative voting records of any representavie in the country. What Jim is really all about is pushing an ultra-conservative extremist religious agenda. Apparently his religious beliefs approve of money laundering and illegal contributions. What an interesting religion.

Scott Tichenor 11 years, 8 months ago

That previous post is interesting. Nothing to do with the discussion at hand. Apparently the LJWorld sand box isn't big enough to play it so this individual looks for a place to scratch the sand anywhere possible before depositing his presents.

The fact remains, Jim Ryun's political bank account is financially wealthy, but he himself is morally bankrupt.

Richard Heckler 11 years, 8 months ago

Nugget is on to something. Ryun talks about his dislike for big government yet his retirement benefits grow and grow. Quitting a few years back would have been doing taxpayers a favor. He like Bush is not very good at his job. Anyone who supports Bush as Ryun has needs to be sent packin...

Simply put Ryun is not good for democracy.