Archive for Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Leader’s experience still being questioned

December 21, 2005

— Bob Corkins continues to face questions about whether he's qualified to be education commissioner and whether he's getting paid too much.

Corkins, starting his third month as commissioner, found himself defending his background during a meeting with teachers, administrators and interested citizens Monday at Hutchinson High School.

He is the state's first top school administrator in more than 80 years not to have served as a local superintendent first. Before the State Board of Education hired him, he had run two small conservative research organizations, opposing large increases in school funding and advocating vouchers and other school choice initiatives.

"Just because I don't have an education degree doesn't mean I don't have the appropriate skill set for the job," Corkins told his audience at Hutchinson High. "No person running any agency is running a one-man show."

But Hutchinson resident Art Henry said he wonders why the state board thinks it's wise to hire Corkins and pay him far more than the governor. Corkins' salary is $140,000, compared with less than $104,000 for Sebelius.

Board member Ken Willard, a Hutchinson Republican, defended the salary, noting it was slightly less than what the former education commissioner, Andy Tompkins, received when he left the job in May. Willard added that many commissioners have earned more than the governor.

Corkins was hired by the board's 6-4 conservative majority, including Willard, who said he's disappointed public meetings with Corkins have become adversarial.

"Ordinarily," Willard said, "you would think people in education would be open to new ideas."

But Corkins has upset many educators by pushing proposals designed to allow more charter schools and to create vouchers, giving parents of at-risk and special education students $5,600 a year and allowing them to send their children to the school of their choice, public or private.

Comments

Sandman 9 years ago

Talk about beating a dead horse.

I can just picture the reporters in the LJW newsroom:

"Hey, it's a slow news day.. how 'bout we write another story about Corkins!"

Richard Heckler 9 years ago

They should fire man and the board members that hired him for misappropriating funds. Hire a person in at the top salary with no experience? where does that happen? This is an obvious scam. The few that hired him do not have good money skills just like GW Bush who just happens on the same page.

Andy Topkins had experience and had been there awhile.

If aboloishing the SBOE is the only way to get rid of these radicals I say go for it. That would be a good move for economic development.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years ago

"Why not just say that the entire lot are robbers and thieves who will steal the taxpayer blind???!!!!!"

You're just pi**ed off because you aren't getting your fair share, aren't you, Marion?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years ago

Will you officiate, Bob? You'd need to stand at a point equidistant on a straight line between us.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years ago

It's one thing to observe it, and a whole other thing to get hit by it. I'm a pretty good shot, so you probably wouldn't have to worry about an errant dung-missile from me, but Marion has proven to spew it pretty indiscriminantly.

Jamesaust 9 years ago

Rumor has it that Corkins may not be staying in the position of Commissioner all that long!!!

Corkins may have a big opportunity to pursue his life-long dream of appearing as a leading man on the big screen. A superbusy schedule has prompted Tom Cruise to drop out of a a film project that had him opposite of Angelina Jolie. The Hollywood studios immediately called Corkins, indicating they were quite impressed with his ability to b/s his way into his current acting position.

Corkins reportedly remained non-committal about the movie offer, indicating he had many irons in the fire right now, including practicing for his effort to win a gold medal in the luge competition at the February 2006 Olympics in Turin, Italy. Should he win, Corkins would be the first medal winner to place who had never actually competed in the sporting event prior to the Olympic Games. Additional detail may be found here: http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/OlympicGames/sport_ed_atleti/slittino.html

christie 9 years ago

Why I've never served on a School Board either.

I'm offering my services as education commissioner for 1/2 of Corkins salary. I do not want any health benefits nor do I want any retirement benefits. I will drive my own car and pay all expenses associated with the job.

This is a firm offer.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years ago

Well, I'd be willing to replace Bill Self for 1/10 of his salary, and I guarantee we'd get more wins per dollar than he currently brings in.

badger 9 years ago

Is a boor hog a really rude hog that hits on all the ladies at the party and makes socially inappropriate comments in between belches and ethnic slurs?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years ago

You got the first name right. I'm really Clark Kent.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years ago

And you know what? The cell-phone phenomenon is putting this country in grave danger, but only because of my inherent modesty.

Bob Forer 9 years ago

How the hell is Marion. And who invited him?

9 years ago

A "one-man think tank".

I think that about says it all about Mr. Corkins.

BOE 9 years ago

Posted by badger

=== :) Gotta swear off simultaneous soft drinks and LJ reader comments when badger and o_m_b are on board.

From LOL to woe, my letter to Santa already sent and no request for a new keyboard.