Archive for Thursday, December 15, 2005

Two arrested in connection with planned robbery

December 15, 2005

Thanks to a tip, a planned robbery of a Eudora convenience store was foiled Wednesday night, Lawrence police reported today.

Police said Lawrence detectives and Eudora police arrested two Lawrence people on conspiracy to commit robbery of the Casey's Convenience Store at 10th and Church streets in Eudora.

Lawrence police said they received a tip about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, and detectives began investigating and set up surveillance.

Detectives made the arrest at 8:15 p.m. Wednesday after they saw the two people approaching Casey's, police said.

Those arrested were a 28-year-old man and a 35-year-old woman, both of whom gave the Lawrence Salvation Army shelter as their address.

They were both booked into Douglas County jail, and were still there this morning, awaiting formal charges expected later today.

Comments

lonelyboy 9 years ago

I think they should make them live in cardboard box on the sidewalk at the store with a sign that reads " I tried to rob this store and all I got was this lousy box " ...

Raider 9 years ago

Well, if the police made the arrest as the two were approaching Casey's, then what do they really have on these guys? One bum gets mad at another set of bums, he calls the cops and tells them the couple is going to rob a convenience store. Cops show up and arrest the two as they're walking down the street. What crime has been committed? Is there some sort of proof of this conspiracy? This whole story is just hysterical.

Steve Jacob 9 years ago

If they did not have a weapon, I bet they are not even charged, unless they have a record. Probally better they get stopped before the robbery and not charged then catch them in the act. Even if they are not charged, I'm guessing the police will run them out of town.

monkeywrench1969 9 years ago

Innocent until proven guilty right. There has to be more to this story than is being printed. If the cops caught them before it happened they should get kudos and a pat on the back for once.

I am sure there is more to this than what is printed in this story.

This was problably a boring story for Weslander because neither of these people led LHS to a fourth place victory in any sport.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years ago

Raider, are you saying the cops should have waited for them to produce a weapon before getting involved? Is there some point in waiting for all hell to break loose? Why were "residents" of Lawrence's S.A. shelter doing their "shopping" at Casey's in Eudora? You make it sound as if there is nothing suspicious about that. The fact that the narc bum was correct about the time and place tells you that YES, they were involved in criminal activity.

Even if no charges can be filed because they didn't "do" anything, this is still good police work: a crime prevented is better than a crime solved.

Aiko 9 years ago

The fact they were targeting that horrible Casey's in Eudora says it all. What a couple of bafoons!

jayhawks71 9 years ago

Of course there is more to this story than what is printed and those of you concluding that they were arrested as they approached the store are filling in the blanks with whatever you want to believe.

The story says "Detectives made the arrest at 8:15 p.m. Wednesday AFTER they saw the two people approaching Casey's, police said." When afterward? After they opened the door? After they made a threat? After they brandished a weapon? After they walked out with pockets full of cash?

Isn't conspiracy to commit armed robbery a crime? And I have to agree with OE2B for once.... should they have waited until someone was injured in the process? Don't police cars typically say "to serve and protect" ? (yes, they typically don't do that, but this is a case where they are doing as advertised!)

Raider 9 years ago

What I'm saying is that by arresting them when they approched, there is nothing that will stick. If the Keystones wanted to do it right, they should have put an undercover officer behind the counter of Casey's and let the bums try to rob them. Now, they (cops) will be accused of false arrest, harassment, etc etc. Where is the proof that these two were going to try something? There is nothing to file charges on now, and these two get to go back on the street.

badger 9 years ago

You know, I don't think the cops can just walk up to you and say, "You're under arrest because I think you want to rob this convenience store." You have to be doing something. I'm pretty sure that you have to be arrested for something you did, not something you were going to do. For example, if you hired a hit man, you don't get arrested for the murder, you get arrested for hiring a hit man.

So, if they got arrested, then there's a pretty good chance it was for something they had already done, like (as OldEnuf pointed out) a conspiracy charge. Perhaps one of them had a weapon. Perhaps upon review of their names, officers found that they had outstanding warrants. Maybe they were loitering, or littering. Something. You can't be arrested for trespassing in a store unless you've been told to leave, really, so it probably wasn't that.

I don't think it was botched by the cops. If they picked them up on conspiracy charges, or a weapons charge, and kept the store from being robbed, more power to them.

monkeywrench1969 9 years ago

Raider

You need an education on the Weslander stories. The less text in the story, the more likely the cops did right and have an awesome case. He hates to pat them onthe back for a job well done. There is nothing about former LHS athletics or "Racism" or "police claim" this or "police allege that" or no anarchist quotes backing a conspiracy to keep the man down.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years ago

Raider: Man, you crack me up! You read three paragraphs in a LJ-World article and think that you're Johnnie Cochran. How do YOU know what proof the cops have? Were you there? How do you know that it was a "bum" that called it in? Let me guess...you're the same person that thinks you could have quarterbacked the team better, driven the race car faster, or been the one to make the winning basket?

lonesome_breeze 9 years ago

Hong Kong Phooey...You are funny, and no doubt right. Raider is a knee-jerker whom is uniformed. Jayhawk71, I have followed your posts for months. You are an LPD basher and never miss a chance to badmouth them. I am frankly surprised you were as objective as you were on this post.

jenglish1 9 years ago

What nobody has mentioned is that they list the Lawrence Salvation Army as their address yet they are out in Eudora? Could they have gotten a ride and told that person hey we are gonna rob Casey's and that person called the cops? Makes sense to me- the police would have had to have some sort of description of these people to arrest them before they did anything

Sigmund 9 years ago

K.S.A 21-3302. Conspiracy. (a) A conspiracy is an agreement with another person to commit a crime or to assist in committing a crime. No person may be convicted of a conspiracy unless an overt act in furtherance of such conspiracy is alleged and proved to have been committed by such person or by a co-conspirator.

It's my understanding that any overt act, like walking to a location where the illegal activity is to occur, is enough for conviction even if the overt act by itself is legal. Contrast this with an attempt which involves a failed illegal act like pulling a gun and demanding money but being stopped before the money is taken.

All in all conspiracy allows the police to arrest much earlier and still convict without having to wait for illegal acts to occur (other than the agreement) which may endanger the victims, police, or even the criminals.

jayhawks71 9 years ago

lonesome, clearly you are one of those who fills in blanks with false information. For a moment, you had me... had I been "bashing" the LPD over the past few months? I looke through my posts back through the end of June and found your claim to be false.

My posts regarding police officers were limited to 1)police officers should not be allowed to use cell phones while driving IF citizens are also not allowed to use cell phones while driving (a bash???) 2)a post in defense of the police having no duty to PREVENT crime. If they prevent an additional crime (as they did here) then great, but they have no duty to do it (a bash?). 3) Another post suggested that it would be an abomination IF (did you see the word IF) police officers were not trained to use radar guns.

I have posted regarding Judge Martin, Paul Mirecki, David Shulenberger, (legislation such as banning flights from KC to Dallas Love Field and unattended-car-running laws), intelligent design and science in the classroom, the smoking ban, stupidity (standing out on ledges, falling then suing the University of Kansas) and misrepresentation of my statements of those of other people.

Go ahead, look at the facts. I will gladly continue to bash liars and embellishers.

Centrist 9 years ago

... just wait til they shove even more "sheltered" people into Lawrence as is planned ... will my house be next? Will they have guns? Thank you, bleeding hearts for ruining this potentially wonderful town.

jayhawks71 9 years ago

Sigmund, I think you are right on with your assessment of the statute. I sat on a jury that had a conspiracy charge brought before it. Indeed, pretty much anything after the agreement to commit the crime that "furthered" the committing of the crime was fair game. The agreement didn't have to even be overt (no testimony of two people saying "yeah let's do it), rather it could be implicit.

Bobo Fleming 9 years ago

My question is " Why go to Eudora?" The last time I looked there were plenty of places to rob in Lawrence. Some in walking distance of the Salvation Army. What is the attraction of the Casey store in Eudora? Must be those two day old slices of pizza .

jackmofo 9 years ago

I say let them steal Eudoran dollars as long as they spend them in the local Lawrence economy.

lonesome_breeze 9 years ago

Ok Jayhawks_71 ...I went off half-cocked and apparently grossly misinformed. I guess I got you confused with someone elso. My most sincere apology... Mea culpa.

Richard Heckler 9 years ago

At least for now they will be warm with meals... not a bad plan.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years ago

If you drive by the SA shelter, you'll notice that a number of the people there have cars.

My guess is that they thought that by robbing a place in Eurdora, they are less likely to be suspects.

Rufus: "Nah, man. I didn't rob no CASEY'S. I was right here in front of the SA smoking a doob when that happened. Isn't that right, Cletus?" Cletus: "Yup."

I think it'll be interesting to see what the "pro-shelter" people do about our issues in Lawrence related to the homeless. They are increasingly ujnder the gun to demonstrate the value of their efforts. If all they can do is show that a lot of unproductive drinkers and dopers are being fed for not working and trying to improve their situation, then I say "shut them DOWN" and return our neighborhoods to the citizens.

jayhawks71 9 years ago

I wonder what percentage of crimes are committed by people with places to live. I am going to be that most of them are.

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

this thread is amazing!

assumtions.

Raider, put a lid on it man/woman! in a short amount of time you'll get some answers I think.

LPD does have more, very good evidence, well documented. no, I'm not just supporting my local sherrif, as the saying goes.

and, it was good work by lpd, nobody got hurt, even the homeless dregs.

now, we want more homeless in here for our wonderful "lawrence cares" services to the homeless?

jayhawks71 9 years ago

bearded, you seem negative toward the assumptions. I would concur with your negativity. However, am I reading something into your last statement or are you stereotyping the homeless as robbers?

angie99 9 years ago

I dont understand how you guys continue to bash Eudora? Did it ever occur to you that maybe there was a family inside of the store with children that had to witness it? Why don't you Eudora bashers get the facts from them instead of making judgement?

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

Jayhawks: I am indeed casting aspersions [sp?} on the assumtions above RE the work of the LPD.

however, in answer to your question, we do know that a higher proportion of the homeless have criminal records and are more likely to commit crime than the general public. concentration of the homeless, concentration of crime.
and, does our local law enforcement check them, I doubt it, so how many are actually wanted persons in other jurisdictions? wish they did check their identities more closely before they got services in lawrence.