Archive for Thursday, December 15, 2005

Police search for white-bearded, elderly bank robber

December 15, 2005

Security camera footage of the bank robber.

Security camera footage of the bank robber.

Lawrence Police say they are searching this afternoon for a white-bearded elderly man who robbed the US Bank at 1807 W. 23rd St.

According to Police Sgt. Dan Ward, the man, described as being in his 70s, wearing a denim jacket, baseball cap and a long, white beard, jumped behind the bank counter and left with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Police received the first call about the robbery at 3:52 p.m., Ward said.

The man then fled on foot, police said. According to witnesses there, the man never displayed a weapon during the robbery.

Ward said the robber was seen heading toward the Hobby Lobby, which is directly east of the bank. Police searched the store, but found no indication that the robber went in, Ward said. Police then searched through the surrounding neighborhood, Ward said.

The bank is closed and is surrounded by yellow police tape as officers continue to investigate.

Police ask that anyone with information regarding this robbery call 843-TIPS, an anonymous tip line.

Comments

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

How often do you hear of bank robbers being described as 'nimble'?

I am glad no one was hurt.

I am also glad I'm not the only one who thought Santa'd picked up a second gig...

spammer89 9 years, 4 months ago

Even Santa has fallen on hard time it seams.

Steve Jacob 9 years, 4 months ago

Do you know why banks get robbed alot? How many times have you seen a guard at a bank? Go to Target or Dillions, they got guards.

Ragingbear 9 years, 4 months ago

Ok, I just tried calling that TIPS line, and the number has been disconnected. My guess is because they won't give out the rewards the post.

italianprincess 9 years, 4 months ago

I guess with the gas prices going up again, Santa needed a little extra cash this year.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, Santa I thought you had a list of naughty and nice kids? You are not being very good yourself now are you.

I'm happy that no one hurt.

italianprincess 9 years, 4 months ago

You know what............I think Marion is right about this one.

A 70 year old man jumping the counter is kind of odd. Unless he belongs to a gym and works out daily I bet who ever robbed this bank was wearing a disguise.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 4 months ago

I bet he got away with very little money compared to the risk. Robbing banks is not worth it. People usually don't get much money, the money is "tainted" and they very often get caught. And, it's a very FEDERAL offense. Stooooopid.

Everyone knows that the real money is at Casey's in Eudora. Cha-Ching, baby.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 4 months ago

His getaway car was a big pickup truck with a guy behind the wheel wearing a red visor. He yelled "in God do we trust" as they sped off.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 4 months ago

The old man was wearing a LHS basketball jersey.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 4 months ago

US Bank robbed THEMSELVES just to get the attention. They made up the story.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 4 months ago

The robber demanded the money with a letter he handed to the teller. It was printed on letterhead from the college of Liberal Arts and Sciences at KU, not on his usual Old Man letterhead.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 4 months ago

D@mned religious right! Now they are robbing banks to fund their ID-ologies.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 4 months ago

Have I left anything out? Have I failed to rip any of the usual suspects or bring out any of the usual theories? Good, we can all go home now.

ModerateOne 9 years, 4 months ago

And out by the teller there arose such a clatter The bankers came out to see what was the matter

When what to their wondering eyes should appear, A greedy Saint Nicholas, saying "Put it all in here"

Then with a flick of his nose and a big North Pole smile, He ran out the back door, then south for a mile.

And as he moved quickly out of their sight He said: "Mirecki's a kook, but so is the Right."

Sigmund 9 years, 4 months ago

ModerateOne- I giggled like a school girl! Thanks

Ragingbear 9 years, 4 months ago

I think I know this guy. He is actually pre-maturely old, and actually quite tough for his age and height. But I can't be sure. A good disguise is what is needed to pull off a bank job like this and get away with it.

classclown 9 years, 4 months ago

Old guy huh? Did they think to look in the building that used to be Furrs?

Ragingbear 9 years, 4 months ago

I love how the only picture we get is where half of the guy is off camera. Not to mention, why do these bank cameras tend to be so cheap and grainy? You would think that for security, they would spend and extra $100 for a better camera.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

Marion: "sally" where's that?

MODErateone: FoR LOL LOL! very good work!

and just to be clear, my beard, though long, is not anywhere near that color. and tiffany or bambi would not mistake me for 70.
thanks.

CommonSense4All 9 years, 4 months ago

Santa??? No way! It sounds more like good 'ole Father Time is having one last ride before that bastard Baby New Year gets all the glory. He only has 16 days left, poor guy.

DGL 9 years, 4 months ago

In re Ragingbear's post: the footage is grainy because they re-use the same tapes over and over. It's not the cameras.

Tele 9 years, 4 months ago

I was actually sitting outside the bank in my car when this happened. A friend of mine was inside doing something. She said the robber had to try twice to pull the lady away from her cash register, then she pretty much stepped back and let him have the money. I saw him run out the front door. Actually, it was more like a slow jog, which is why I didn't think much of it. No one came to the front door, or opened the door to see which way the guy went (something you'd think bank employees, or anyone else would have done if their bank had just been robbed). So I had no idea the place had just been robbed. I only thought it slightly odd that a guy was slowly jogging across the bank lawn. Anyways, he went out of view around the side of the building. I waiting in my car about another 5-10 minutes, wondering what was taking my friend so long, then a police officer drove up and asked if I had seen anything odd. I said "Noooo... not rea... Oh yeah, a guy ran out the front door a little while ago."

Tele 9 years, 4 months ago

Oh, and oddly enough, when the police asked me how old he looked, I said mid-30's to 40's. Admittedly, I have a dirty windshield and bad eyes. My friend said that everyone else inside was saying he was 60. Also, I said the guy was tall and skinny.. around 6 foot. My friend said she told the police 5'3"! She said he was hunched over though, and didn't really get to see his height. I thought it was crazy how much those details varied though.

Ragingbear 9 years, 4 months ago

If he was 6 foot or something, then this was not the guy I thought it may be. The guy I know is like 4'10 or something.

This is among many reasons why I pulled my account at US bank a few years ago. They have a policy of being placid about robberies.