Archive for Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Regents leader a candidate for dean of law school

Reggie Robinson has worked in D.C. and as KU instructor

December 14, 2005

Reggie Robinson, president of the Kansas Board of Regents, is in the running for dean of Kansas University's Law School.

Robinson is among four candidates vying for the post vacated by Steve McAllister, who stepped down in August.

The other candidates are Gary Simson, law professor and former associate dean for academic affairs at Cornell University in New York, and John Gotanda, associate dean for research, a law professor and director of the J.D./M.B.A. program at Villanova University in Pennsylvania.

In his letter to the search committee, Robinson outlined his leadership qualifications and his strong ties with the university and the state.

He said he believes his experiences would enable him to strengthen the school's connection with the profession and give it a higher profile nationally.

Robinson, a Lawrence resident, received his undergraduate and law degrees from KU. He has been an intern for Sen. Bob Dole and a law clerk for Deanell Reece Tacha, chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. He was a faculty member in KU's law school from 1988 to 1993.

He spent time in Washington, D.C., serving in such posts as special assistant to the U.S. attorney general, deputy assistant attorney general and consultant with the U.S. Justice Department.

He returned to KU in 1998 to teach and serve as policy adviser to KU Chancellor Robert Hemenway. He has been president and chief executive officer of the Regents since 2002. His base salary is $151,000.

Regent Dick Bond, who is listed as a reference on Robinson's resume, said Robinson has done well dealing with the many egos - of school leaders and regents - he must face and working with the Legislature.

"I think he's been very well-received in the Legislature on both sides of the aisle," Bond said.

Robinson visited KU's campus this week. Another candidate, who has not been announced, also is expected to visit this week.

Comments

Terry Bush 9 years, 8 months ago

Reggie is a great person and attorney, & I know he'd be wonderful at anything he tries. However, has anyone asked him if he WANTS the job of Dean at the Law School? After all, as the Regents President he is basically over ALL the Universities and all of their Departments. Anyone know how LONG the Dean at KU law typically keeps that job? My memory is failing, but it seems like they change deans every 2-3 years....

avhjmlk 9 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, but he could do a LOT for KU Law. There's a lot of negativity among minority law students right now, and bringing a bright, successful, and all-around great guy (who happens to be black) in as the dean will do a lot for the morale of all of the students. He'd be a welcome, fresh change.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 8 months ago

Reggie would be awesome, and yes he did apply for the job just like the other candidates.

Wendt, I prefer choosing a local person, especially when they are as qualified as Reggie is. Just because they are from another university doesn't mean they are better qualified. I take big offense to your statements.

avhjrightonmlk - you said it! He would be a great fit even if he was green!

Linda Aikins 9 years, 8 months ago

"Cornell and Villanova are more prestigious than KU. After firing someone from Harvard, we need all the help we can get to repair the damage."

Are you trying to influence us to turn our backs on very qualified locals just because a few have turned out to be bad apples?

Jamesaust 9 years, 8 months ago

Robinson is immensely qualified - going from success to success - and would do excellent work at KU, especially with the one qualification money can never buy - likeability.

avhjmlk 9 years, 8 months ago

Jamesaust--you hit the nail on the head! It's nearly impossible NOT to like Reggie. I'm always amazed that someone with as much intelligence, amazing experience, and obvious success as Reggie can remain so level-headed, humble, and genuine. He's just an all-around great dude.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 8 months ago

Actually no I won't. Out of personal like and tremendous professional respect for Reggie, our conversation is through.

Pick Reggie! Pick Reggie!

avhjmlk 9 years, 8 months ago

Maybe it's just me, but if they don't pick Reggie, it'll require a lot of explaining...

avhjmlk 9 years, 8 months ago

...because I've read the resumes of the other two candidates that have been announced so far, and don't see anything on them that impresses me any more than Reggie's.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 8 months ago

avhjverygoodobservationsmlk - I agree on both posts. Let's cross our fingers!

avhjmlk 9 years, 8 months ago

wendt--I hope you don't think I saw anything private, because I didn't. They're available online. I haven't read the one for the person listed after Reggie.

avhjmlk 9 years, 8 months ago

I'm not involved in the hiring process.

avhjmlk 9 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, sorry if I gave the impression that I was on the hiring committe. THAT would be a laugh!

One of the other LJW articles (last week, maybe) about the CLAS dean opening had a link to the provost's website where they're posted. That's where I saw them.

hawkbygod 9 years, 8 months ago

"I'm real surprised they posted the resumes locally."

They wanted students/faculty/alums to have a good grasp on the candidates' backgrounds before they arrived on campus. Placing the resumes online is an effort to encourage more student involvement. Because the names were not released until 24 hrs prior to the candidate's arrival, the appropriate groups needed adequate time to acclimate themselves. I am not involved with the hiring, but I have kept an eye on the process.

Sigmund 9 years, 8 months ago

Firing someone from Harvard, who is not doing a good job, ought to be considered intelligent. If you look at Reggie Robinson's resume and accomplishments he is more than qualified. When I knew him he was well liked by both the faculty and the students at the Law school. He would make an outstanding Dean.

Sigmund 9 years, 8 months ago

Wendt- Please do not misrepresent what I said. If one performs or acts badly in a position they need to be fired, no matter how many degrees (or how few) and regardless of who first points up their failings. That is the case with both Mirecki and the former Dean of the Law School. It is sad that your positions so weak that you must purposely misstate opposing arguements in order to attempt to persuade others or worse, yourself.