Archive for Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Regents leader a candidate for dean of law school

Reggie Robinson has worked in D.C. and as KU instructor

December 14, 2005

Reggie Robinson, president of the Kansas Board of Regents, is in the running for dean of Kansas University's Law School.

Robinson is among four candidates vying for the post vacated by Steve McAllister, who stepped down in August.

The other candidates are Gary Simson, law professor and former associate dean for academic affairs at Cornell University in New York, and John Gotanda, associate dean for research, a law professor and director of the J.D./M.B.A. program at Villanova University in Pennsylvania.

In his letter to the search committee, Robinson outlined his leadership qualifications and his strong ties with the university and the state.

He said he believes his experiences would enable him to strengthen the school's connection with the profession and give it a higher profile nationally.

Robinson, a Lawrence resident, received his undergraduate and law degrees from KU. He has been an intern for Sen. Bob Dole and a law clerk for Deanell Reece Tacha, chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. He was a faculty member in KU's law school from 1988 to 1993.

He spent time in Washington, D.C., serving in such posts as special assistant to the U.S. attorney general, deputy assistant attorney general and consultant with the U.S. Justice Department.

He returned to KU in 1998 to teach and serve as policy adviser to KU Chancellor Robert Hemenway. He has been president and chief executive officer of the Regents since 2002. His base salary is $151,000.

Regent Dick Bond, who is listed as a reference on Robinson's resume, said Robinson has done well dealing with the many egos - of school leaders and regents - he must face and working with the Legislature.

"I think he's been very well-received in the Legislature on both sides of the aisle," Bond said.

Robinson visited KU's campus this week. Another candidate, who has not been announced, also is expected to visit this week.

Comments

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

In the interest of "good" performance.

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

Sigmund:

Didn't misrepresent a thing.

You stated that Dr. Mirecki was not doing a good job.

I pointed out that his position was the equivalent to being the "best" professor in the Department of Religious Studies. He was the Head of the Department.

Dr. Mirecki held the position that Intelligent Design / Creationism was not science. He felt that people that held the erroneous view that Intelligent Design / Creationism is science were worthy of derision.

You feel this position, consistent with science, is indicative of poor performance.

Presumably, "Good" performance is to tell the Intelligent Designers / Creationists that they are correct, in defiance of all that science holds true.

Presumably, had you lived in the 1500's, you would have wanted Copernicus to maintain that the Sun orbited the Earth.

Sigmund 8 years, 4 months ago

Wendt- Please do not misrepresent what I said. If one performs or acts badly in a position they need to be fired, no matter how many degrees (or how few) and regardless of who first points up their failings. That is the case with both Mirecki and the former Dean of the Law School. It is sad that your positions so weak that you must purposely misstate opposing arguements in order to attempt to persuade others or worse, yourself.

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

Sigmund:

Mirecki was doing such a good job that they gave him tenure and made him the Head of the Department. He's been in that position for the last three years.

In the Department, he had advanced as far as he could go. He had nowhere else to go, except to Dean of a College.

It's amazing that a right wing Real Estate Agent from Bonner has more pull with you than a PhD.

Sigmund 8 years, 4 months ago

Firing someone from Harvard, who is not doing a good job, ought to be considered intelligent. If you look at Reggie Robinson's resume and accomplishments he is more than qualified. When I knew him he was well liked by both the faculty and the students at the Law school. He would make an outstanding Dean.

hawkbygod 8 years, 4 months ago

"I'm real surprised they posted the resumes locally."

They wanted students/faculty/alums to have a good grasp on the candidates' backgrounds before they arrived on campus. Placing the resumes online is an effort to encourage more student involvement. Because the names were not released until 24 hrs prior to the candidate's arrival, the appropriate groups needed adequate time to acclimate themselves. I am not involved with the hiring, but I have kept an eye on the process.

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm real surprised they posted the resumes locally.

Most people are smart enough to use the name and university of the candidate to go to that university's servers and read it. That is, if they are posted.

A lot of professors post their "cv's" ("resume" is so proletariat) on their faculty web space, but Dean level people rarely do.

avhjmlk 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, sorry if I gave the impression that I was on the hiring committe. THAT would be a laugh!

One of the other LJW articles (last week, maybe) about the CLAS dean opening had a link to the provost's website where they're posted. That's where I saw them.

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

Good.

I've been on hiring committees at KU and that's big no-no to mention the candidate's "anything" before selection.

avhjmlk 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm not involved in the hiring process.

avhjmlk 8 years, 4 months ago

wendt--I hope you don't think I saw anything private, because I didn't. They're available online. I haven't read the one for the person listed after Reggie.

Gootsie 8 years, 4 months ago

avhjverygoodobservationsmlk - I agree on both posts. Let's cross our fingers!

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

avhjmlk:

Don't say anything more about the hiring process.

avhjmlk 8 years, 4 months ago

...because I've read the resumes of the other two candidates that have been announced so far, and don't see anything on them that impresses me any more than Reggie's.

avhjmlk 8 years, 4 months ago

Maybe it's just me, but if they don't pick Reggie, it'll require a lot of explaining...

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

Gootsie:

"Refusing to understand" is different.

Dr. Robinson can clue you in on the difference.

If you are going to endorse someone, attempt to act like something other than a teenager. How you behave reflects on your endorsee.

If I can endorse Dr. Robinson three times and you're still mad at me, the problem doesn't lie with my reading skills.

Gootsie 8 years, 4 months ago

Actually no I won't. Out of personal like and tremendous professional respect for Reggie, our conversation is through.

Pick Reggie! Pick Reggie!

avhjmlk 8 years, 4 months ago

Jamesaust--you hit the nail on the head! It's nearly impossible NOT to like Reggie. I'm always amazed that someone with as much intelligence, amazing experience, and obvious success as Reggie can remain so level-headed, humble, and genuine. He's just an all-around great dude.

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

Gootsie:

I am sure that Reggie understood what I meant. I don't know why you persist in creating umbrage where none exists.

I am sure that Reggie could read my endorsement of him on this blog. Both times I made it.

You're seeking an argument with someone who agrees with you. Calm down.

KU (and the State of Kansas) has suffered significant damage due to the Intelligent Design / Creationism / Board of Education / Dr. Mirecki episodes.

My focus (as would be Dr. Robinson's) is the elevation of the University on the National stage. Politically, this would be a good time to make a gesture towards the mainstream. We are moving towards Bob Jones University land and we don't want to do that.

I will repeat for the second time: Reggie would make a good "anything" on campus. If he wants to be Dean of the Law School, he would be a good choice.

Well, maybe not "anything / every position", but hopefully you get my meaning.

If you don't, I'm sure you'll let me know.

Jamesaust 8 years, 4 months ago

Robinson is immensely qualified - going from success to success - and would do excellent work at KU, especially with the one qualification money can never buy - likeability.

Gootsie 8 years, 4 months ago

"Cornell and Villanova are more prestigious than KU. After firing someone from Harvard, we need all the help we can get to repair the damage."

Are you trying to influence us to turn our backs on very qualified locals just because a few have turned out to be bad apples?

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

Gootsie:

I'm just influenced by the amount of prestige we've lost by listening to the "local people".

When we make decisions regarding University direction based upon what a right wing Real Estate agent from Bonner or a female State Senator (who believes that the nineteenth amendment should be overturned) want, I'm sure that Reggie would agree that the influence of the "local element" needs to attenuated.

I'm sure that he understood the basis for my argument.

I'll repeat: Reggie would do a good job, no question. I'm comfortable with him as Dean.

Gootsie 8 years, 4 months ago

Reggie would be awesome, and yes he did apply for the job just like the other candidates.

Wendt, I prefer choosing a local person, especially when they are as qualified as Reggie is. Just because they are from another university doesn't mean they are better qualified. I take big offense to your statements.

avhjrightonmlk - you said it! He would be a great fit even if he was green!

avhjmlk 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, but he could do a LOT for KU Law. There's a lot of negativity among minority law students right now, and bringing a bright, successful, and all-around great guy (who happens to be black) in as the dean will do a lot for the morale of all of the students. He'd be a welcome, fresh change.

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't doubt that Reggie would do a good job. Not saying that. I'm sorry if it got interpreted that way.

I didn't know this position wasn't something he sought.
You might have some insight that the rest of us do not.

You're right. As President of the Regents, he's about as powerful as anyone can get. Technically, he's over Chancellor Hemenway without the day to day duties.

Am I correct?

Terry Bush 8 years, 4 months ago

Reggie is a great person and attorney, & I know he'd be wonderful at anything he tries. However, has anyone asked him if he WANTS the job of Dean at the Law School? After all, as the Regents President he is basically over ALL the Universities and all of their Departments. Anyone know how LONG the Dean at KU law typically keeps that job? My memory is failing, but it seems like they change deans every 2-3 years....

wendt 8 years, 4 months ago

We've got guys applying from Cornell University and Villanova !

Cool ! Let's pick one of them.