Archive for Saturday, December 10, 2005

More charges await suspect in arson

December 10, 2005

Prosecutors say they're planning to file more charges against the man accused of setting the deadly Boardwalk Apartments fire.

In a hearing Friday in District Court, Assistant Dist. Atty. Amy McGowan said prosecutors were still looking into injuries suffered by people who survived the fire.

"There will be more charges coming prior to preliminary hearing," McGowan told Judge Jack Murphy.

Jason Allen Rose, 20, already has been charged with three counts of murder and one count of aggravated arson for the Oct. 7 fire, which destroyed a block-long building at Boardwalk Apartments in the 500 block of Fireside Drive.

The fire killed Kansas University student Nicole Bingham, social worker Yolanda Riddle and electrician Jose Gonzalez, and injured or displaced dozens more residents.

Rose's preliminary hearing is scheduled for Feb. 22.

Judge Murphy denied a request Friday by Rose's attorneys to lower Rose's bond from $500,000. Attorney Ron Evans argued that Rose likely would be able to get one of his fast-food jobs back and could be supervised by his former foster parents - factors that Evans said would make him likely to appear in court and reduce the risk to public safety.

"I think Mr. Rose is a candidate to be released," Evans said.

But McGowan said her office opposed any reduction.

"He put a significant portion of the community at risk," she said.

Murphy denied the request, saying he didn't think $500,000 was excessive. He said he might revisit it after Rose's preliminary hearing.

Comments

Christine Anderson 9 years ago

Oh, heck no! Why should a suspect charged with such severe crimes get to walk around free? Notice I said suspect. IF, through a court of law this young man is found not guilty, then he can be released. What if he IS guilty, and would make bail. Is there not the risk that he may start another fire or commit other crimes while awaiting trial? I know how horribly hard it is to entertain the possibility that a former foster child, and fellow church member could be guilty of such things. Perhaps? this is what the former foster parents are thinking by volunteering to supervise Jason if he were out on bail? I'm sure they mean well, but the risk is just too great here. Far be it from me to name names here, but I would like to see the leadership of the church Mr. Rose attended desire to see the truth prevail, regardless of who that truth convicts or vindicates. Let's not have a repeat of the Marty Miller thing, where someone tells us to keep our mouths shut, even if we know something. Let's not coddle and hold the hand of a murderer, while we leave our congregation reeling in pain and without direction. Oops-have I hit a nerve?

enochville 9 years ago

I agree that he should not be free on bail. He probably suspects that he will be going to jail for a long time and may flee since he has no biological family ties here or do damage to society while he can. Who knows why he may have set that fire. Whatever may have prompted him then might prompt him again. I really don't see much harm in keeping him in jail now, and is not worth the risk in my opinion.

sweatpeagj 9 years ago

"Lets' noy have a repeat of the Marty Miller thing" WTF This case and Marty's are not relevant to each other. Trying to inflame your own moral sense on others is pretty barbaric don't you think? Maybe these people are acting like true Christians and supporting a fallen member of the church.. Judge lest not ye be judged..I guess you missed that one in your studies..People are such hypocrites..spout God's word on Sunday and forget the real meaning behind it every other day of the week.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years ago

It would probably be in Rose's best interests to stay in jail. If Mirecki got whupped for an email, imagine what would happen to Rose at the drive-thru to Taco Bell...

Ragingbear 9 years ago

For him, 500k might as well be 500 million. He ain't going anywhere.

Christine Anderson 9 years ago

Dear Sweatpeagj: I apologize for offending you. I guess I didn't say it very well. You are correct; this case and the Miller debacle are not the same thing. My comments were not meant to condemn folks who are actually trying to act like Christians. My words were directed specifically to any person or persons who forbid their congregation to talk about what they may have known. I'm talking about the horrible shock and pain of having one of your friends murdered, and not dealing with the effects of such a thing on your congregation. I'm talking about being more concerned with preserving one's political image than helping hurting people to heal. I fear that with Rose being charged with these crimes, a similar thing may happen; persons who, by virtue of being in the same church as the one accused, are in shock and hurting. I fear that once more, the top of the pyramid of leadership may drop the ball, and tell people not to talk about their grief, because "it wouldn't look good." I'm just saying that I feel it's not being very "sheparding" to "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil", and bury your head in the sand.

kansasfire911 9 years ago

I say let the little bastard out and we can give him some southern justice and be done with it.

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

would you want to be eating a tacowacko dinner he prepared?

there are still many things we do not know about why they charged him so quickly, etc.

much better: keep him in stir.

I do hope that the authorities have the right guy charged.

buffbonzai 9 years ago

I agree that he shouldn't be out and about, partially for his safety and mostly for the victims and the community. I'm not saying that he's innocent or guilty, I don't know enough info to make that call, but this event has effected too many people in this community to just let Rose out on bail. Even though nothing has yet been proven, it would be a slap in the face to all those who were hurt by the fire. Also, because of this, I have a feeling that Rose is much better off where members of the community can't get to him. And I doubt that a "tacowacko dinner" he prepared would be any worse than what other Taco Bell employees are serving you. Trust me, I have worked in fast food and there are so many other terrible things that can happen to your food than having a suspected arson cooking it. Plus, do you know how many convicted felons are working in our Lawrence fast food establishments?

maveric 9 years ago

As one of the fire victims myself, and since I can't replace everything I lost and can't afford Christmas and I am barely surviving I hope to hell he don't get out. If the system releases a murderer of 3 counts that shows you how Lawrence courts systems lacks professional skills and point blank don't care of what the victims feel, or what we had to go through that night of hell and horror if watching people jump from 3rd and 2nd story windows burnt, on fire and landing on the pavement below breaking many bones. Seeing this first hand myself wasn't pleasent and seeing Rose set free will be a disgrace in our court system, I leave this phrase as, what about us whom have nothin thanks to Rose and since I have no family and my life destroyed and I never get a Christmas because I have to defend this world alone, make Rose pay for his actions like he is making us pay. I thank the community for helping us with what you could and god bless and have yourselves a Merry Christmas and Happy New year.