Archive for Thursday, December 1, 2005

Nearly 200 dogs, cats taken in by local shelter

December 1, 2005

Nearly 200 dogs and cats were delivered to the Lawrence Humane Society on Wednesday and Thursday, all of them seized from a single residence in Miami County.

"We've taken in animals from the state before, but never 187 at once," said Director Midge Grinstead, who stayed up all Wednesday night with staffers processing 112 dogs and 75 cats into the society's shelter, which already held 720 other orphaned animals.

"It puts a lot of strain on the staff," Grinstead said Thursday afternoon. "We haven't been to bed yet - we've been here all night."

The animals came from a rural residence in southern Miami County, seized by the Kansas Animal Health Department. Officials with the department did not return calls Thursday, but Miami County Undersheriff Mark Schmidt said state workers executed a search warrant at the home at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. Schmidt said it took 24 hours to remove all the animals from the site.

Under state law, any home or facility housing 20 or more cats or dogs is considered a "shelter" and must be licensed by the state, subject to inspections.

Larry Carter, a rural Paola resident who lived nearby, was grateful Thursday that the "huge doghouse" had been evacuated. Carter said his neighbor steadily accumulated animals during the 11 years he has lived there.

"It's been years since it's been this quiet out here," Carter told the Journal-World on Thursday. "I'm still in shock about how nice it is already. There's six dogs or so there, now, but they don't bark at me anymore. I can listen to the birds instead of the dogs."

There was plenty of noise at the Lawrence Humane Society shelter, though. Some of the animals were in rough shape, Grinstead said, with mange afflicting some of the dogs.

"One of the cats died right after it got there," she said. "We had another dog in real bad shape - most of the cats are sick, very ill."

Lawrence was chosen as the delivery point for the animals because the shelter here had space, officials said. Under state law, the woman has 10 days to post a bond to pay for care of the animals, if she intends to challenge the state's seizure of them.

Carter said he doesn't want to see the animals returned to the owner.

"I know she loves dogs -- and I do too. But you can't take care of that many by yourself," Carter said.

And he added: "I hope you keep all them dogs. I hope you keep them and do a better job."

Comments

Steve Jacob 9 years, 2 months ago

I keep thinking of the cat lady on the SIMPSONS.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 2 months ago

Let me guess macon...you'd rather they kill them, right? Quite an animal lover you are.

Ragingbear 9 years, 2 months ago

Frank Drevin : And I say take those cats. Skin them, and use their fur to make coats for the homeless!

I love cats, I own one myself.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 2 months ago

Looks like we all need to dig into our pockets for the Humane Society. Thank you for caring!

Ragingbear 9 years, 2 months ago

My cat was rescued from the local Humane Society, and is a wonderful critter, even if she is a little snit. Although it saddened me when I went there. The lowest population of a 4 ft x 2.5 foot cage was 5 adult cats. Some had as many as 7. There was no room, and being such a cat lover, I knew that many of these cats would eventually be put to sleep. Sad.

People need to take responsibility. And 200 cats are easily noticed. 20 cats are easily noticed. So the neighbors should have said something, and done something years ago.

Sigmund 9 years, 2 months ago

Don't believe for a minute that virtually all of them will be "put to sleep" within 30 days, humanely of course!

Ragingbear 9 years, 2 months ago

I occassionally volunteer at the shelter. Time is not the factor on them being put to sleep. If they get sick too many times (I think it's 3 times) while they are there, they are considered sickly and put to sleep. The only problem is, that with that many animals in close proximity, it's just a disease factory. When I was there, over 90% of the cats had already been sick twice.

And I am sure they won't be making exceptions with such an increase in load.

Adopt a cat, there were many sweet things there.

pierced_daisy 9 years, 2 months ago

How can that person's neighbor not have known about 200 cats!? Additionally, I dont care if youre my neighbor and i love you to death....but if you have 200 cats you betcha i'd report it or do something about it. No one person in this world can effectively take care of 200 cats in a city dwelling.

And now the Humane society which is always overloaded with animals here in town has to deal with this issue. I cant even begin to imagine how many of these cats need to be fixed, have been sick forever etc. How can anyone afford vet costs for 200 cats?

Theres a special place in hell for people who do that to animals.

meggers 9 years, 2 months ago

ragingbear and pierced_daisy,

According to the article, most of the animals were dogs, not cats. That actually makes your points all the more valid, as dogs tend to be much more visible and vocal than cats. The neighbor should have filed a complaint long ago. Then again, maybe he assumed she had a kennel license or something. I'm just glad they were rescued- hopefully, they'll all eventually be able to find healthier and happier places to call home.