Archive for Thursday, December 1, 2005

More diversity

December 1, 2005

To the editor:

With all respect to Venida Chenault, I believe the Kansas Board of Education's recent decision regarding intelligent design provides indigenous people an unprecedented opportunity.

First Nations people should begin lobbying now to insist on inclusion of the teaching of native creation stories in public schools. The same holds for Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims and all diverse cultures whose beliefs depart from Judeo-Christian creationism. (I hesitate to include the growing cult of the Flying Spaghetti Monster here, but I suppose their views deserve to be taught also).

Once the underpaid science instructors of Kansas are forced to teach the entire plethora of "intelligent design" alternatives in their biology classes, the board's conservatives will be forced into pursuing one of three options: Live up to their own rhetoric and accommodate all religions equally, an impossible task; admit their only intent from the start was to accommodate only their own particular religious belief and thereby reveal themselves as tyrants and hypocrites; or repeal this awful decision by rediscovering what the founders of this nation knew more than two centuries ago, namely, that the only way to avoid the Byzantine mess of accommodating all religious perspectives, and thus safeguarding religious freedom, is to keep religion out of the public sphere, and out of the public classroom, entirely.

Jim Leiker,

Eudora

Comments

Kookamooka 9 years ago

Here, Here! I couldn't agree more entirely!!

craigers 9 years ago

For a lot of people religion and the practice of it are who they are so it would be really hard to keep their beliefs out of the public sphere. I am not the person that wants ID in the science class but I do think they should require a class that studies world religions. I know this class is probably already available but maybe if they make it a required class then the ID people wouldn't think that creationism is getting completely shut out of the picture. This would be a compromise for the current situation.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years ago

A good idea, craigers, but I don't think the IDers/creationists would like it at all that their creation myths would have to share billing with the myths of other religions. I think they are very insecure in their faith; otherwise, why would they be trying to reclassify it as "science?"

Ragingbear 9 years ago

I can't post it here without fear of getting the post removed. But take a look at the true Egyptian version of creation.

And although some people may think it is a joke, the Flying Spagetti Monster is real, and I would appreciate people accepting that. Now behold his noodly appendage! Argh!

craigers 9 years ago

jabotb, that's just it I don't see why christians are focusing so much time on ID being taught as science or even trying to debunk evolution. I specifically remember reading that Jesus said to go into all the world and preach the gospel. The gospel being the good news of Jesus Christ saving us from a life of sin and eternity in hell, not that God created/designed the earth. I will agree that is important but they could be doing so much more in spreading the gospel if they would focus this much energy in sharing their faith instead of trying to use politics.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years ago

craigers-- that's exactly what the first amendment is all about. It recognizes these christians' right to share and practice their faith without being penalized by the state for doing so. But it doesn't give them the right to make their faith the "state" religion. I don't share your faith, but I wish more of those who do were as confident in their faith as you are.