Archive for Monday, August 29, 2005

House fire blamed on candle in bedroom

August 29, 2005

Advertisement

A burning candle caused a fire that heavily damaged a house Saturday night in eastern Lawrence.

The candle was in a bedroom of the house at 1104 N.J., said Deputy Chief Mark Bradford, of Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical. Damage to the house and contents was estimated at between $65,000 to 70,000, Bradford said.

Several people were outside the house for a birthday party when the fire broke out about 10:30 p.m. No one was inside the house and no one was injured, Bradford said.

The owner of the home is listed as Bonita J. Yoder, according to the Douglas County Appraiser's Web site.

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 11 months ago

I am glad no one was inside. However the neighborhood is better off as the slum lord was allowing that property to be a "demolition by neglect" candidate. The property should be totaled and bull dozed. It was in rotten condition. Too bad the fire dept was prompt.

Scott Tichenor 9 years, 11 months ago

I live in the neighborhoold and can tell you this residents has been seriously neglected by the owner for the ten years I've witnessed. In walking by you can see that parts of the siding are literally falling off, the foundation is sagging and renters have told me that during the winter if the temperature drops near zero that it's difficult to get the heat over 60 degrees. One set of renters said they turned on the oven and left the door open to help heat. The insulation is virtually non-existant in the home. Demolition by neglect, indeed. We can only hope the next move is the city ordering a bull-dozer to take what remains down.

DKAG 9 years, 11 months ago

It amazes me how many homes need urgent repair or to be torn down all together especially on the east side and in north Lawrence. What a shame that these landlords can get away with this for as long as they do. The landlord responsible for this home should be brought up on criminal charges for letting a rental property become so run down. Lawrence is far too beautiful a town to let this continue!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.