Archive for Saturday, April 23, 2005

Southeast Lawrence in transition

April 23, 2005


Southeast Lawrence is in transition.

The Farmland fertilizer plant that sits at the eastern edge of the city closed a few years back - and while the future of the property remains in limbo, it's clear the plant and the land surrounding it constitute one of the next great frontiers in the city's growth.

A 54-acre patch of open land along the south side of Kansas Highway 10, at the eastern edge of Lawrence, is slated for construction now that it has been purchased by Lawrence developers Doug Compton and Bill Newsome. The owners, operating as Eastside Acquisitions LLC, intend to set aside 35 lots for new homes, 54 lots for new duplexes and 18 acres for a mixed-use development that includes: 55 townhomes and 200 apartments.

"We feel there's a significant amount of pent-up demand," Newsome said when the project was announced a year ago.

There's plenty of places to exercise and relax in southeast Lawrence, including the East Lawrence Center on 15th Street, and the Prairie Park Nature Center down in farthest southeast corner of town.

This part of town is also home to Haskell Indian Nations University, a federal Bureau of Indian Affairs college open to members from all the nation's recognized American Indian tribes.

The area is also home to the flurry of residential growth that happened in Lawrence right after World War II. In the western edge, closest to KU campus, about half the homes were built before 1952. To the south and east, however, a higher proportion of residences were buillt in the 1950s through the 1970s.

Throughout southeast Lawrence, there's generally a two-to-one ratio of homeowners to home renters, according to U.S. Census Bureau Records.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.