Archive for Sunday, October 31, 2004

Island’ near St. Joe popular

October 31, 2004

Advertisement

— Worthwine Island is one of those places that never seems quite permanent, but never quite goes away, either.

When Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery camped there on Sept. 11, 1806, the island lay on the western loop in the river. Today, the island does not exist.

The area is home to deer, turkey and squirrels. Anglers can walk to the river from a parking lot just inside the levee and catch trophy channel, blue and flathead catfish. A campground also is within easy walking distance of the parking lot.

Canoeists can visit the river side of Worthwine Conservation Area by putting in at Nodaway Island Access three miles upriver and floating down to the French Bottom Access in St. Joseph, about 13 miles downriver.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.