1. "Northern Lights," by Nora Roberts (Putnam, $25.95). In Lunacy, Alaska, the new chief of police finds romance and investigates a murder that was committed years earlier.
2. "The Da Vinci Code," by Dan Brown (Doubleday, $24.95). The murder of a curator at the Louvre leads to a trail of clues found in the work of Leonardo and to the discovery of a centuries-old secret society.
3. "The Plot Against America," by Philip Roth (Houghton Mifflin, $26). The experiences of a Jewish family in Newark after Charles A. Lindbergh defeats Franklin D. Roosevelt in the 1940 presidential election.
4. "The Two Swords," by R. A. Salvatore (Wizards of the Coast, $27.95). The final volume of the "Hunter's Blades" fantasy trilogy.
5. "The Gift," by Nora Roberts (Silhouette, $16.95). Reprints "Home for Christmas" (1986) and "All I Want for Christmas" (1994).
1. "America (The Book)," by Jon Stewart, Ben Karlin and David Javerbaum (Warner, $24.95). "The Daily Show" offers a lavishly illustrated parody of a civics textbook.
2. "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?" by George Carlin (Hyperion, $23.95). Another volume of observations and opinions from the stand-up comedian.
3. "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)," by Ann Coulter (Crown Forum, $26.95). A collection of the columnist's writing about what's wrong with liberals.
4. "Chronicles: Volume One," by Bob Dylan (Simon & Schuster, $24). Recollections and observations from the singer/songwriter.
5. "The Last Season," by Phil Jackson with Michael Arkush (Penguin Press, $24.95). The former coach of the Los Angeles Lakers recalls his final year with Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant.
Advice and miscellaneous
1. "He's Just Not That Into You," by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo (Simon Spotlight Entertainment, $19.95). How a woman can tell if a relationship is going nowhere.
2. "The Purpose-Driven Life," by Rick Warren (Zondervan, $19.99). Finding the meaning of life through God.
3. "Family First," by Phil McGraw (Free Press, $26). Dr. Phil's advice to parents on strengthening families and becoming the "best and most persuasive influence" in children's lives.
4. "The South Beach Diet," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $24.95). A weight-loss plan designed by a Miami cardiologist.
5. "Your Best Life Now," by Joel Osteen (Warner Faith, $19.99). A faith-based approach to living with enthusiasm.
-- The New York Times