1. "The Da Vinci Code," by Dan Brown (Doubleday, $24.95). The murder of a curator at the Louvre leads to a trail of clues found in the work of Leonardo and to the discovery of a centuries-old secret society.
2. "Glorious Appearing," by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins (Tyndale, $24.99). In the 12th volume of the "Left Behind" series, in which the forces of good battle the forces of evil, the Second Coming occurs.
3. "Nighttime Is My Time," by Mary Higgins Clark (Simon & Schuster, $25.95). Determined to avenge himself on the girls who rejected him in high school, a crazed killer targets his 20th class reunion.
4. "The Five People You Meet in Heaven," by Mitch Albom (Hyperion, $19.95). An old man who died while trying to rescue a little girl from danger discovers that all will be explained to him in the afterlife.
5. "Therapy," Jonathan Kellerman (Ballantine, $26.95). The psychologist-detective Alex Delaware investigates the murder of a couple in a lovers' lane.
1. "Plan of Attack," by Bob Woodward (Simon & Schuster, $28). A behind-the-scenes account of the Bush administration's decision making as it drew up plans to invade Iraq and overthrow Saddam Hussein.
2. "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," by Lynne Truss (Gotham, $17.50). An Englishwoman expounds on the use and misuse of punctuation marks.
3. "Against All Enemies," by Richard A. Clarke (Free Press, $27). President Bush's former counterterrorism coordinator criticizes the administration's handling of events before and after the 9-11 attacks.
4. "Three Weeks With My Brother," by Nicholas Sparks and Micah Sparks (Warner, $22). The novelist and his sibling describe their trip around the world.
5. "Worse Than Watergate," by John W. Dean (Little, Brown, $22.95). The man who served as counsel to President Richard Nixon offers an indictment of the Bush administration.
Advice and miscellaneous
1. "The South Beach Diet," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $24.95). A weight-loss plan designed by a Miami cardiologist.
2. "The South Beach Diet Cookbook," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $25.95). A collection of recipes from a Miami cardiologist.
3. "The Purpose-Driven Life," by Rick Warren (Zondervan, $19.99). Finding the meaning of life through God.
4. "Trump: How to Get Rich," by Donald J. Trump with Meredith McIver (Random House, $21.95). Advice on business strategy and creating personal wealth.
5. "The Ultimate Weight Solution," by Phil McGraw (Free Press, $26). Dr. Phil identifies "seven keys" to losing weight.
-- The New York Times