The Lawrence Rotary Club presented seven Douglas County social service agencies with their annual philanthropy financial awards totaling $9,295. Donna Bell, chairwoman of the philanthropy committee, presented the awards at the club's meeting on July 19.
Those who received the awards:
- O'Connell Youth Ranch, $1,000, to replace a fire escape and two decks.
- Douglas County Dental Clinic, $2,500, to update clinic equipment.
- Women's Transitional Care Services, $500, to purchase a multifunction fax, printer and copier.
- Achievement Place for Boys, $875, to purchase a kitchen stove.
- Meals on Wheels, $800, to purchase their first organizational computer.
- Mother to Mother of Douglas County, $800, to purchase accounting software, sponsor a client event and purchase chairs for the activity room.
- Brookcreek Learning Center, $2,820, to replace kitchen appliances.
The Lawrence Mentor's Duplicate Bridge Club met July 21. Five tables of competitors participated in a stratified game that followed a Mitchell movement. Don Brennaman directed the play.
Sitting North-South, Betty Spalsbury and Zack Anthony swept first place in A, B and C. Dick Moore and Bobbie McCorkle claimed second place in A, B and C.
Playing East-West, Al Ballard and Emily Foster finished in first place in A, B and C. Helen Huffman and Bob Huffman placed second in A and B.
The Lawrence Duplicate Bridge Club met Monday. Nine tables of competitors participated in a stratified game that followed a Mitchell movement. Virginia Seaver directed the play.
Playing North-South, Shirlie Vaughn and Sally Taylor claimed first place in A and B. Jerry Sloan and Patt Radford placed second in A. Shirley Reese and Chris Lane took second in B and tied for third in A with Julia Brooks and Lester Dalton. Mary Beth Treece and Bobbie McCorkle placed first in C.
Competing East-West, Phyllis Brownlee and Madelyn Jenks swept first place in A, B and C. Carol Ball and Mona Bell placed second in B and C and tied for second in A with Lois Jones and Jeff Nash.
University Bridge Club announces the winners of its July 24 game. Hosts were Al and Carol Smith and Mary and Leonard Fleske.
Blue winners were: Henry Wigington, first; Carl Schaake, second; and Don Whitaker, third.
Pink winners were: Dottie Miller, first; Jean Whitaker, second; and Mary Fleske, third.