City commissioners are scheduled to discuss water and wastewater rate increases for 2005.
Commissioners are considering two proposals for water rates. One would increase rates for typical residential users by about 11 percent, while the other would increase rates by about 7 percent. Commissioners are considering one plan for wastewater rates. It would increase bills for average wastewater users by approximately 10 percent to 15 percent.
- Approve minutes of Nov. 23 and Nov. 30 City Commission meetings.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses for Salty Iguana, 4931 W. Sixth St.; Bottleneck, 737 N.H.; It's Brothers Bar & Grill, 1105 Mass.; Liberty Hall, 642 Mass.; WA Restaurant, 740 Mass.; Fatso's, 1016 Mass.; retail liquor licenses for Texas Jack's Liquor, 3020 Iowa; Parkway Wine & Spirits, 3514 Clinton Parkway; and cereal malt beverage licenses for Alvamar Orchards, 3000 W. 15th St.; Amoco-Hillcrest, 914 Iowa; Amoco-Louisiana, 2301 La., Bullwinkle's, 1344 Tenn.; Checkers, 2300 La.; Chips, 454 B N. Iowa St.; Commerce Plaza BP, 3020 Iowa; Conoco, 955 E. 23rd St.; Conoco-Fastlane No. 3, 1414 W. Sixth St.; Conoco-Break Place, 2330 Iowa; Dillon Store No. 19, 4701 W. Sixth St.; Dillon Store No. 43, 1740 Mass.; Dillon Store No. 68, 3000 W. Sixth St.; Dillon Store No. 70, 1015 W. 23rd St.; Eagle Bend Golf Course, 1250 E. 902 Road; Eastside Tavern, 900 Pa.; El Matador Cafe, 446 Locust; Food-4-Less, 2525 Iowa; Godfather's Pizza, 721 Wakarusa Drive;
Henry's Crossing, 618 W. 12th St.; Hy-Vee Food Store, 3504 Clinton Parkway; Hy-Vee Gas Station, 4020 W. Sixth St.; Hy-Vee No. 2, 4000 W. Sixth St.; Jayhawk Food Mart, 701 W. Ninth St.; KOA Campground, 1473 U.S. Highway 40;
Kwik Shop No. 702, 1846 Mass.; Kwik Shop No. 718, 3440 W. Sixth St.; Kwik Shop No. 721, 845 Miss.; Kwik Shop No. 773, 1714 W. 23rd St.; Kwik Shop No. 784, 1420 Kasold Drive;
Kwik Shop No. 785, 1611 E. 23rd St.; Kwik Shop No. 786, 4841 W. Sixth St.; Lawrence Food Mart, 3300 W. Sixth St.; Mini Mart, 902 N. Second St.; Mojo's, 714 Vt.; Pick N Pay, 2447 W. Sixth St.; Pizza Hut, 4651 W. Sixth St.;
Pizza Hut, 600 W. 23rd St.; Pizza Hut, 934 Mass.; Presto Convenience No. 39, 1030 N. Third St.; Presto Convenience No. 31, 1802 W. 23rd St.; Quick's Bar-B-Q, 1527 W. Sixth St.; River City Ice Co., 4910 Wakarusa Court; Rock Chalk Car Wash, 1215 E. 23rd St.; Sam's Food Mart, 1910 Haskell Ave.; Site Service Station, 946 E. 23rd St.; St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 1229 Vt.; Star Food Mart, 501 W. Ninth St.; Super Target, 3201 Iowa; Texaco-Fastrack, 1733 Mass.; Wheat State Pizza, 711 W. 23rd St.; Yello Sub, 1814 W. 23rd St.; Zarco No. 4, 1500 E. 23rd St.; Zarco No. 6, 1415 W. Sixth St.
Approve appointments as recommended by mayor.
Bid and purchase items
- Approve low bid from Nowak Construction for Clinton Parkway sewer project in amount of $79,185. Approve acquisition of necessary property interests for the project from Aberdeen Apartments in the amount of $20,676.
- Authorize city manager to enter into contract with RD Johnson in the amount of $56,431.30 for completion of technical specifications for concrete work for bus bay, shelter relocation and installation contract at various sites.
- Approve recommended bids for 2005 water treatment chemicals.
- Authorize city manager to execute agreement with Tischler & Associates Inc. for fiscal impact study in the Phase I amount of $12,800.
- Authorize city manager to enter into a contract with Bartlett and West Engineering in the not-to-exceed amount of $313,702.30 for detailed design and construction phase services for the North Lawrence Pump Stations 1, 2 and 3 improvement project.
- Authorize the city manager to enter into a contract with Nutri-Ject Systems Inc. for $106,000 for biosolids land application services for 2005.
- Set bid opening date of Jan. 4 for the Neighborhood Resources Comprehensive Rehabilitation projects at 811 E. 11th St. and 2236 East Drive.
Adopt following ordinances on first reading:
- Rezone 26.712 acres from Agricultural to RS-2 Single-Family Residential District. The property is generally described as being north of Harvard Road (extended) and east of George Williams Way (extended).
- Establish reserved parking spaces for people with disabilities in front of 1505 Vt.
- Establish that traffic shall yield on 29th Street at Kensington Drive.
Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
- Establish no parking along the south side of Kresge Road along the entire frontage of 601 N. Iowa.
- Establish maximum special assessments for the improvement of Lake Pointe Drive and for Third Street between Alabama and Illinois streets.
Adopt resolution declaring boundaries of city of Lawrence and Douglas County.
Approve following site plans: Cornerstone Plaza 2, 1918 E. 23rd St.; Village Meadows Retirement Community, north of West Sixth Street and west of Congressional Drive.
Authorize the city manager to sign the project information form for the Save America's Treasures Grant from the National Park Service.
Authorize the mayor to sign a subordination agreement for Diane Bucia, 333 Johnson Ave.
- Approve site plan of city of Lawrence Evidence Storage Facility, 900 E. 15th St.
- Discuss proposed ordinance from Phil Bradley concerning restrictions on smoking in public places.
- Consider approving use permitted upon review request for a preschool at Googols of Fun, 4931 W. Sixth St.
- Receive revised 2005 water and wastewater rate information.
- Receive recommendations from Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Department on development code and land-use cooperation agreement with Kansas University.