The board will be asked to give first-round approval to a new policy on hazing. It would be added to a list of prohibited activities that already includes gang activity.
Hazing would be defined as "any action taken or situation created that causes ... harassment, bodily danger or physical harm, serious mental or emotional harm, extreme embarrassment or ridicule, or personal degradation or loss of dignity to any student or person associated with the school."
Need for the policy on hazing surfaced in May 2002. More than a dozen Lawrence High School students were suspended after participating in ritualistic spanking of sophomores.
The spank line has been a tradition for LHS seniors and sophomores. Some of the activities in 2002 were carried out with encouragement of parents and former students.
- Convene an executive session at 6:30 p.m. to discuss teacher contract negotiations and the superintendent's evaluation, with the regular meeting starting at 7 p.m.
- Offer special recognition of Hillcrest School and Free State Credit Union for the 2002-2003 Kansas partners in Education Award of Excellence.
- On the consent agenda, take final action on a resolution to not renew 66 certified staff for the 2003-2004 school year.
- Receive comment period from Scott Morgan, board president; Randy Weseman, superintendent; and board members.
- Consider a proposal by Lance Johnson of Peridian Group for the purchase of 1.8 acres north of Free State High School for construction of a street leading to a new housing development.
- Consider on final action a contract with Energy Education of Wichita Falls, Texas, for a program that would cut district energy costs by $3 million during seven years with an investment of $900,000.
- Consider an $8,247 contract with Senne and Co. of Topeka to install cafeteria acoustical panels at Deerfield School and a $23,032 contract with Western Fireproofing of Kansas City, Mo., to install cafeteria acoustical panels at Kennedy and Schwegler schools.
- Consider a $98,975 contract with XIOtech Corp. of Overland Park for a storage area network to improve reliability of the district's computer system.
- Consider an $11,680 contract with Acme Floor Co. of Lenexa to sand and refinish the gym floor at West Junior High School.
- Consider a $25,508 contract with Computer Information Concepts of Greeley, Colo., for computer software and support services to analyze student achievement on standardized tests.
- Consider a change in the date of graduation ceremonies for Free State High School and Lawrence High School.
- Consider setting the school board's transition meeting for noon July 1 at district headquarters, 110 McDonald Drive. Three new board members will take office.
- Consider on final action policies on planning for instruction, administrative personnel, records, employment nondiscrimination, and complaints of discrimination and harassment.
- Consider for preliminary approval policies on child abuse, job descriptions and prohibited practices.
- Receive a a budget update from Kathy Johnson, budget director.
- Receive a report on the district's math initiative from Lynda Allen, director of math and science.
- Receive a report on a review of a secondary English program by Ann Bruemmer, director of arts and humanities.
- Receive a report on a business partnership training workshop from Sarah Martin, director of the Business/Education Partnership.