Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, August 16, 2003

Your guide to campus landmarks

August 16, 2003

Advertisement

Hang on to this.

Here's a fun guide outlining the histories of several notable terms and buildings at Kansas University:

  • The Jayhawk, KU's mascot, has its origin in the historic struggles of Kansas settlers. The term "Jayhawk" was probably coined about 1848. Accounts of its use appeared from Illinois to Texas. The name combines two birds -- the blue jay and the sparrow hawk. During the 1850s, the Kansas Territory was a battleground between those wanting a state in which slavery would be legal and those committed to a Free State. The factions looted, sacked, rustled cattle, stole horses and otherwise attacked each other's settlements. For a time, ruffians on both sides were called Jayhawkers. During the Civil War, the Jayhawk's image gave way to patriotic symbol. Kansas Gov. Charles Robinson raised a regiment called the Independent Mounted Kansas Jayhawks. By war's end, the Jayhawks were synonymous with the impassioned people who made Kansas a Free State.

  • Mount Oread is the name of the hill on which KU's main campus sits. Among the first to settle the new territory was a band of New Englanders who, on the first day of August 1854, camped on this same site. This pioneer band called the ridge Mount Oread after Oread Institute in Massachusetts, which occupied a commanding site overlooking a town.

  • The Outlook, the name of the chancellor's residence, is derived from its wide and commanding view of the Kansas and Wakarusa river valleys.

  • Snow Hall opened in 1930. It is named after Francis Huntington Snow, who taught math and natural sciences at KU when it opened in 1866. Snow became KU's fifth chancellor. Courses taught in the building include natural sciences, math and computer science.

  • The Chi Omega fountain -- named because it was given to the university in 1955 by the sorority -- has been a campus landmark since 1955. It holds about 8,500 gallons of water. Students and others sometimes use the fountain to cool off in the summer.

  • The Campanile, KU's memorial bell tower, was built in 1946 to honor those killed in World War II. The Campanile tolls every quarter hour. During commencement, it is tradition for students to walk through the Campanile, down Campanile Hill and into Memorial Stadium.

  • Strong Hall, KU's main administration building, was built from 1909 to 1923. The building is named after Frank Strong, KU's sixth chancellor. it contains offices and classrooms. The hall is on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • Bailey Hall opened in 1900 and was named for chemistry professor E.H.S. Bailey, who came to KU in 1883. The building had various chimneys, which were removed during a 1950s renovation. The building houses the School of Education. It was placed on the Kansas Register of Historic Places in 1995.

  • Lippincott Hall opened in 1905 as Green Hall, the law school. It was renamed for KU's fourth chancellor, Joshua Lippincott, in 1979, when the law school moved to another building. Lippincott Hall houses classrooms for humanities and area studies programs. It also houses the Wilcox Classical Museum. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

The statue in front of Lippincott Hall is of a KU student and "Uncle" Jimmy Green, dean of the law school from 1879 to 1919. The statue was completed in 1924 by sculptor Daniel French, who created the seated Abraham Lincoln for the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.

  • Dyche Hall, completed in 1903, is named for professor, taxidermist and explorer Lewis Lindsay Dyche. The building was constructed, in part, to house the mounted specimens Dyche exhibited at the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago. Today, the building houses the Natural History Museum. Dyche Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

  • The Kansas Union is the larger of two student unions on campus. The original building was named the Kansas Memorial Union. It commemorated those from KU who died during World War I. The building opened in 1927. It has undergone extensive renovations, including one after an arson fire in 1970. The Burge Union, west of Allen Fieldhouse, opened in 1979. Both buildings contain several meeting rooms, a bookstore, a cafeteria and offices. The Kansas Union also houses a bowling alley and several other food venues.

  • Smith Hall, dedicated in 1967, houses religious studies. It is named for Irma I. Smith, Macksville, in honor of her generosity to the building fund.

  • The statue of the kneeling Moses in front of Smith Hall also was created by Tefft and installed in 1982. The burning bush is depicted in the stained glass in the south wall of the building.

  • Spooner Hall, which opened in 1894, is the oldest building on campus. It opened as the library and became KU's art museum in the 1920s. The Museum of Anthropology opened in the building in 1984. The building is named for William B. Spooner of Boston, a benefactor to KU. The hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

  • Danforth Chapel, dedicated in 1946, is the site of 80 to 100 weddings each year. The nondenominational chapel was funded by the Danforth Foundation of St. Louis and donations from private citizens.

  • Fraser Hall -- the building with two flags -- sits stop the highest point on campus and can be seen for many miles around Lawrence. It opened in 1967. Fraser Hall is named for John Fraser, KU's second chancellor. Sociology, psychology and anthropology are taught in the building.

  • Watson Library opened in 1924. It is named for Carrie Watson, who earned a KU degree in 1877 and was KU's librarian from 1887 to 1921. KU had 22,000 volumes when the first library opened. Today, Watson Library has about 1.4 million volumes.

  • Stauffer-Flint Hall was built in 1899 for machine and carpentry shops and a foundry. In 1952, it became the journalism building. In the 1950s, the building was named for former KU journalism professor Leon Nelson "Daddy" Flint, and in 1983, it became Stauffer-Flint Hall to honor Oscar S. Stauffer, journalist and founder of the William Allen White Foundation.

  • One floor of Wescoe Hall opened in 1973, and the entire building was opened in 1974. It is named for Clarke Wescoe, KU's 10th chancellor. The concrete plaza facing Jayhawk Boulevard is called Wescoe Beach.

  • Budig Hall originally was constructed in 1927 as Hoch Auditorium, which was used for theater, concerts, speakers, classes and, until Allen Fieldhouse was building in 1955, basketball. A fire sparked by lightning gutted Hoch in 1991. The building reopened in 1997 after renovation. Budig Hall is named for KU's 14th chancellor, Gene Budig. It houses a computer lab and large lecture halls.

  • Marvin Hall is named for F.O. Marvin, the first engineering dean. The building opened in 1909 as the engineering school. In 1912, KU added architectural engineering, and in 1913, a degree in architecture. In 1968 architecture became a separate school, and Marvin Hall became its home in 1976 when another building opened for engineering.

  • Lindley Hall was completed in 1943. It was used as a military barracks for trainees. In 1946, it became a classroom and lab building. The hall is named for Ernest Lindley, KU's seventh chancellor.

  • Allen Fieldhouse was dedicated in 1955. It is named after 39-year Jayhawk coach F.C. "Phog" Allen.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.