Archive for Sunday, June 30, 2002

UFO turns out to be cow

Angler amused to encounter adrift bovine

June 30, 2002


— The UFO, that's Unidentified Floating Object, was first suspected to be a carcass of a sea lion.

Whatever it was, the skipper of the New Lo-An from Point Loma Sportfishing decided to top a successful day of albacore fishing recently by trying to get one last bite.

Most things found floating on the ocean become fish magnets, so skipper Nick Cates trolled by the UFO and, sure enough, got a jig strike.

As the boat drifted closer to the carcass and the angler reeled in the albacore, Cates took a closer look at the UFO, now bobbing on the surface 20 yards away.

"I hadn't even been looking at it that much," he said. "I looked up and saw a black tail. I'm going, 'What's this tail doing (here)?' I look at the head and sure as heck, there's a big ear and a horn (sticking out of the water)."

It was a black cow.

Asked by anglers how the cow got out there, Cates replied, "How the heck do I know? It jumped off a cruise ship. Its romantic affair went wrong and it committed suicide."

Others joked it was on its honeymooooon.

The logical answer is that the cow belonged to the range along the Baja Peninsula, died near the water and got washed out to sea, a one-knot current to the northwest carrying it into view of the homeward-bound New Lo-An.

"It's the first time we've been able to rustle up a cow," Cates said.

Suffice to say, it was a mooooving experience.

From the wild file:

A grisly discovery was made by commercial fishermen in Bangkok, Thailand while unloading their catch. A human leg was found sticking out of the mouth of a 12-foot white shark, the Associated Press reported.

A man's right forearm was recovered from the shark's stomach. Bite marks were found on both limbs. DNA tests were to be performed to identify the victim.

A pair of 11-year-olds combined to land a 162-pound halibut from a boat dock in Ketchikan, Alaska.

Zachary Hamilton and Gregory Johnson hooked up the halibut on a cut herring and 30-pound test off Knudson Cove Marine dock.

They fought the fish for more than two hours, climbing into a boat at the end of the dock to prevent tangles.

"Gregory started reeling it in," Hamilton told the Juneau Empire. "Then he gave it back to me, and we started giving it back and forth."

At the end of the battle, a charter skipper harpooned the tired halibut and tied it to a buoy. Another skipper shot the fish, a typical practice for subduing huge halibut in Alaska.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.