These classes will help you follow through on fitness goals
photo by: Mike Yoder for LMH Health/Contributed Photo
It’s the perfect time of year to follow through on promises to create a healthier life, perhaps by running more or taking a fitness class.
The staff at LMH Health’s Performance and Wellness Center — at Sports Pavilion Lawrence at Rock Chalk Park — are eager to help you achieve your goals. The center serves athletes and nonathletes of all ages.
“We pride ourselves on meeting people at whatever fitness level they are and helping them make progress,” said Joe DeLeo, strength and conditioning specialist at the center.
One new class that DeLeo is particularly excited about is Run Strong.
“We want to build injury resilience for runners and improve sports performance and build capacity,” he said.
As an introduction to the class, the Performance and Wellness Center is hosting a free one-hour workshop at 7 p.m. Feb. 25 that will focus on runner’s knee. At the workshop, participants will hear a short presentation about runner’s knee, including what can cause it, how to reduce its effects and how to prevent it. To register for the workshop, visit bit.ly/2RtPDay. For more information, call 785-505-5840.
photo by: LMH Health/Contributed Photo
The class, which is focused on helping runners who are college-age and older, would benefit both serious runners who want to concentrate on strength and conditioning as well as new runners who might want to train for a 5K, 10K or marathon.
Classes will be Monday and Wednesday evenings, March through May. More information about the class will be available at the workshop, where participants will receive a discount on class fees. For more information, call 785-505-5840.
Other classes and events that could help you fulfill your goals for lifelong health include:
• Spring break camp for elementary and middle school students on March 11, 12 and 13. Camp for elementary students in third through fifth grades will be 11 a.m. to noon. Camp for middle school students (sixth- through eighth-graders) will be 12:45 to 2 p.m.
“We’re going to work a lot on movement skills: speed, agility, jumping, landing, running, throwing,” DeLeo said. “I don’t think they need any prior experience. If they’re new to athletics, this is a great opportunity to get some coaching in a fun, stress-free environment.” To register or for more information, visit lmh.org/perform.
• An adult movement and strength class, from 12:30 to 1:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
“That is a class that is excellent for adults throughout their lives, regardless of age,” DeLeo said. “We focus on improving range of motion, balance and strength — all of the things you’ll be using on a daily basis, whether it’s picking up groceries or picking up a grandchild.” For more information and to register, visit lmh.org/perform.
• Tai chi, which includes four class levels. A new class session starts Monday. A class for beginners is 8:15 to 9 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. An intermediate class is 1:45 to 2:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Advanced class (part one) is 9:30 to 10:15 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays. Advanced class (part two) is 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays. For more information and to register, visit lmh.org/wellness/fit-for-life/.
• Golf performance class from 9 to 10 a.m. on Tuesdays and Fridays.
“The class is exactly what the name says,” DeLeo said. “It’s focusing on improving mobility to make sure they can get through the golf swing and on increasing power.” For more information or to register, visit lmh.org/perform.
• One-on-one training in 30- or 60-minute sessions. For more information or to register, visit lmh.org/perform.
You can also get more information on all classes by calling 785-505-5840.
“If you want to work on improving your fitness and strength, we can help you,” DeLeo said. “It doesn’t have to be sports-related. It could be that you just want to become healthier.”
— Caroline Trowbridge is marketing communications manager for LMH Health, which is a major sponsor of the Lawrence Journal-World’s Health section. She can be reached at email@example.com.